If you could help me with another clarification...
So I have two escorts attacking my submerged U-boat. I decide to try "Deep Dive". But how exactly do I proceed? Is the "Deep Dive" action resolved separately for each escort attack? Or do you go "deep" only once?...
Let's go by the rules:
1) "Place a Deep Dive counter on the U-Boat counter." OK, done.
2) "Add 2 Stress Points on its card." Here I started to wonder... should I do this for each of the two escorts? Or just once, after choosing the Deep Dive option?
3) "Do not draw a Hit counter for the Escort's Attack, but roll a die. If the die roll is equal to or less than the U-Boat's Evasion rating, there is no effect. If the die roll is greater than the Evasion rating, the U-Boat takes one Flooding Temporary Damage hit. If the die roll is 10, the U-Boat takes one Hull Lasting Damage hit." This is even more confusing. Do I do this only once? Or once per escort? Or - after reading "... do not draw a Hit counter ..." - do I do this instead of drawing each Hit counter that the escorts would otherwise require me to draw?
How do you play this? Thanks!
I'm no expert at all, but I had the SAME issue. Ugh, this game, how can this really be a polished 2nd printing... any way here's how I handled it.
2) I decided the 2 stress points was for diving, so I did that once, as you are only diving a single time, to avoid multiple attacks.
3) I did this once per escort INSTEAD of drawing a hit counter(s). I reason that you are out of range of their normal attacks, but still suffer the risk of flooding/hull damage the longer you stay down, so more attacks means more risk. Also, the language in the rules seems to imply you are doing this for each attack.
Anyway, that's how I played it.
I think if you are interpreting the rules literally, you have to defend yourself against two separate attacks from the escorts, therefore you have to decide deep-dive/take-the-hits twice, and suffer the extra damage or stress. In my limited experience the DVG rules are meant to be used consistently regardless of whether they create unrealistic circumstances, like deep diving twice in succession.
Lines J. Hutter
I just realized that the online rulebook, 2nd edition is different than the one that came with my game. Which one is the latest one?
In the online version, Deep Dive says: All Escort Attacks have no effect.
So it's once to cancel all Escort attacks.
Also it doesn't sY anything about attacks from other ships. So can I assume the apply?
If I roll a 10 I take a Hull damage.
But I also rolled greater than my Evasion rating, so do I also get a Flooding damage?
If there's a difference in rules, I would use the ones from DVG's website as the latest edition.
According to those rules I think you're correct:
- It says when you use deep dive "all Escort attacks have no effect".
- It says "remove deep dive counter at the end of the combat resolution segment".
In the combat resolution segment all Escorts can attack one after another, before all the cautious U-boats attack, so therefore you don't draw hit chits for any escort attacks if they attack right after one another, while the deep dive counter is out. You take stress for deep diving only once, and then for every escort attack you roll against your Evasion rating and receive either: no effect, flooding, or hull damage.
- Last edited Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:13 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:42 am