Subject: Attack with large figures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vader813 wrote:
I have a really stupid ? but going to ask anyways.

When it comes to large figures like (e-web) or even the AT-ST. In order for them to attack a figure they obviously have to have line of sight, But what if the AT-ST or e-web are facing different directions and the target is right behind them. A large figure has to be looking at the figure right?

lol I know its stupid..

There is no such thing as "facing" in IA. They can attack and move in any direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Up
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
grant5 wrote:
Vader813 wrote:

When it comes to large figures like (e-web) or even the AT-ST. In order for them to attack a figure they obviously have to have line of sight, But what if the AT-ST or e-web are facing different directions and the target is right behind them. A large figure has to be looking at the figure right?

lol I know its stupid..

There is no such thing as "facing" in IA. They can attack and move in any direction.

This is correct.

Thematically though, if the direction the mini is pointing is opposite of who is being shot, you can turn them around as long as they cover the same exact squares. This way it doesn't look so strange and thematically helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no facing in Imperial Assault.

See Large Figures from the RRG. You pick one space of the attacking figure and one space of the target figure (or object) to determine line of sight and the required accuracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Yeah that makes sense, I understand that there is no actually "Facing" in this game. I just thought is was kind of weird because it looks funny for a AT-ST to shoot backwards. But I guess you can just move the figure around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they have rear view mirrors. Mirror-signal-manoeuvre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keitharchaeologist wrote:
Maybe they have rear view mirrors. Mirror-signal-manoeuvre.

This is the most likely and logical possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
MeepleUp wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Vader813 wrote:

lol I know its stupid..

This is correct.

Thematically though, if the direction the mini is pointing is opposite of who is being shot, you can turn them around as long as they cover the same exact squares. This way it doesn't look so strange and thematically helps.

Yeah, I typically do this. I also have minis face the direction they're attacking- it's a game afterall, and the immersion helps with the fun of it.

The only thing to note is that 90 degree turns for large figures are NOT free, and do cost a movement point. But that's also more for tactical or mechanical purposes, not strictly aesthetic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Pavetic
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
So if facing doesn't matter, does that mean I can have an AT-ST run backwards toward a target since there is no "facing"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roflcopter72 wrote:
So if facing doesn't matter, does that mean I can have an AT-ST run backwards toward a target since there is no "facing"?

Yes. Or you can turn it around for free. As long as a figure still occupies only the space it originally occupied you can "face" it any direction you choose without any cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roflcopter72 wrote:

'backwards' and 'sideways' are valid movement directions.

Technically there is no backwards or forwards or left or right. Every figure moves one space at a time, large figures only using orthogonal directions, small figures can also move diagonally. (See movement examples from the end of the RRG.)

To fit through 2-space-wide corridors, sometimes the 2x3 figures need to rotate 90 degrees (which also costs 1 movement point). Rotation is also useful in trying to gain line of sight to rebel figures or leaving line of sight yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.