Subject: What types of games do FLGS stock these days? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Compared to 10 years ago where there weren't as many modern board games, nowadays, it seems difficult to even be able to stock more than a fraction of the "good stuff".

I've heard accounts from here on BGG and gamers in person where if they go to a FLGS, they don't have the game, and they said they can order it for them, then many folks would then decline. If they have to wait to order it, then they may as well get it themselves. They cut out the middleman and get an OLGS discount to boot, as well as don't have to come back to pick it up.

That said, FLGS still carry "regular board games" (non CCGs, minis, RPG, and other stuff that carry better margins), but it seems they always have the most recent releases, some spiel Des Jahres winners, and some of the "tried and true games" (e.g. Dominion, Settlers, Ticket To Ride, etc.)? Also state how big the FLGS is, as I've seen smaller ones stock just these, but ones with larger spaces can do all of these and beyond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would imagine it much like record stores of yore. The smaller ones, always stocked the top 20 or so latest pop chart releases as they were the best sellers and brought people into the store. They then would stock other good sellers for their demographic (e.g. Rock, Western, Rap, etc...) and some/many of the all time top sellers.

Problem is it is now faster to order yourself than to wait for a store to do it for you. ...and usually cheaper. Without instasnt gratification at a brick & mortar, it is tough for them to complete.

I see many of them stock the top 25 from BGG ratings as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.