Subject: Gaming Table/Chairs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: table [+] [View All]
Xian Rotide
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK all, I'm looking for good/great/incredible deals on tables and chairs for gaming.

I'm going to be putting everything in the basement, so asthetics are absolutely no issue, but functionality is a top concern. I'm considering 2x cafeteria style tables and ~8 chairs.

This will be for boardgaming and possibly miniature gaming. I realize that some games could force people to play on the two tables combined or use a "top" to get the larger space, so I'll take any suggestions for that as well.

All recommendations welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Xian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lee
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poker Table Tops are great for gaming. The felt has a nice feel yet its hard and flat enough for gameboards to lie 100% flat. Also, the ones with bumpers are good so that pieces never fall off the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
First (and foremost): comfortable chairs. I can't stress that enough. You are going to be in them for a while, so make sure they have a cushion.

Second: sturdy table. If you are shopping live (vs. online), lean on the table. If it wiggles just from leaning, you need a sturdier table. We bought a very sturdy dining room table for the downstairs game room and have not regretted the investment. At some time or another, everyone leans on the table to reach for something or just to get a better view of the game. Take that into account.

Third: comfortable chairs. Yes, I mentioned it before. But it bears repeating. Also consider how well (or poorly) arms on a chair will work in your space. Do you need wheels or solid feet? If your gaming buddies are "gamer large", sturdy chairs will last longer. I'm just sayin'...

Will you post pics once you get the game room set up? I love to see what other people have done. Good luck and have fun shopping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeyMike79 wrote:
Poker Table Tops are great for gaming. The felt has a nice feel yet its hard and flat enough for gameboards to lie 100% flat. Also, the ones with bumpers are good so that pieces never fall off the table.

The poker tables with a reversible top, while more expensive, also give you two great gaming options. Felt top for smaller games and Euros, hard top for larger wargames or boardgames where you need more space around the edges for "bits."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Cole
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've seen some good deals at Sam's Club for both folding tables and chairs of various sizes and paddings.

Forest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Target sells a large round table which might not be great for smallish games but works very well with big board games. The have plastic tops but if you add a felt tablecloth you are ready to go.

Smaller Version

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-10/qid=1178221908/...

The huge version:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-18/qid=1178221834/...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
Dog Boy wrote:
Buy used, not new. Look for business that are going out of business, most like you can find office chairs for the comfy ones.

Go to resale or donation store specializing in furniture to fina a table. They go cheap (Well cheaper than new) they are sturdy and last longer.

Dog Boy

I agree. Don't buy new. Just a waste. Find a Goodwill or Deseret Industries and buy from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want something cheap then you can get some really nice folding tables from Costco, Lowes or Home Depot. I've seen the same table in all three places. I have three of them and they are very nice, not wobbly and cheap. They come in two sizes, one is 6 foot by 2 1/2 feet and the other is 4 foot by 2 1/2 feet. Costco also has nice padded folding chairs that are pretty comfy. A couple of the 6 footers should suit you fine if you have the room. For minis play you can put the tables together for a nice 5' x 6' space. They are pretty cheap too, I think the ones I picked up at Costco are $40 or $50 and the folding chairs were about $15.

If you want to have something a little nicer you might try a used office furniture place and look for a nice conference table set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Morris
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to throw in my $0.02 worth, I picked up 4 tables from Staples for $50 (CAN) each and they delivered them for free. I've had them for around 10 years now and it was the best $200 I've spent in a long time. The only suggestion here is buy all the tables you need all at the same time. They tend to change manufacturers / specifications frequently and thus you may end up with tables that don't match.

I wouldn't jump up and down in the center of them, but leaning/reaching across the tables is no issue. We use them for LAN parties and have used them with two 20" monitors (note, CRT not LCD) on the table for an entire 20 hour session with no issues at all.

Some of the new padded folding chairs (Staples/Costco/etc.) also hold up quite well. I've sat on one of them for more than a few hours (6 hour session of Descent) with no issues at all. Just a heads up, please note the maximum weight listing on the chairs, they MEAN it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.