GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,767 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Do you enjoy "spawning" new board game enthusiests? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had two recent experiences where I introduced standard board game/card game players to some of my games, and they were very enthusiastic to say the least. A couple of them mentioned how they couldn't wait to play "X" again and were considering buying the games for themselves.

The first scenario was at a camping trip, and I introduced the group to Settlers of Catan (pretty standard trick). They play a lot of Canasta and Scrabble. At first, they made fun of the phrase "resource management" and the idea of trading sheep, wheat, etc., but by the time we finished, they LOVED the game.

The second scenario was this last weekend with some old co-workers. They posted on FB about having a game night and playing Risk. I asked them if they'd like to come over and try one of my games, which we did. I showed them Betrayal at House on the Hill. Again, it was so well received and all of them asked if we could have another game night soon...we will be playing this coming Saturday as a result.

I REALLY enjoyed turning people on to these kinds of games, and I hope to do more of it. How do you feel about converting people? Is it something you enjoy? Have you been very successful? What kinds of games do you introduce to new people? Just curious...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are married you have the duty to spawn new board gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you mean my kids, you bet.

Pete (has trained them up proper)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaha!

Chris (spawned in quotation marks so hopefully nobody thinks I mean procreation)

P.S. That said, i think we all enjoy the act of spawning...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really do enjoy bringing new people into the fold. Now I know that probably sounds selfish of me but my problem is that I feel the need to introduce them to many of the gateway games first. I already play lots of those gateways at home already so I want to play the heavier games come game night. Hopefully I can eventually wean them onto heavier games, which are my preference. Yet until/if that happens I feel a responsibility to play those gateway games with them in order to grow their interest. Sometimes I have to just tell others to count me out of games I'd much rather be playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Someday Asagi will be the main character of her very own game.
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother created a gaming enthusiast out of me several years ago, and I've converted a few of my friends since then.

On the topic of spawning, I'm expecting my first board gamer 2.0 in April of 2017. ^___^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not interested in spawning them in either sense of the word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcarvin wrote:
I really do enjoy bringing new people into the fold. Now I know that probably sounds selfish of me but my problem is that I feel the need to introduce them to many of the gateway games first. I already play lots of those gateways at home already so I want to play the heavier games come game night. Hopefully I can eventually wean them onto heavier games, which are my preference. Yet until/if that happens I feel a responsibility to play those gateway games with them in order to grow their interest. Sometimes I have to just tell others to count me out of games I'd much rather be playing.

Heard. That recent group I played Betrayal@HotH kind of wanted to play Scythe, but I felt it was important to play simpler games and work them into a heavier game as they start discovering/learning different kinds of mechanics. I think you can really turn people the other way if you dump something overwhelming on them before they are ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haynes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

I can't wait until mine gets a bit older and we can have that third player running amok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Velleman
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I basically make it one of my life goal!

I've "infected" my co-workers with this bug; being so successful has having an older lady go out by herself to a gaming store and buying her own copy of Splendor AND tracking down the official play mat for it (that I have not been able to find myself)!

I have also started a gaming group with my father in law and we went trough Takenoko, Tickets to Ride, Splendor, Rhino Hero, Catacombs, New York 1901 and we are now working through Pandemic Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It always makes me super happy when my friends (who, with one exception, aren't really gamers themselves) like playing one of my games, because that means I get to play more games with people I like and enjoy spending time with.
And I have lately had several good experiences in that regard. However I don't think I've ever gotten anybody into the hobby in the sense that they started buying games for themselves. Though I have once inspired a friend to buy Mysterium for her mother, because she liked it so much and thought her mother would as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:

You're missing out in both senses of the word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JRietveld wrote:
Legomancer wrote:

You're missing out in both senses of the word.

I'm doing fine, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vryllyn wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

I can't wait until mine gets a bit older and we can have that third player running amok.
One of the best thing about them is that they totally buy in to the game's story!

Pete (loves playing thematic games with the kids)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Africa Brass v. 1 & 2
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm cool with spawning; it's the swimming past the bears and over the dams that wears me out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I'm cool with spawning; it's the swimming past the bears and over the dams that wears me out.

How about your flesh rotting on the riverbank?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JRietveld wrote:
I'm requoting this just to remove the context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

I'm requoting this just to make it seem like Brian said it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JRietveld wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

I'm requoting this just to make it seem like Bryan said it.
I'm requoting this to spell my name correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
The first scenario was at a camping trip, and I introduced the group to Settlers of Catan (pretty standard trick). They play a lot of Canasta and Scrabble. At first, they made fun of the phrase "resource management" and the idea of trading sheep, wheat, etc., but by the time we finished, they LOVED the game.

Cool! Glad you had fun!

When I'm talking about games to people who aren't board gamers, I usually don't talk about mechanics -- so though I might think about Paperback as a deckbuilder that incentivizes skipped choices like in Puerto Rico, for newer people, I just say "It's kinda like Scrabble but with cards." Similarly, I'd say Catan is a game about building little cities and making good trades.

Unless it's Codenames... then I say "uh, you're sorta spies, I guess, but it's really just a team-based word guessing game with a fun twist."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.