$20.00
$5.00
$30.00
$15.00
Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Affordable yet Attractive Round Chits w/ Cereal Box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
A very easy and affordable way to make attractive round tokens / chits is with multiple layers of cereal box glued together.

Items needed:
1) used cereal box (that would normally be thrown away)
2) Avery Permanent Glue Stick (Pack of six on amazon for $5.81 - 1.27 oz per tube)
3) either circle punch or cutting die for Sizzix or the like (I have one I use for scrapooking & handmade greeting cards).
4) printed out image
5) optional: packing tape.



Step 1: Punch out a bunch of cirles from the cereal box -- as many as you can then discard the scraps.

Step 2: glue about 4 or 5 layers together with glue stick making sure edges of layers are flush and let dry.. After about 5 minutes press down on them to make sure they dry compressed.



Step 3: Optionally mark edges of the chit with a sharpie of your favorite color -- or perhaps even dry brush on gold acrylic paint for a gilded look.



Step 4: Optionally apply clear packing tape (cheap stuff from walmart) over the printout to "laminate it" before circle punching it out.

Step 5: Punch out the circle and then apply with avery glue stick to the top of the newly formed layered chit. (Don't need to print on expensive label sheets as the Avery Permanent Glue stick does a great job).





I used this method for my Maquis build yesterday:

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3191316/maquis?size=large

Here are a few ghost tokens I made using this method for a Monopoly Add-On I am working on--Paranormal Monopoly Add-On. [When players lose, they turn into ghosts and wreak havoc on the other players trying to win -- it's fun getting revenge on someone that just caused you to bankrupt out of the game.]


13 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never thought to "laminate" with clear tape before, nice idea. I do worry that it will colour and break down over time, as that type of tape seems to do when used to seal boxes

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea. I might have to give this a try when I pick up again on my game project.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
after gluing things like this I put a stack of books on them and let them dry overnight. Makes sure there is a very good seal between all the layers.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
Sam Houston wrote:
after gluing things like this I put a stack of books on them and let them dry overnight. Makes sure there is a very good seal between all the layers.


This is a good idea. I've done that before with other projects. Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
Soleia wrote:
Nice idea. I might have to give this a try when I pick up again on my game project.


Let me know how it goes Makes the chits really affordable NO chipboard to buy, no label sheets And an easy way to cut them out.

I don't have the leather circle punching tools.. If I recall they are expensive for the larger ones. This way I do it allows me to use the cheap $8 punches or my sizzix cutting dies I already own.

Also since it is multiple laminated layers, the chips are quite rigid and make a nice clanky sound like clay /wood chips.. compared to punched chipboard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
lukerazor wrote:
I've never thought to "laminate" with clear tape before, nice idea. I do worry that it will colour and break down over time, as that type of tape seems to do when used to seal boxes



I use a color laser printer these days , and turned up the heat on it so it really melts the toner (plastic) to the high quality 32lb color laser paper (HP). As a result, my attempts to scratch the print with fingernail, with significant force, result in no cracked or flaking toner. So I don't really laminate them now with packing tape.

But everything I have laminated with packing tape still looks good. e.g. I laminate dice stickers. But it's only been a couple years. We'll see
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I purchase Bingo chips on Amazon. 1000+ for less than $10

I have also in the past purchased used beat up Bingo type games or games with chips for less than $5 and have used those.

I print the chits on label sheets. I use ink jet.

I use a circle punch to cut them and then stick them on the poker chips.

I then use a spray lacquer to seal them.

I find this quick and easy
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are printing on laser, using a paper setting that will crank up the heat as Jennifer suggested makes a real difference on the durability of your printouts.

I can vouch for packing tape, I've got stuff that I laminated with the stuff several years ago and it still looks great.

We eat loads of cereal at my house so I have a regular supply of free chipboard. I've made a lot of chits using the stuff (circular, square, hexagonal) and they come out great!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
turbocooler wrote:
I purchase Bingo chips on Amazon. 1000+ for less than $10

I have also in the past purchased used beat up Bingo type games or games with chips for less than $5 and have used those.

