Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First game finished - Germans win by force rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Florian Gaehtgens
Germany
flag msg tools
So here's my report of our first ever finished game of Civ:

Let me start by saying I am proud we actually made it through the game - after two unsuccessful attempts that we had to abort due to lack of time. If three working family fathers actually manage to play an epic monster game like this one, then that is something to be proud of. Took us one Friday evening of about four hours plus the following Sunday evening with about another three.

Now let's proceed with the naked facts: Germans won in Turn 11 by Military against Egypts and Romans. At the time, Rome was looking quiet good in culture, but still needing some turns for a victory (just starting to attack the last Age on the culture scale with about 20 markers saved up and producing roundabout 15 every turn). Egypt was all built up with every imaginable building and Wonders, but at the same time not really advancing on any of the relevant victory paths. And, fatal mistake as we now know, they had been neglecting their military all along, so the Germans were able to pull a quick surprise victory by building Himeji Castle, researching Airforce and going for Cairo in a rush.

Gotta say this though: the player playing the Germans only did that daring move because we were going to stop playing after Turn 11 - for time reasons again. So he wanted to see it happen and went for the risky choice. In a normal course of the game, with more time at hand - he would have continued to work on his economic victory, which Otto would probably have been able to accomplish in Turn 12. Rome, while strong enough in Military to not serve as a target for the Germans, would've been unable to counter the German economic victory with a Military strike.

So that's that and I must say - it was fun. And needs repetition soon, if at all possible. Most definitely, as our experience with the game and its mechanics grow, there will be other strategies and counter-strategies for winning and I can't wait to tell you about it...

Oh, did I mention it? We were playing the basic game without any extensions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McGillivray
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
Very nice review. Thanks! I own the base game plus both expansions and haven't been able to find anyone to play unfortunately. It seems like most people I know have moved on to other games or can't commit the time. Not that I have the time either. Being a dad takes a lot of time, huh?

I'm also concerned from what I've read that the civilizations aren't balances. I wish someone would rebalance and play test all 18(?) civilizations and release them as an expansion or even just as a print-and-play.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kamin
Poland
Cracov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good Job,

Don't worry, I love this game, but I manage to play it only few times in a Year, but it never gets borring. I don't really mind unbalanced civs, becouse since i know it I'm not sad about loosing with weaker civ, but when I win with that civ I'm the happiest man on earth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Florian, thanks for the session report. I haven't got a chance to play this one in a long time, but it was always fun to do so. One thing I think you will notice if you continue to play is that each civ has it's own fast track to victory. For instance, Germany is built for a military victory. Yes you can win with an economic victory or even a culture victory with the Germans but it will take a couple, maybe several turns more to do it. But it's designed to win a military victory and can be built up to do so in far fewer turns.
For the Arabs it's culture. They are designed for a culture victory, so I wouldn't waste valuable turns trying to build up an economic engine when I could be pumping out culture points and moving up the culture track so much faster.
A lot of fun is in finding out which victory idea works best for each culture. Some even don't fit into a really nice path like the Germans do. For instance I'm still not sure if the Romans should go economic or military each game.
Anyway, once your group of players start playing like that, the game will go fast and will likely end in a victory for someone around turn 8 or 9. That's been my experience anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DocD wrote:
Florian, thanks for the session report. I haven't got a chance to play this one in a long time, but it was always fun to do so. One thing I think you will notice if you continue to play is that each civ has it's own fast track to victory. For instance, Germany is built for a military victory. Yes you can win with an economic victory or even a culture victory with the Germans but it will take a couple, maybe several turns more to do it. But it's designed to win a military victory and can be built up to do so in far fewer turns.

Actually the Germans are the civ with the fastest economic victory in base game. You start your first turn harvesting silk and researching horseback riding. Second turn you spend the silk for trade and research democracy to gain silk and another pikeman. From then on your save from other warmongers and can start spending trade on democracy for coins, research code of law and battle villages for more coins and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.