Popular Tags: [View All]
Ike Evans
United States
Shakopee
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Ascension with physical cards literally only once. I have played Ascension the app at least 500 times with almost every expansion. Over the course of the few phones that I have owned, I figured it's high time I write a review for this.

Aesthetics:

Many moons ago I once wrote a review for Ascension that focused entirely on the game from a non-digital point of view. At that time I complained about the artwork, and there were some detractors who assured me that with time I would come to like the artwork. Although I really enjoy the game, I still hate the artwork as much as I ever have.

The artwork is just awful, plain and simple.

To those who disagree, let us agree to disagree.

That said, the app still looks pretty good. The color scheme and animation of the game flows very well such that it isn't difficult to ignore the artwork on the cards themselves.

Stability/Operability:

This is really the *one* area of the app that I find a bit puzzling. I've owned three different phones with this app: Galaxy S4, LG G3, and a Note 5. On all of these phones, the game plays really well... most of the time. Regardless of what phone I'm using, sometimes the AI will suddenly move at a painfully slow pace. There are times where the AI will take more than 5 minutes to complete a single turn. When this happens (especially if I see that I'm losing badly), I am forced to simply forfeit the game and start over. This is very frustrating, and I don't know why this issue hasn't ever been fixed over the course of the dozen (or so) major updates to the game. This is by far my biggest complaint about the app.

Other issues of having the game crash suddenly does happen occasionally, but not frequently enough to warrant any significant complaints.

Gameplay:

I have bought almost every expansion with my phone. It was just recently the game designers released the Dreamscape expansion, and I didn't hesitate to shell out the $3.99 to buy it the second I could.

I have no idea how workable all of the expansions are with each other in a normal non-digital setting. I would imagine that there are times where playing with all the expansions at once would be far too burdensome to play because of all the different things you have to keep track of. With the app, this isn't a problem because the computer does all the work for you. For example, there are turns where I will play several dozens of cards on a near-infinite loop that can take upwards of 30 minutes on a single turn. I would imagine that if I were playing against a live opponent I would just look up at him after just a few minutes and suggest that we call it good and declare myself to be the winner.

I must say that (with the exception of "Rise of Vigil" expansion - those energy shards are a terrible idea) I find all of the expansions to be wonderfully refreshing to the game. As is generally the rule, I will play Ascension extensively for a while before I get bored with it, only to turn around and play it again in a couple months because another expansion came out that makes the game fresh all over again.

What will they come out with next? Who knows, but it works really well.

Value:

I've spent more money on Ascension than any other game on my phone, but this should hardly be a detraction for anyone. Last I checked, the base game is free, and that is great all by itself.

From there you'll spend $1-5 for each of the expansions, but I certainly wouldn't recommend you get them all at once. In fact, you would do well not to buy more than one expansion per month as you explore the game on your own that way. To shell out that kind of money at that pace is certainly reasonable

Verdict:

Aside from some irritating issues with how the AI will sometimes operate at a snail's pace, this is a great game. Add in the fact that the base game is free and this is a no brainer for people to try this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have they done anything to fix the amount of space required to download/install the game? I think when they added RU, the install was well over 1.5G and I had to take it off of my phone because I couldn't run anything else. I don't disagree with your assessment of the game, but the fact that it has turned into bloatware may be relevant to a purchasing decision to someone who hasn't upgraded the memory on their phone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Android owners can download rewards. Answer short surveys and receive credit to use in the Play Store. I've made good use of this to buy expansions for Ascension and PACG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
190MB on my Ipod Touch 5. Then again, having it for almost 3 years, I'm running out of space anyways

I hear it's because on Android, they need have more files for the different types of hardware out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.