Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my wife was thinking she might enjoy this, so i'm willing to give it a shot...but have a question:

i read where the rules say you play until someone has 4 "artifacts" (i believe, or something like that) of the 5...BUT, many BGG'ers suggest playing until someone has just 2...so:

- if we "adjusted" and went with 3 (for example) needed to win, and were playing with 3 players...what happens if players A & B each have 2 of the 3 needed, and player C has 1? since i believe there are only 5 total in the game, would we then need to steal from/defeat another player to reach the "game ending" conditions for a win?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if all of the artifacts are recovered and no one has met the victory condition then the players fight each other to capture the artifacts they need to win.

I'm not sure why you would change the victory conditions. They work fine. Once the players are strong enough to go for the artifacts, the game usually ends quite quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Yes, if all of the artifacts are recovered and no one has met the victory condition then the players fight each other to capture the artifacts they need to win.

I'm not sure why you would change the victory conditions. They work fine. Once the players are strong enough to go for the artifacts, the game usually ends quite quickly.
i was just going by all the posts/videos i've seen here on BGG...and most agree that 4 of the 5 makes for a very very long game, and changing that to 2 of the 5 works better...

i've never played, but i think i wouldn't go below 3 of 5...but i suppose that could change once we play as well...

i'll assume then that if you're victorious when attacking another player you get to choose your reward? (and that it's not up to the defeated player; otherwise you'd never get that last artifact you need)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
i was just going by all the posts/videos i've seen here on BGG...and most agree that 4 of the 5 makes for a very very long game, and changing that to 2 of the 5 works better...

That's not right. That variant doesn't change the length of the game, much. Once you are strong enough to get one artifact, the rest go quickly.

If Alice has 2 artifacts and Bob has 1 and Carol has 1, then the game is almost over, because someone will get the 5th artifact within the next couple of turns, and then the players will fight the Final Battle, and someone will win. You're at least 90% done with the game at the point that Alice gets her second artifact.

The only reason to play to 2 out of 5 rather than 4 out of 5 is not to shorten the game, but because you don't enjoy the Final Battle where the players fight each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
John_VW wrote:

That's not right. That variant doesn't change the length of the game, much. Once you are strong enough to get one artifact, the rest go quickly.

If Alice has 2 artifacts and Bob has 1 and Carol has 1, then the game is almost over, because someone will get the 5th artifact within the next couple of turns, and then the players will fight the Final Battle, and someone will win. You're at least 90% done with the game at the point that Alice gets her second artifact.

The only reason to play to 2 out of 5 rather than 4 out of 5 is not to shorten the game, but because you don't enjoy the Final Battle where the players fight each other.
oh....i assumed that one player needed 4 of the 5 to win!

you know, i think i'm def going to get the game but after reading all the issues everyone has had with the 2 expansions, i think i'll be skipping them...(seems to be issues with misprints on cards, boards, cards not the correct color, etc)...your thoughts? (if you have either/both of the expansions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A single player does need 4 artifacts to win. David is saying that if 4 artifacts have been gained, then the game is almost over, because that fifth is very close and the final battle doesn't take long. He's also saying that once someone's ready to grab an artifact, it's close to the end of the game because if you're strong enough to get one, you're strong enough to get more.

I play with some portions of Dragon and Water Realm whenever I play (always the adventure cards, races and varied guardians; sometimes with the special realms). The slight mismatches/color variances really don't make a big difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest you play the game several times and then if you're enjoying it a lot and you want to play a lot more then get the expansions. You don't need them to find out if you like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I would suggest you play the game several times and then if you're enjoying it a lot and you want to play a lot more then get the expansions. You don't need them to find out if you like the game.
that's what i'd normally do, but these seem to be rather hard to find...and if it weren't for the various issues i would just get them now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hoche
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We enjoy Prophecy very much with the Dragon Realm with the co-op rules. It is on our top 10 of games to play. We found the competitive way of playing took too long. Others may have a different opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark_of_Heresy wrote:
We enjoy Prophecy very much with the Dragon Realm with the co-op rules. It is on our top 10 of games to play. We found the competitive way of playing took too long. Others may have a different opinion.
are the "co-op rules" included with this expansion? and if so, do you simply play "as written"...or have you home-ruled some?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark_of_Heresy wrote:
and how about the issues with the Dragon realm board? (misprints, i believe)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon Realm includes co-op rules in the rulebook.

The misprint on the board is a little annoying but it only affects setup, and it can be covered up with a printable sticker. (I think one or two cards might have minor misprints but they don't really adversely affect the game. They also intended to print Race cards in varying quantities rather than one each, but it's great as is, really.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.