Hide
15 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: The worst elements of Mage Knight Board Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shayne Hull
msg tools
I want to start by saying I really like this game. I gave it 9 out of 10. But with all the positive reviews, I just wanted to highlight the annoying parts.

Here we go (in no particular order):

1. It's a card game. It says on the box "board game", and it does have a board and miniatures, but it plays like a card game. Everything you do in game is done by playing cards. The biggest factor that made me realise this, was when I noticed I spent 90% of play time looking at the cards in my hand and not at the board. This isn't terrible, but it was unexpected. I like card games. I just wanted a board game. I got Mage Knight not long after Runebound, and this made it even more obvious; I spend way more time looking at the board in Runebound.

2. The pre-painted miniatures might as well have come unpainted. I paint miniatures, but I was happy to have a game that I could play out of the box with the miniatures already painted. As soon as I opened Mage Knight I knew I would be re-painting the miniatures. The paint jobs are awful. I would rather play with grey unpainted miniatures.

3. The game components are of poor quality. This has become an expectation with Wizkids. They even have an online replacement system for missing/damaged parts. This makes me assume they have poor quality control.

4. The rule books are terrible. It is really hard to find a specific rule. The layout is confusing. One workaround is to get the PDF rules online, then you can search for key words.

5. Missing information. There are reward tokens that you gain by defeating monsters. These tokens contain symbols to inform you of your reward. Nowhere in either rule book does it tell you what the symbols mean.

6. The games are long. Yes, this is a problem with a lot of my favourite games. Mage Knight has the advantage of solo play, so I can leave it set up and come back days later. Still, this is a big detractor for playing multiplayer.

7. The original Mage Knight was able to break into the market despite offering poorly painted, ugly miniatures because of one unique feature: the combat dial. This was a great game mechanic. Heroclix has taken this for its own, but it started with Mage Knight. In the board game, however, this defining feature is limited to the cities. I would have liked to see combat maintain the dial/dice component of the original Mage Knight. If nothing else it could have given us a break for the heavy card play I mentioned in my first point. The dial could have been used to level up your hero, or something like that. It's just that when I hear "Mage Knight" I instantly think of the dial.

So these are the parts that annoyed me. All in total, they make it a 9 out of 10 game rather than a 10 out of 10 game. That should say something for how good the good parts actually are. But I feel there are enough positive reviews for me to not need to mention the positives here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. true
2. I am just to lazy to paint on my own, so I'm happy they are pre-painted.
3. sadly yes
4. I never had any problems with them
5. really? Which?
6. that's way it sees way to less table time ;(
7. Never played, or even heard of it before, so I don't care

Yep this game is awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike van Veen
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2. As someone who doesn't paint, I love the miniatures. I see the quality isn't high but I prefer it greatly to bland miniatures that I would then have to pay someone to paint for me.

3. This varies. My Fame track was cracked but it was replaced within two weeks. My Lost Legion expansion came without production problems.

4. I disagree very strongly. Everything is either in the Rulebook or on the Reference cards. Tell me what you couldn't find and I'll point you to the obvious place in the Rulebook.

5. Reference cards AND the Rulebook (End of Turn) hold the answers for you. I refer you to my statement above.

7. Never played it, but I agree that the use of the system for the cities is rather pointless. A reference card would have served just as well, if not better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I think it would be truer to say that it is a boardgame where cards are the active mechanic. Dominion is a card game. The board is very important in MK. Personally I find Runebound very tedious. IMHO of course.

2. If a game comes with grey plastic miniatures I usually paint them. But I don't have good eyes or a steady hand. Like Xia: Legends of a Drift System, the minis aren't great paint jobs, but they are acceptable to me and better than grey plastic by a mile.

3. To me, the biggest gripe is the inconsistency of colour and sizes of cards and monster tokens in the expansions. I should also mention that the components aren't colour-fast. Once I left a game set up on a table by the window while I went on vacation for 2 weeks. When I came back, the map tiles, day/night board and fame track board were all severely sun-bleached. In just 2 weeks ! Beware of this.

4. I agree that the 2 rulebooks are very badly organised and do not help when trying to find a particular rule clarification.

5. I would say unclear rather than missing.

6. This is something that is down to personal taste. I really dislike fillers. I tend to like games more in proportion to their length (assuming they appeal to me). 3 hours tends to be the norm for me with MK, but I accept that is not a plus to many gamers.

7. Not being a Heroclix fan, this passes me by, with the exception that I find the little coloured blobs on the City minis VERY hard to make out. I would have preferred this gimmick to have been omitted, but it's a small gripe.

