Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Side missions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I am really liking this game but I am confused with the what missions to play.

According to the campaign guide you play a story mission and then side mission, story mission, then side mission. It looks like it go's back and forth.

Is this right or am I doing this wrong?

I play a lot of board games and somehow this is confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
When you get going, it is a very nice structure.

It is not strictly alternating. You start with the starting/intro mission of the campaign (Aftermath for the core campaign), then you go in the order of the campaign log (see the back of the campaign book). There are always at least 2 side mission to choose from when playing a side mission slot, and at least 1 story mission when playing a story mission (put into play by the previous story mission).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vader813 wrote:
I am really liking this game but I am confused with the what missions to play.

According to the campaign guide you play a story mission and then side mission, story mission, then side mission. It looks like it go's back and forth.

Is this right or am I doing this wrong?

I play a lot of board games and somehow this is confusing.

Look at the back of the campaign book. The campaign log, where you write your campaign progress, indicates what kind of missions you're supposed to play at what stages. It's different for different campaigns (for example, the campaigns for the small box expansions don't have any side missions). Also, if the imperial player plays any forced missions, those don't take any of the spots in the campaign progression, but instead have their own place to record them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
and at least 1 story mission

At least? I don't have very much experience yet, but it seems to me that there'd always be exactly one available story mission. Is "multiple available story missions" a thing that actually happens in some campaigns, or is your wording just a precaution for future campaigns that might have that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign structure doesn't limit a campaign to a single story thread, although all story missions in the current campaigns only put 1 replacement story mission into play.
Rules Reference Guide, Missions, Story and Side Missions wrote:
· During each Mission Stage, the heroes choose one active mission to resolve.
-- The campaign log lists the type of active mission the heroes can choose during each Mission Phase. For example, if it says "Story Mission" the heroes must choose an active Story Mission to resolve. There is often only one active Story Mission at a time.

(Emphasis mine)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
a1bert wrote:

At least? I don't have very much experience yet, but it seems to me that there'd always be exactly one available story mission. Is "multiple available story missions" a thing that actually happens in some campaigns, or is your wording just a precaution for future campaigns that might have that?

Well, technically with Twin Shadows or Bespin Gambit, you have multiple story missions in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
a1bert wrote:

Well, technically with Twin Shadows or Bespin Gambit, you have multiple story missions in a row.

Also doesn't the Empire have an ability to add a story mission like they do with side missions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Also doesn't the Empire have an ability to add a story mission like they do with side missions?

No. You might be thinking of Forced Missions, which interrupt the campaign. They are neither Story Missions nor Side Missions.

Forced Missions are removed from the Agenda deck in the mini-Campaigns, so they can't show up in the small boxes either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.