Hide
6 Posts

Kemet: Ta-Seti» Forums » General

Subject: Is Dark Ritual becoming your game's focus? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
shion smith
msg tools
So we've found Dark ritual to be good to obscenely good for a first level tile. If a player gets it, (and now our first player almost always does), the other players absolutely must spend their first turn taking the white +1 to pray actions tiles.

If a player is able to initially grab the Dark Ritual and the white tile that gives the bonus to pray actions, it has proven to be ridiculously effective. They will always have a free three energy a day, with the possibility to pray for an additional 3.

So either you let someone have a huge advantage, or you two must sacrifice their first buy/ actions and take white, just to counter the Dark Ritual player from having it.

So consider the following, Round 1 of the game a player who starts with 1 red, 1 white, 1 black as an example. It's not even the most obscene use, but shows the problem.

action 1:
player takes the Dark ritual tile => 6 energy

action 2:
player is allowed to take white +1 pray tile => 5 energy

action 3:
player takes prayer action and uses gold token =>11 energy

action 4:
player takes their red temple to level 4 => 2 energy

action 5:
Player teleports to temple.

Summary: We find this tile to be totally unbalancing when combined with white and basically everyone has to immediately take sub-optimal actions just to stop the first player from having a pretty insurmountable start.

Anyone else having a problem with this tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Harrison
United States
Glens Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
All I see is a great strategy. Get a level 4 Black Pyramid and buy "Divine Strength" and you're really set!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shion smith
msg tools
Yeah, its a little to great is our issue. You basically can afford to level 4 one of your pyramids each round, and so by third round you have 3 level 4's as well as purchases at that level. There's nothing as quickly effective as this that we've tried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tito Head
msg tools
I don't believe Dark Ritual and white Priest work in combination. Just like how Forced March doesn't let you move on the Path to Ta-Seti because it's placed on gold icon rather than the square itself.

Priest says: "When you use the Pray Action, get plus one Prayer"

Dark Ritual says: "Perform a Pray Action via the gold token."

Forced March: "Perform a move action via the gold token"

"Important!
The only way to activate a priest on the path to Ta-Seti is by using one of the two “Move/Attack” action spaces of an individual board. Similar actions triggered by the use of a golden token are not taken into account for the path to Ta-Seti."

I want a dev to weigh in on whether Dark Ritual and white Priest work in combination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shion smith
msg tools
It would solve my problems if they didn't, but I can't really bring myself to believe that by reading the rules. I actually house ruled that if you take the black tile you can't benefit from the white one in the same action.

Priest gives you a plus one when you use the pray action, and dark ritual gives you a pray action.... so yeah I don't think I'll have much luck on the original intent being that they shouldn't work together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert baynosa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No official word on this yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.