Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Missions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Amos
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I just played my first campaign game over the weekend and I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the mission deck and when/how to move on to the next mission.
I was the Imperial player, with two rebel players (each playing two heroes). We played the introductory mission, "Aftermath." The rebels lost. In the campaign guide it says that if the rebels lose, you put the story mission "Under Siege" into play. Here is where my confusion begins.

I understand the basics of making the mission deck. On the campaign tracker, after the Aftermath mission, it states that the next mission is a side mission. But does that trump a mission triggered by the end of another mission? In other words, where do we go next? To "Under Siege," or do the rebel players draw two missions from the deck and select one? In the latter case, when do we then move on to "Under Siege"?

The instructions are not clear in this game!

Thanks for the help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You will always have one story mission active along with one or more side missions. Active does not mean they are next; it just means that they are available when the time comes to do either a story mission or a side mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Missions are put into play, and then you select a valid mission from those in play according to the Campaign Log at the back of the Campaign Guide.

So by the Story Mission being put into play, it will be the next Story Mission you play when a Story Mission is due to be played. It remains in play until you resolve it.

So you put the Story Mission into play and as per the Mission structure, you also put two Side Missions into play. When you resolve a Side Mission from the Side Mission deck, you will replace it with a new card from that deck, so there will always be two from the deck in play to choose from when it is time for a Side Mission. Other Side Mission cards might be put into play from the Agenda Deck as well, and they have their own rules, but again, being put into play means they can be chosen when the next mission of that type is due.

The only missions that aren't put into play are 'Forced Missions'. These use different wording and tell you that you must play the Forced Mission next. They can come from the story or from the Agenda deck.

So where you are at the moment, you just need to draw two Side Missions and let the Rebels decide which they want to do. Then you'll do "Under Siege" as the third mission as it will be the only Story Mission in play. Then you'll do another Side Mission (chosen from the one you didn't pick before, a new one from that deck, and perhaps an Agenda one the Imperial Player purchased).

The Campaign continues until you reach the Finale mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis T
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are well writen. English is not my native language and i understand competely the rules. When you have a question try to read carefully and slowly to understand what you are reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also see the previous thread: Side missions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
I can see how you're confused, I was confused with too when I first started. I think people have done a good job explaining this so far, but allow me to offer a slightly different perspective.

At any given point during a campaign, you're probably going to have several active missions in what you could refer to as a "mission pool". These are the events that are queued up to trigger, once they're able. ALWAYS refer to the campaign guide when choosing what mission is next.

If it's a story mission, choose the one active story mission in your pool.

If it's a side mission, choose one of the active side missions (including a possible Agenda mission).

The only exception to this rule is forced missions. Those you play immediately, outside of the typical structure of a campaign. That's why they have their own spot on the campaign guide page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GladiatorGr wrote:
The rules are well writen. English is not my native language and i understand competely the rules. When you have a question try to read carefully and slowly to understand what you are reading.

The rules are written well enough, but it would have been a big help if FFG included an example of how it works in practice in the instructions. It's one thing to read and understand, but it's also great to have confirmation of that understanding.

This question comes up all the time, and it's one I had as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Amos
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Ok thanks that really helps.. Looks like I was on the right track then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
c4dillon wrote:
The rules are written well enough, but it would have been a big help if FFG included an example of how it works in practice in the instructions. It's one thing to read and understand, but it's also great to have confirmation of that understanding.

This question comes up all the time, and it's one I had as well.

They do include examples on page 13 of the Learn to Play Guide. It says exactly how to resolve things and tells you what to do after the Introductory Mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.