Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've come to really enjoy playing this game solo. Here's my easy solo version, based partly on another variant ("My home made solo variant"), and various thread comments:

- Set up game as per 2-player instructions, but with only one player setup, and place out 3 assistants for hire instead of 4.

- Place the 11 remaining unused game cards (3 coal burners, 3 workers, 5 assistants) in a pile. They will be used as a game round timer.

- At the beginning of each round, discard one of the remaining 11 cards from the timer pile. When the last card is discarded, this is the last round.

- I play using the 2.0 rules (for more about these, see the BGG rules forum), with a slight modification to the way cards are drawn in phase 1: during Phase 1 (New Hand Cards), discard any desired number of hand cards and redraw that many from the draw pile, then draw two new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Steph
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you very much for this variant, tried it about 3 times and I'm really enjoying it. Although I play by the 2.0 rules (ie. must either keep or discard the whole hand) - I find it makes for an interesting decision point. Out of curiosity, what's your score like? So far I've ranged between 30 and 34.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
My scores vary a lot, average maybe 32-34. This game has so much variation due to card draws. When I play with my wife, we get higher scores, because we tend to hold off building the 8th card to maximize production. My highest 2p score is 50.

I'd note that the expansion "Oh My Goods!: Longsdale in Aufruhr" uses a card based round timer like this variant, except that the timer cards change the game a little every round. It's pretty fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thank you for this variant. Love playing with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
El Rubinio wrote:
Thank you for this variant. Love playing with it!

You're welcome! It is still my favorite quick solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.