Subject: What cards would you remove from any future 2nd editions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2nd editions of base game and Intrigue coming out, I'm curious to hear what cards folks would like to see removed if they came out with 2nd Editions of the other expansions. I'm assuming the team got better at putting in more "meaningful cards" as time went on, but wouldn't be surprised to still hear some candidates from the latter expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacFarlane
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Embargo - it's an interesting idea but it can really bog the game down, especially in games where you don't have a lot of trashing and all the VP cards have been embargoed.

Lighthouse - this is basically moat as a duration, but with a different upside. I'd love to see it replaced with something more interesting.

Sea Hag - extremely frustrating attack with no upside.

Treasure Map - too swingy.

If I had to list 6, I'd maybe say Cutpurse and Native Village, but I don't think they really need to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador C. Majoral
Andorra
Argentona, Barcelona
flag msg tools
All of them, because this would be a way to get 25 new cards of much loved mechanics in every 2nd edition! (and we would still own and enjoy the old ones!)

Seriously, I would only remove sea hag and lookout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
bmacfarlane wrote:
Embargo - it's an interesting idea but it can really bog the game down, especially in games where you don't have a lot of trashing and all the VP cards have been embargoed.

Good point. "Tax" might be better: the card costs $1 more. (DXV: feel free to use this.)

bmacfarlane wrote:
Lighthouse - this is basically moat as a duration, but with a different upside. I'd love to see it replaced with something more interesting.

I love Lighthouse. Two turn protection, +$1, +1 action for only $2? I'll buy these whenever I have $2 to spare or even $3: Silver gives you $2, and so does Lighthouse (over two turns) plus protection. Maybe you have problems with Seahag because you dislike Lighthouse?

The card I loathe is Possession. Just too complex with too big a FAQ. But I understand some people love it, so I guess it stays in.

Alchemy needs the most help. It needs a lot more cards that need potions to make potions worthwhile. While I like the ordinary cards in Alchemy, maybe they should be moved to other expansions unless they have some special reason for being in Alchemy. Golem leads to so many interesting strategies, but the general weakness of Alchemy hurts it. I'd love to see Alchemy expanded to a big expansion. And/or, change potion to be usable without Alchemy cards; innumerable solutions have been proposed. I like: potion is worth $2 and can't be destroyed or stolen.

Black Market is just too much trouble.

I'm not really fond of the chaining cards: buy this to get to this-other unbuyable card, and sometimes the chain continues.

Tournament is kind of meh. If you activate it first, great. If you don't, not many of the prizes are worthwhile.

Curse gets boring after a while. I wish you could be cursed in different ways. Cursed Treasure: -$1 and must be played.

(All ideas released to DXV and RGG.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From seaside: Sea Hag, Treasure Map, Pirate Ship. I hate them all. Sea Hag is mean and quick mean. Treasure Map is swingy and boring. Pirate Ship I just don't like at all - devalues money too much.

If I had to list 6:

Pearl Diver. I like 2 cost cards, but this one is weak in all but a few select sets.

Outpost. Have never really found a use for this. 3 cards isn't great. Especially at the cost of a "4" card hand.

Smugglers. Not bad. Just too swingy. so I never buy it. Forces your strategy to match your previous opponent with is weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i fully admit that i play this game almost exclusively 2 player and so i'm biased towards the effect cards have on that player count.

Rebuild - from Dark Ages (i think). it's far too powerful. you can certainly slow it down by requiring the use of Shelters but in a randomized setup with standard starting decks it's way too good for only 5.

Counting House - it's never bought because well, it's really bad. i like the idea of finding a card that makes copper good but it feels like it's tough to do (Coppersmith was also a dud although this game has got to be one of the craziest dominion moments ever)

Philosopher's Stone - simply because it makes playing the physical game super annoying - any card that requires people to be counting consistently is a nice idea online and terrible in person.

Treasure Map - it just seems an odd choice for a low luck game like dominion. i like theme but it's a bit too random.

Mountebank - sure there are other must buy cards out there - Witch, IGG, Goons, Tournament but this one has the side effect of creating brutally long games. i think i'd rather go to the DMV than play a 4 player game with Mountebank.

Develop - i really want a revamp here. the idea was so cool - trash something for 2 cards one that's cheaper and one that's more expensive but the exactly one on each side limitation just never seems to work out. i imagine it would be hard to give it more flexibility and still balance it but i hope it can be done.

Familiar - in a 2 player game it nearly turns the whole game into shuffle luck. if you don't get a 3 + potion combo on your 2nd pass through your deck and your opponent does, it's extremely hard to come back. familiar games are a race to familiars followed by whatever else people do next. why not just skip to the 2nd part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clwe
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
I agree that Rebuild, Counting House, Pearl Diver and Familiar should go, for the reasons others have stated above. Not really fond of Pirate Ship either...and Tournament could do with more evenly-balanced prizes (so you don't end up taking Trusty Steed 90% of the time if you're first). I don't think there's anything else I would remove...

...oh wait, yes there is - Possession! This card absoloutely needs to be removed or reworked drastically, IMO. If I could rework it, I would change it so that the player whose turn you are taking gets all the bought cards (not you/the 'attacker') and lower the cost appropriately. One character in Puzzle strike has a similar ability (give an opponent a card/chip of your choice, and then play up to two chips from their hand) and it works great in some situations without being overpowered.

I'm perfectly happy with Sea Hag and Lookout. The latter in particular is a neat push-your-luck trasher (plus, it works decently against Sea Hag). It's also quite funny when someone turns up Provice-Province-Gold (or similar) with lookout, as a result of them pushing their luck one too many times with it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrej Černek
msg tools
What would Donald X. remove: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=3353
Also:
Quote:
There's an obvious one for Guilds - I'd drop the "who did" on Soothsayer. "Gain a Gold. Each other player gains a Curse and draws a card." The "who did" is there because there were complaints about the card going dead eventually. The apparently tiny amount of simplicity to be gained is worth way more to me than getting rid of the feeling that eventually you will want to stop playing Soothsayer.

I am pretty happy with Guilds apart from that, and with Dark Ages apart from Rebuild. There are cards you guys sometimes complain about, and well it's not great for me to get into strategy discussions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.