Hide
7 Posts

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Print and Play // Fan made Expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Tiong
msg tools
This is such a good game with so much potential.

I was disappointed to hear that the only 2 expansions were for new characters and no new quests. I would have thought they would add a new quest in for the new characters that could link to their background story and flesh them out as well as giving you new adventures for your existing characters.

It's impossible to find these expansions now in Australia and ebay they are selling for as much as a full board game.

Since FF and GW ended their relationship they aren't making any more prints. Would it be wrong to hope for a print and play of the expansions and/or fans to make additional characters / quests?

The system seems great and it would be fun to have more adventures / characters rather than have such a great game and system die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Tiong
msg tools
Or is it possible that GW will take on to supporting the games that FF made. It would make business sense to continue to support something that is so well designed rather than having to spend money on developing something new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin Hassar
France
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mystic_puppy wrote:
Since FF and GW ended their relationship they aren't making any more prints. Would it be wrong to hope for a print and play of the expansions and/or fans to make additional characters / quests?

The system seems great and it would be fun to have more adventures / characters rather than have such a great game and system die.

There are already some fan made adventures there: Fan & Unoffical Content Summary (Quests, Campaigns, Heroes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Tiong
msg tools
Thanks. I'll go check them out :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Tiong
msg tools
The other thought I had was who owns the licence to the game system?

The IP goes back to Games Workshop. Does the games that FF made now go to GW too?

Ie can FF make another game reskinned to use the exact same system as WHQTACG and be compatible e.g., with Descent quests and characters and it is fully compatible? Then you could mix characters/quests from WHQTACG. Maybe they could release Descent: The Adventure Card Game and it's exactly the same except with Descent quests and characters? Or any other game they have licence to. They might need to change the name of some of the mechanics or icons on the cards depending on if they hold a licence to those names/icons or not but otherwise it's the same.

OR does the licence to the game system go to GW. In which case since it's already a well designed game it would make sense to just continue with new expansions, reprint the game and existing expansions but with the GW logo instead of the FF logo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mystic_puppy wrote:
The other thought I had was who owns the licence to the game system?

The IP goes back to Games Workshop. Does the games that FF made now go to GW too?

Ie can FF make another game reskinned to use the exact same system as WHQTACG and be compatible e.g., with Descent quests and characters and it is fully compatible? Then you could mix characters/quests from WHQTACG. Maybe they could release Descent: The Adventure Card Game and it's exactly the same except with Descent quests and characters? Or any other game they have licence to. They might need to change the name of some of the mechanics or icons on the cards depending on if they hold a licence to those names/icons or not but otherwise it's the same.

OR does the licence to the game system go to GW. In which case since it's already a well designed game it would make sense to just continue with new expansions, reprint the game and existing expansions but with the GW logo instead of the FF logo

I don't know the details of IP laws, but as far as I know, the game's system and mechanics can't be copyrighted. So FFG would only possess the IP from the rulebook and the stories of the different scenarios in the campaign. However, it is considered bad business to completely "steal" another company's game and change the universe, theme and rules to avoid IP lawsuits.

In my opinion, the most likely scenario would be that FFG made a retheme of the game under another universe, like Runebound/Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Tiong
msg tools
I'm not sure how it would work either but I would imagine someone is allowed to use the system.

Either FF because they invested the time and money to develop it. They could use it for another world like Descent.

Or perhaps when the licence goes to GW they own the game from now on and can sell it and make expansions to it? Like they can now publish Warhammer Quest and take over making expansions and future releases of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.