Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Future Direction? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!

Right, now that's out of my system. There was a full set of new releases scheduled before they did the repaints and to be honest the repaint are needed due to the longevity of the game thus far.

New players simply do not have access to these ships so it was a logical plan to re-release the more popular ships and get some of the money that scalpers were charging for them. We had 4 new players join our OP scene last month and priority one for them was "where can we find X ship" which the repaint are going to help a lot with (especially the dominion player).

The following ships were slated for release but pushed back due to the repaints:
Assimilated Vessel 77139 Expansion Pack
U.S.S. Yosemite Expansion Pack
I.R.W. Jolan Tru Expansion Pack
Einstein Expansion Pack
I.K.S. Klothos Expansion Pack
I.R.W. Devoras Expansion Pack
Assimilator 84 Expansion Pack

So assuming the current schedule is still right, and that each wave will have 2 repaints and a new ship, that all of next year covered for releases. Plenty more ships in Trek as well.

Additionally there has been down scaling in several other tournament scenes as well, the local X-Wing prizes have been down scaled considerably for instance (and caused quite the rage from the local community).
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that there are still new ships in the pipeline, and there are more available if needed. And heaven knows I've heard plenty of complaints that the old release schedule(s) were too fast.

I am reminded, however, of the discussions when this game was just starting out. We could be pretty clear that there were enough ships to last through when the license needed to be renewed, but renewing the license just to print more variations of "that ship that appeared in that one episode" might not be worth it. And that license was rumored to be for...three years. Granted, that would have been this summer, and the spigot hasn't turned off yet. But I haven't heard any announcements about a renewal, either, which leaves open the question of how far off the three year rumor was.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the biggest thing is that we (especially myself) got spoiled getting 3 new releases a montb for so many months that getting previews almost every week became something I for one really looked forward too.

When it slowed down for the summer I figured that was actually kind of nice since summer is really busy but now that the Enterprise B is out (and I've modeled ghe extra bits/repainted it) I am really yearning to see a release schedule for the next couple months.

With Star Trek Frontiers out the door it doesn't seem too unrealistic to ask for some feedback from Wizkids on where things are headed.


I think what Wizkids could do at this point to bolster releases is throw the first years prize ships into the retail release window to buff it out quickly.



Lastly, considering how quickly most of the repaints and new releases have been disappearing on the online stores I think the game is far from being "done".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer1701d wrote:
Where do you go to keep "in the know" about what WK's is planning to do with STAW?


Here mostly, also listen to some of the STAW Podcasts as they can get breaking attack wing news sometimes.

The BGG STAW community is by far the best source of information.

MaximumDT wrote:
I think what Wizkids could do at this point to bolster releases is throw the first years prize ships into the retail release window to buff it out quickly.


Really wish they would do that, they kinda did it with the Tholian and the Gorn but the completionist in me wants a Sutherland but does not want to pay through the nose for it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget, they also released retail variants for the Fed and Dom fighters.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
Don't forget, they also released retail variants for the Fed and Dom fighters.


Also very true, and they were both superior to the OP version.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Have the OP versions of those fighters been ruled as purely resources or are they counted as ships? Because if its the former, they can't be used in OPs, correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They count as a resource, although if you have the retail fighters of the same type you can field both the named and the generic as the movement temples, dial and model are the same.

so yeh, you cannot use them in OP's. Our local TO ruled you can use them, but cannot use the ship text so they count as generic fighters.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I thought. Thanks. ^^
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Bono
msg tools
Typheron wrote:


Here mostly, also listen to some of the STAW Podcasts as they can get breaking attack wing news sometimes.

The BGG STAW community is by far the best source of information.

MaximumDT wrote:
I think what Wizkids could do at this point to bolster releases is throw the first years prize ships into the retail release window to buff it out quickly.


Really wish they would do that, they kinda did it with the Tholian and the Gorn but the completionist in me wants a Sutherland but does not want to pay through the nose for it.


Which STAW podcasts are currently producing episodes outside of Warp Core Breach (which is awesome)? I caught the very tail end of Red Maneuver's run (it seems like they're on permanent hiatus) and I haven't found anyone else.

I would also absolutely love to see some of the older prize ships being released. As someone who has considered a $70 Ch'Tang, I would happily give the money directly to WK.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Shipyard currently produces vids about various STAW things, I mostly catch them on youtube.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
littleshiplives wrote:
Typheron wrote:


Here mostly, also listen to some of the STAW Podcasts as they can get breaking attack wing news sometimes.

The BGG STAW community is by far the best source of information.

MaximumDT wrote:
I think what Wizkids could do at this point to bolster releases is throw the first years prize ships into the retail release window to buff it out quickly.


Really wish they would do that, they kinda did it with the Tholian and the Gorn but the completionist in me wants a Sutherland but does not want to pay through the nose for it.


Which STAW podcasts are currently producing episodes outside of Warp Core Breach (which is awesome)? I caught the very tail end of Red Maneuver's run (it seems like they're on permanent hiatus) and I haven't found anyone else.

I would also absolutely love to see some of the older prize ships being released. As someone who has considered a $70 Ch'Tang, I would happily give the money directly to WK.


Warp Core Breach is the last one (Shipyard is by the same person, David Montgomery) State of the Federation might possibly pop up once in awhile, I don't think they have ruled that out, but I don't think any of them are operating.

WK occasionally does video for other games in their stable but not in STAW.

You would think they would produce ships like the Ch'Tang but for some reason they don't. The mini is quite a common one so you'd think that wouldn't be the issue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Neumann
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But its still an issue. The new Voyager reprint came out and it was already disappeared. I'm looking for a Voyager repaint and can't find any online. are there any FLGS that have this ship - in NYC?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hesse honnolly
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What I heard from someone who works at wizkids, is Star Trek online ships are coming. The recent enterprise E pack has an STO unlock included, so its confirmed in my eyes.

I think the game has a good number of ppl who buy the models regardless of the game, my community is made up of 85% casuals.. we have more ppl on our "for fun" friday nights than we do at tournaments
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt I
msg tools
mbmbmb
Neumann wrote:
But its still an issue. The new Voyager reprint came out and it was already disappeared. I'm looking for a Voyager repaint and can't find any online. are there any FLGS that have this ship - in NYC?


We have tons of Voyager repaints at my store. No one is really getting those. All of us who play already have it. If you still can't find one PM me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
State of the Federation might possibly pop up once in awhile, I don't think they have ruled that out, but I don't think any of them are operating.


Will quit STAW after Nationals at Origins, so I think unless Tucker takes over SoTF, they're done. The Red Maneuver folks haven't posted anything in 7-8 months I believe.

I personally liked Tucker's input better anyways, regardless of his bumpy ride in the community both here and on FB.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to buy Voyager repaints online, but let me see if anyone else in my area wants them still. For some reason they never came in at my store. :/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this is common, but the one store I know of carrying STAW is only buying new ships (a couple of copies) but not the reprints. On the other hand, you should see the X-Wing display. I have to admit those ships are pretty and I like the Ghost/Phantom combo.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me to clarify: I order the Voyager repaint, but apparently WK didn't make enough to meet demand?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
I had to buy Voyager repaints online, but let me see if anyone else in my area wants them still. For some reason they never came in at my store. :/


We had the same problem whit the Enterprise B, the store only received one from the UK distributor who stated limited stocks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Voyagers went the first day at my local game store.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.