Subject: Time period? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wingfeather saga
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the "where" of this game, but was wondering about the "when"? I am trying to play my games chronologically and would like to know where it fits. I'd guess late 19th century? Early 20th?

Thanks!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Well, it has domesticated donkeys and they've been around for about 5000 years, so that narrows it down a bit...

(I'm surprised the rule book doesn't give more details.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The type of roofs they use narrows it down significantly... Far more so than the use of donkeys does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:
I know the "where" of this game, but was wondering about the "when"? I am trying to play my games chronologically and would like to know where it fits. I'd guess late 19th century? Early 20th?

Thanks!

meeple

I had the English version and now the Spanish. I can't recall about the former, but the Spanish one clearly states XV century in the introduction of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:

Thanks!

meeple

The foundation of the estate La Granja marks the end of the game. The estate was formed out of many smaller farms. They were located around the small village Alpich on Mallorca. They grew together and became one estate. The game is about becoming the best farmer of one of the smaller farms to finally take over the big estate.

There is no 100% information about when the estate was founded. I once read, that it originated around 1100. But I cannot find that information now. The game takes place over hundreds of years. From small farms that are growing and finally becoming the big estate.

It is for sure that the foundation of the estate falls into the period the moors were controlling the country. Because water system that was established there was the reason the farms grew together and were so successful. And that water system was build by the moors.

So, the beginning of the game is somewhere in the past when there already were resident farmers in that region. I remember having read in one source that the romans already had met people there and they were using full embodied coins which was the reason I choose silver as a currency. That was ca. 200 b.c. when they first got there.

So the game takes place between 200 b.c. and 1100 a.c.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wingfeather saga
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
bayerbube wrote:
davekuhns wrote:

Thanks!

meeple

The foundation of the estate La Granja marks the end of the game. The estate was formed out of many smaller farms. They were located around the small village Alpich on Mallorca. They grew together and became one estate. The game is about becoming the best farmer of one of the smaller farms to finally take over the big estate.

There is no 100% information about when the estate was founded. I once read, that it originated around 1100. But I cannot find that information now. The game takes place over hundreds of years. From small farms that are growing and finally becoming the big estate.

It is for sure that the foundation of the estate falls into the period the moors were controlling the country. Because water system that was established there was the reason the farms grew together and were so successful. And that water system was build by the moors.

So, the beginning of the game is somewhere in the past when there already were resident farmers in that region. I remember having read in one source that the romans already had met people there and they were using full embodied coins which was the reason I choose silver as a currency. That was ca. 200 b.c. when they first got there.

So the game takes place between 200 b.c. and 1100 a.c.

Nuts! I'm already up to the 1800s! I guess I'll have to retcon this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to add something.

Some people think of the game rounds and the possibilities to go to the market as "weeks". Like: Every week there is a local market.

To me this is more like having influence on the market. Think bigger: A farmer has a market stand on the market for generations. But then there is another farmer coming to the market. And he has bigger, newer, better goods. And the first farmer gets displaced.

Like the small grocery store that cannot continue because of the great supermarket that opend up next door... That is what I thought of when thinking about how to implement a market mechanism. Market power. Bigger stores putting smaller ones out of buisness...

davekuhns wrote:

Nuts! I'm already up to the 1800s! I guess I'll have to retcon this one

We once had a helper card we called "Hierbas Destiller". But when I found sources that dated this typical majorcan herb schnaps to the 16th century, we kicked it out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.