$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Passing bottom row action - prevents on going bonuses? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So as the rules stand, you can decide to take or not to take the top or bottom row action.

So with that being the case, if you place your action marker on the player mat , but pass the bottom row action, does it also prevent your opponents gaining their on going bonuses?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you aren't paying for the bottom action, your opponents do not get any associated Recruit bonuses. Is that what you're asking?

EDIT:
*Enlist, not Recruit. I need more sleep.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pedro_ak wrote:
So as the rules stand, you can decide to take or not to take the top or bottom row action.

So with that being the case, if you place your action marker on the player mat , but pass the bottom row action, does it also prevent your opponents gaining their on going bonuses?
Enlist bonuses are only gained when you or a neighbour take the corresponding bottom row action. If the action is not taken (because another one is taken or because no bottom row action is taken at all) then no bonus is gained.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies and clarification! It made sense that the "on going bonus" could be prevented this way with the rules as written.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valenso wrote:
If you aren't paying for the bottom action, your opponents do not get any associated Recruit bonuses. Is that what you're asking?

EDIT:
*Enlist, not Recruit. I need more sleep.


Recruit is correct. The enlist action gives you a recruit. The recruit gives you a bonus, whether you got it from an enlist action, a factory card action or an encounter card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Klaus O K wrote:
Valenso wrote:
If you aren't paying for the bottom action, your opponents do not get any associated Recruit bonuses. Is that what you're asking?

EDIT:
*Enlist, not Recruit. I need more sleep.


Recruit is correct. The enlist action gives you a recruit. The recruit gives you a bonus, whether you got it from an enlist action, a factory card action or an encounter card.


Eh, the last part of this reply isn't quite accurate (unless I misunderstand). As I understand the rules, the recruit bonus only applies if you take the bottom-row action it is tied to - it does not apply if you take the top-row action in that section of the player mat and DON'T take the bottom-row action; it also does NOT apply if you gain a similar benefit to the bottom row action from a factory card action, or an encounter. Example: If an Encounter card lets you deploy a mech, that Encounter-driven deployment does not trigger the Recruit bonus for the bottom-row Deploy action. Likewise, if a Factory card's Top-row Action lets you deploy a mech, that does not trigger the Recruit bonus for the bottom-row Deploy action.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to take the exact bottom-row action on the player mat for the ongoing recruit bonus to trigger. But you can enlist a recruit for the first time using the enlist action, factory card, or encounter card.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I guess I shouldn't second guess myself on my terminology!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should remember from other games its far better to quote the actual rules in question!!

Bit late now I realise, but my query was the effect of these two rules on each other:

Page 10 of rules:


specifically "you may take...single...both...neither... action"

With page 20:

specifically "whenever you take...the bottom row action... may gain the specified bonus"

So you decide "no I won't take the bottom row action", so there is no trigger for anyone to get their corresponding "ongoing bonus"
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.