Subject: Russian Winter Offensive & Erzurum rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Vargas
United States
Palisades Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I did a search but could not find an answer.

The Russians played Russian Winter Offensive and attacked Erzurum with 2 SCUs. The card says (in part):

All TU forts in Caucasia have 0 strength for combat. If RU unit(s) advance onto fort after combat, it is destroyed.

Normally the strength of the fort is 3. Provided the Russians win the combat can the Russians advance with less than 3 SCUs or does the fort regain the 3 rating first, thereby preventing the advance?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strength 0 means 0 so they can do it.
Again, it's nothing I've ever seen happen. If the Russians are adjacent to Erzurum it will be defended heavily so unless you wipe out everything the Turks will always take an additional step loss to avoid retreat because of the mountains.

Your best chance is if you're lucky enough to have Enver Goes East and Winter Offensive in your hand at the same time. Play them in that order and you will likely do some major damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What it really does, though, is FORCE the Turks to take that extra loss. Inflicting losses on the Turks is all the Russians can usually hope to do anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Vargas
United States
Palisades Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I had an unusual situation. I am the CP in this game. The Russian Revolution is at Stage 1. There was a sole TU SCU in Erzurum and a 3 unit stack (including an LCU) in adjacent Erzincan. The Turks and Russians at the start of the turn were adjacent at 3 locations (Rize, Sehneh & Hamadan) and the TU rolled a RU MO. Both sides are at Total War. The AP played an OPs card and created 3 situations that needed a response, one of which he moved next to Erzurum with 2 SCUs. I was able to respond to 2 situations but left Erzurum as it was. I suspected he had the card.

He played the event round 5, attacked the space and was able to advance with 1 SCU, destroying the fort. On my round 6, I still had the RU MO to fulfill. There were 4 locations for it, 3 were unfavorable, the other at Erzurum was favorable. I attacked Erzurum and recaptured the destroyed VP space. I doubt the BR will ever get that far and the Russians certainly won't capture it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.