GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,520 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: New to Mage knight. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks. Finally pulled the trigger. Primarily/Exclusivly it will be solitaire for me.

I've ordered the Lost legion expansion to add in later. I've researched and I'm not afraid of disliking the game so the 1st expansion was mandatory for me.

Enough waffle.

Any complex or fiddly rules I generally check the file section for player aids, general reminders and such.

The Mage knight file section is full of them. Not knowing much at this point could any Mage knight vets point out any that they find to be useful/updated errata/easy to read.

I realise everyone's efforts in the file section is pure gold and it's not any detriment to others but the selection is quite vast in this regard.

Anyway I'm off to sharpen my blade.

Regards.

Terry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered MK and the Broken Token insert recently. I have a lot of other new games right now, too, so I haven't even looked at the rules yet for this.

100% interested in every comment following. Thanks for the post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
watch Ricky Royal's videos if you haven't already.

Read the rulebook and do the Walkthrough.

Jump in and start playing. It took me ten games or so to feel confident that I was playing properly. I kept learning and realized that I still had stuff screwed up, but I was pretty close by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're an experienced gamer, just sit down, set it up and go through the walk through book. It's a very well crafted tutorial and will have you playing pretty quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game, good choice
Re the Lost Legions ... there's no reason not to put the cards that come with that straight into circulation ... in fact, some of them are erratas on cards from the core set (unless the latest printings of the core set have fixed them). Never the less, the other cards just add more options.
Even after one play with the base cards, if you flicked through the ones from LL, you'd be like "thems is going in, now!", ha ha.
The rules in LL for the missions revolving around Volkare, can then be looked into at your leisure, as the additional LL cards and his missions are quite separate

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the rules carefully. Do not assume you know how certain things should work, especially in combat (armor vs. block is a big one, and so is elemntal attack vs. damage).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mb
aliallison wrote:
Read the rules carefully. Do not assume you know how certain things should work, especially in combat (armor vs. block is a big one, and so is elemntal attack vs. damage).

Adding to this, know where the rules are.

Walkthrough book is for when you play through the introductory scenario. You can then read the Rulebook to learn the rules properly. This is also the book you'll be using as a reference when you look up stuff during play. Map feature specific rules are on double sided cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the topic "Commonly missed Rules". It's quite helpful.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/740856/commonly-missed-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your advise.

I will take my time and savour the experience. I'm fortunate to be able to leave scenarios set up so that's not an issue.

Looking forward to my challenge ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the Walkthrough and then play the intro scenario, being sure to reference the cards with location rules on them (there are some things on those cards that are not in either rulebook, iirc).

I know you don't plan to, but just to emphasize, DO NOT add any of the expansion material until you are very comfortable with the base game rules already. If you want to add the new character card (and replacement) from the starting deck, then that's fine (but even not necessary in the beginning).

Play a few solo games so you understand the rules prior to teaching someone else. And then only 2 player. I wouldn't advise playing anything >2 unless all were experienced MK players. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly recommend this reference:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/75296/complete-rules-refe...

With lost legion version:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/91937/complete-rules-refe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeuscat wrote:
watch Ricky Royal's videos if you haven't already.

Read the rulebook and do the Walkthrough.

Jump in and start playing. It took me ten games or so to feel confident that I was playing properly. I kept learning and realized that I still had stuff screwed up, but I was pretty close by then.

I would do it in this order:

1) Do the Walkthrough

2) Read the rulebook

3) Watch Ricky's videos

4) Play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aflorin wrote:

That's Excellent, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray PG
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also, when playing solo, be sure to download the Mage Knight Dummy Player App (if you have an android device that is) Saves you a ton of time setup and cleaning up the game and saves you the hassle of managing the Dummy player during play. It also has all the reference cards included in the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.