Agree with you, it's a great game with some small issues. My favourite solo game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Google "Gloom of Kilforth"!
badge
Google "Gloom of Kilforth"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fully expected the first post to be an humorously empty box.
Marginally disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Aachen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me give you my list:

1. Wizkids
2. Wizkids
3. Wizkids
4. Wizkids
5. Wizkids
6. Wizkids
7. Wizkids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Robert
France
Thiverval-Grignon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muad Dib wrote:
Let me give you my list:

1. Wizkids
2. Wizkids
3. Wizkids
4. Wizkids
5. Wizkids
6. Wizkids
7. Wizkids

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hullstar wrote:
1. It's a card game.
I don't agree about that. Exploration is an important feature of Mage Knight. Movement and limited space is also important, especially for multi-player games. It's definitely not just a card game.
There's a world of a difference between Mage Knight and a 'real' card game like 'Thunderstone'.
Hullstar wrote:
2. The pre-painted miniatures might as well have come unpainted.
I understand where you're coming from since you paint miniatures. I don't, so I prefer a bad paint-job over none. I'd also like to point out that 'Krang', the expansion character has a really great-looking mini with a good paint-job.
Hullstar wrote:
3. The game components are of poor quality.
I guess, I've been lucky because I never had any issues with Mage Knight's game components. I've been following the debacle regarding the Tezla expansion in the forums, though, so I concede the point.
Hullstar wrote:
4. The rule books are terrible.
That's unfortunately true.
Hullstar wrote:
5. Missing information. There are reward tokens that you gain by defeating monsters.
I think I know what you're talking about, but the game doesn't have any 'reward tokens'. Adventure site rewards are either explained on the respective reference cards or in the Walkthrough, e.g. Ruins awards are explained on page 16.
Hullstar wrote:
6. The games are long.
That depends on your definition of 'long'. There's plenty of scenarios available, and once you can play Mage Knight without referring to the rules all the time, the shorter scenarios play in 60-90 minutes.
I recently introduced 2 new players to Mage Knight and the game took 2.5 hours, including the explanation. I don't consider that particularly long. I agree, though, that it's best suited for solo play.
Hullstar wrote:
7. [...]It's just that when I hear "Mage Knight" I instantly think of the dial.
Since I had never heard of the Mage Knight minature game before getting the board game, that was never an issue for me. I do agree that the city dials are rather useless, though.

For me Mage Knight clearly isn't a '10', because I'm definitely not always in the mood for such a brain-burner. I enjoy it a lot, but after playing it, I'm usually mentally drained.

Actually, my only '10' is Race for the Galaxy, because it plays quick, regardless of the number of players, yet still manages to be 'deep' and have almost infinite variety.
And unlike Mage Knight, I can play RftG several times in a row without getting bored or exhausted. I have yet to encounter a game that achieves all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
My one complaint is that the rules density makes it hard to come back and play after a hiatus without missing a dozen rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest complaint: no death. I can get 60 wounds, but never die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Scothern
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're an immortal mage knight. You wont die, but with 60 wounds you are certainly going to fail to complete your mission in time.

There are lots of games you can't die in, doesn't seem to be problem to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yit Ng
Malaysia
kuala lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7. Yeah, but this game isn't advertised as Clix.

3. FFG also has a miniature replacement system. Privateer Press does too. Does this mean that both companies have poor quality control?

You will love the different sized tokens in the latest expansion, as well as the different coloured card backs. I'll concede that to you

4,5 - Yes, rule book is atrocious, horribly designed and you need the FAQ to clarify almost everything. Those Ruin tokens are equally bad. I confused the Unit reward with the Advanced Action reward for so long until it was pointed out to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan
United Kingdom
Kings Langley, Herts, UK
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
Muad Dib wrote:
Let me give you my list:

1. Wizkids
2. Wizkids
3. Wizkids
4. Wizkids
5. Wizkids
6. Wizkids
7. Wizkids

? What does that mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That it is wizkids fault that the Game and Expansions have Bad quality
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Hull
msg tools
dipakSomak wrote:
Muad Dib wrote:
Let me give you my list:

1. Wizkids
2. Wizkids
3. Wizkids
4. Wizkids
5. Wizkids
6. Wizkids
7. Wizkids

? What does that mean?

Yeah, just look at X-Wing compared to Attack Wing. X-Wing is Fantasy Flight and Attack Wing is Wizkids. Both are pretty much the same game (with a few minor tweaks and different settings). I own both. The quality of the components in X-Wing is just superior in so many ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.