April
May
June
Early July
Late July
August
Early September
Onwards: to come!)

September: take 2. As with our only previous loss, it felt weird setting up – firstly, in not going through the Legacy deck, and secondly, in having to choose some events.

And I’d suggest not reading the following unless you’ve read all of the previous report. Go back and read early September first – and if you haven’t because you haven’t reached necessary spoilers, go play more Legacy!

Our infections were mixed. On the plus side all three trios were non C0da – the first in Taipei, generating a new Military Base to replace the one in Asia we’d destroyed last game, and the other two in adjacent cities in America – Miami and Bogota. Several of the other infections were in Faded areas however. As for opening hands: I turned mine over and went “great, I’ve nearly got a Yellow cure – three Yellow and a Blue.” Nicole turned hers over: “huh, me too!”

We needed a change to our character selection, with both Spike’s betrayal and a need to achieve the quarantine 7 cities objective. Tina the Quarantiner was the obvious choice, but who would we take to accompany her? She already had two relationships – rivals with Mike the Medic, Family Members with Ollie the Ops Expert. Mike was a tempting partner, but we really wanted some way to deal with the Faded – so we eventually opted to introduce Valerie the Virologist. She needed a relationship, so eventually we decided she was a Co-worker’s of Mike. I took Tina and Nicole took charge of our new joiner Valerie.

I began and we set our pawns in Atlanta. I moved to Miami, treated, quarantined, and threw a quarantine marker into Faded central. Nicole was holding the Miami card, and with the Level 3 positive mutation meaning that we only needed 4 cards, that’d give us a quick cure to begin. But we didn’t need to wait even that long – I drew a yellow at the end of my turn, and we were one cure down immediately. Now just everything else to deal with!

Nicole travelled south, clearing out the yellow cubes in quick work with our cure. With that under control I flew to Asia and began to deal with the remaining cubes that had dumped the new Military Base in Taipei. And not a moment too soon – our first epidemic hit, placing three Faded in Hong Kong yet again. The permanent roadblocks out of there have been working overtime – at least for our piece of mind!

Nicole began her mission to destroy the permanent bases in the Yellow regions. With my cure, her host of Yellow cards were expendable on other aspects and she quickly disposed of the Lagos base. She was also drawing black cards and seemed to be relishing in taking an active role in removing Faded figures using the Virologist’s remote treatment ability.

Meanwhile, I began to make some use of Tina’s character upgrade – Local Pressure. With it, I could quarantine Hong Kong past the roadblock without using Tina’s once per turn remote ability, and when I Military Shuttled across to Riyadh (man, these military types are awfully kind to let us keep using their stuff given the situation) the upgrade really began to show its worth. Between there and Paris (also Faded) I quickly established a good range of Quarantine markers with which to maintain more reasonable levels of Faded and also achieve our objective.

Nicole had drawn into some C4, so she took the opportunity to demolish our Buenos Ares base and attempt to eradicate Yellow. Naturally, having reached the final cube and being one action short of achieving the eradication, another cube popped up in South Africa. Fortunately Nicole had yet more Yellow cards in her hand to fuel quick flights and the following turn we had a disease gone for good (well, until October).

A couple more turns of maintaining order and we finally began to draw into some red and blue cards – both distributing themselves between us. Nicole picked up Washington, with its wild-card sticker for cures, and pulled together a Red cure (our only disease needing 5 cards). It had taken her past hand size however, and forced her to discard blues as she went – leaving the final cure on me. I was one card short of a Blue cure and Nicole had it in hand: Milan. Only one issue – Milan is Faded and I’d not managed to keep the city clear of figures despite it being under frequent quarantine.

But, I hoped, that wouldn’t matter. Nicole could make it to Milan on her turn, then on my turn I’d move in, grab the card and cure Blue – and we’d win before her next turn and the issue of a Scar. The only risk was: what if all the quarantine markers were lost in the infections at the end of Nicole’s turn? I fretted for a while, trying to see if there was a better option, but Nicole took matters into her own hands with a swift “whatever, let’s just get on with it!” and moved in.

Her infection phase was nail-biting. She drew London – on two blue cubes – and then Essen, which had just received three in an Epidemic my previous turn. Our two non-Faded European cities suddenly outbreaking in old-fashioned cubes! Fortunately these were our first two outbreaks of the game, and only those cities’ first ever outbreaks. But nonetheless, the outbreaks next to Faded cities caused the quarantine markers to vanish, in a way I hadn’t expected!

But we were OK – there were still enough quarantines in place. I moved to Milan, took the card and instantly cured our final disease – winning late September. Hurrah – back on track again!

For end-game upgrades, we took the final Positive Mutation sticker: Level 4 for Yellow. That’s every single mutation sticker from the starting sheet gone. We then took an Equipment upgrade, placing two Riot Shield stickers and one Parachute sticker onto some of our city cards. Fingers crossed that putting more Military Gear stuff onto our cards at this point isn’t a really bad idea!

It feels like we’re hitting the home stretch. Onwards…to October!

UPDATE: This has now been played and is chronicled here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sounds like you had a good run.

How are you liking the game after your last session?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slaybalj wrote:

Sounds like you had a good run.

How are you liking the game after your last session?

I'm very eager to continue on, but that's because I'm always enthusiastic about playing more and especially so after playing a round without any new unlocks or legacy deck elements. After the last game I was a bit stunned but still keen to move on, despite the likely increased challenge.

Nicole's more positive after this game than she was post early-September, although I don't think she's entirely forgiven it yet. However, the win and general strong control of the Faded we managed means she doesn't see things as quite as futile as she was worried about previously. I think it was also positive that we both got to take some control of the situation and contribute to Faded management, whereas for the last few games with our Sam/Spike split (Nicole always playing Sam) it could be a bit too strongly division-of-labour: I had to run around dealing with Faded, Nicole had to run around dealing with cubes and waiting for cards to turn up.

So altogether definitely more positive than after early September! Just having fingers crossed that no more really damaging surprises around the corner (although if there are, still no spoilers please!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer! I look forward to reading your reports for October and November. You've had a lot of similarities to our game, but enough differences that it's fun to contrast. ( We kept CoDA pretty well contained, but doing so cost us quite a few Collapsing/Fallen cities)

We won't be able to play December until October 10th, but we're hoping that will be our last session.... (if we lose the early month, I at least will press to play our second December game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.