I print the chits on label sheets. I use ink jet.

I use a circle punch to cut them and then stick them on the poker chips.

I then use a spray lacquer to seal them.

I find this quick and easy


Great ideas thanks for sharing. I'll have to look into the Bingo chips! Never really played bingo before so didn't know about them. What's the diameter of the chips?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
boardgamegeekess wrote:
turbocooler wrote:
I purchase Bingo chips on Amazon. 1000+ for less than $10

I have also in the past purchased used beat up Bingo type games or games with chips for less than $5 and have used those.

I print the chits on label sheets. I use ink jet.

I use a circle punch to cut them and then stick them on the poker chips.

I then use a spray lacquer to seal them.

I find this quick and easy


Great ideas thanks for sharing. I'll have to look into the Bingo chips! Never really played bingo before so didn't know about them. What's the diameter of the chips?


Anywhere from 1/2 inch to 1 inch and you can find them larger if you look at plastic poker chips.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
turbocooler wrote:
boardgamegeekess wrote:
turbocooler wrote:
I purchase Bingo chips on Amazon. 1000+ for less than $10

I have also in the past purchased used beat up Bingo type games or games with chips for less than $5 and have used those.

I print the chits on label sheets. I use ink jet.

I use a circle punch to cut them and then stick them on the poker chips.

I then use a spray lacquer to seal them.

I find this quick and easy


Great ideas thanks for sharing. I'll have to look into the Bingo chips! Never really played bingo before so didn't know about them. What's the diameter of the chips?


Anywhere from 1/2 inch to 1 inch and you can find them larger if you look at plastic poker chips.


Could you share a couple photos of chips you've made this way. Would love to see them. And maybe if you could give me a link to a set I should buy to try this out? You know best which one to pick. I'd probably pick the wrong one Would much appreciate it. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

I like to buy wooden chits from my local craft shop for things like this. Michaels carries this sort of thing, but Michaels is very expensive.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
boardgamegeekess wrote:
turbocooler wrote:
boardgamegeekess wrote:
turbocooler wrote:
I purchase Bingo chips on Amazon. 1000+ for less than $10

I have also in the past purchased used beat up Bingo type games or games with chips for less than $5 and have used those.

I print the chits on label sheets. I use ink jet.

I use a circle punch to cut them and then stick them on the poker chips.

I then use a spray lacquer to seal them.

I find this quick and easy


Great ideas thanks for sharing. I'll have to look into the Bingo chips! Never really played bingo before so didn't know about them. What's the diameter of the chips?


Anywhere from 1/2 inch to 1 inch and you can find them larger if you look at plastic poker chips.


Could you share a couple photos of chips you've made this way. Would love to see them. And maybe if you could give me a link to a set I should buy to try this out? You know best which one to pick. I'd probably pick the wrong one Would much appreciate it. Thanks.


It will have to wait until the weekend for the picture. I am software developer and I am on a deadline which is why I am responding late.

However, here is link to the Bingo Chips. These are 3/4"
https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Bingo-Supplies-4-inch-Chips/dp/...

These are 1"
https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Two-Color-Counters...

These are made from wood. They are 1.5" and 1.3" They also have 2"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01182WAUG?psc=1&tag=article-board...

If you read the comments, many who have purchased the wooden ones are using them for game pieces

This is the link to the punch that I own. You can get it in 1", 1.5" and 2" circles

Print your images on single sheet label paper. I like this so I can get a glossy finish
https://www.amazon.com/LD-Glossy-Inkjet-Sticker-8-5X11/dp/B0...

When I am done, I spray this on them to protect the image and give it a nice smooth finish

https://www.amazon.com/Hahnemuhle-Protective-Spray-Digital-P...


Hope this helps for now until I can show a sample
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought sheets of chipboard (2mm) thick and then glue my printed out counter sheets down. Once dry I use an arch punch to cut them out. Works great for me but is time consuming and you have to get both sides of the tokens lined up right. The tokens I have made look as good/better than production ones.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.