Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why can't the wonders of the original G&S set be used when combining the two games? Why not just mix them all together from each age and randomly use one?

Thanks! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it has to do with the condition to gain them. In the original set, you could gain a wonder as soon as you fulfilled the condition on it. In Renaissance, you put cubes on the wonders untill you have enough to claim it. Combining these diferent rulesets wouldn't work. I don't have the rulebook open, but I'm pretty sure that's the reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_vinman wrote:
I believe it has to do with the condition to gain them. In the original set, you could gain a wonder as soon as you fulfilled the condition on it. In Renaissance, you put cubes on the wonders untill you have enough to claim it. Combining these diferent rulesets wouldn't work.

I'm not sure I understand why that wouldn't work-- the wonders in the original set seem to act like new wonders which only require a single cube.

Maybe that's bad because the new ones require multiple turns and the old ones don't take as long? But presumably their VP values are balanced for that.

So I am still curious why they couldn't be combined, given that the rest of the game is designed to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me you could just make them require 3 cubes like all the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the cards in front of me, but I don't think they are balanced that way. But who knows, maybe with a bit of tweaking you could get it to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing once with the new wonders, the reason to not mix them is STILL not obvious. Yeah, they took three turns to claim, but the wonders in the base game took about that long too; it just wasn't formalized in the mechanics. (They had conditions which you needed to plan about three turns ahead to fulfill, IIRC.)

I guess at this point I should just try it and see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Liu
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really want to use the old wonders, they should only need 1 glory cube, and note that thier condition is only checked when you retrieve cards to your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.