The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some newbie questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Sorensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Just played our first game (me and the kid) today and we both had an amazing time.
The kid was literally jumping around when we finally brought down the last big spider.

A few general questions:

For those of you with big collections, when you play an old quest do you limit yourself to the cards that were available at the time or do you use pretty much everything?

Can someone explain the use of the Quick Strike card?
I can pay 1 to exhaust a character and attack someone that is an eligible enemy target.
What benefits are there to this instead of just attacking normally for free?
I'm sure I am missing something incredibly obvious.

Shields (defense rating) only apply against combat damage correct? If a card deals direct damage to a monster, should we reduce it by the number of shields?

Thank you in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) some will but others (me) find it too troublesome to constantly sort sphere cards by publication date.

2) Quick Strike lets you attack an enemy outside the normal combat window.

3) in general, no. The enemy's shield still reduces the damage. This game is hard and likes to crush your soul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
3) in general, no. The enemy's shield still reduces the damage. This game is hard and likes to crush your soul.

Pretty certain this is wrong. If a card tells you to deal X damage to an enemy, you give it X damage, unless stated otherwise. You only count it's defence value during the usual attack phase (or any outside the phase, like Quick Strike).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Devos
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
Robrob wrote:

Pretty certain this is wrong. If a card tells you to deal X damage to an enemy, you give it X damage, unless stated otherwise. You only count it's defence value during the usual attack phase (or any outside the phase, like Quick Strike).

indeed, most instant damage deals only 1, maybe 2 hit points. Not alot of enemies have 0 armor so skills like for example Thalin would be useless if above was true.

tonksey wrote:
[q="Robrob"]3) Can someone explain the use of the Quick Strike card?
I can pay 1 to exhaust a character and attack someone that is an eligible enemy target.
What benefits are there to this instead of just attacking normally for free?
I'm sure I am missing something incredibly obvious.

as stated above it lets you attack outside the normal attack window. With a strong attacker this could mean the end of the enemy before it even has a chance to attack, effectively lowering possible damage you might take in the actual combat phase. Or you could kill something with for example Dunhere in the staging area (which is an eligible target if he attacks alone) even before quest resolution to remove its threat. All in all its a very potent card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, yes I misread the question - combat damage (of any type) is reduced by the enemy's defense. The action word "dealt" (as in deal one damage to the enemy) is direct damage which does not get reduced. This is what makes Gondorian Spearman a valuable early card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Sorry, yes I misread the question - combat damage (of any type) is reduced by the enemy's defense. The action word "dealt" (as in deal one damage to the enemy) is direct damage which does not get reduced. This is what makes Gondorian Spearman a valuable early card.

In Rob Robs defence, he didn't get the third question completely wrong. The game is indeed hard and likes to crush your soul...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
1) some will but others (me) find it too troublesome to constantly sort sphere cards by publication date.

Plus that would limit my most recent cards to play against the most recent decks. When I started the game and was catching up I played "progression style" for my first play against each quest, which helped me slowly integrate cards into the card pool, but now that I've caught up it's all one big card pool.

Quote:
2) Quick Strike lets you attack an enemy outside the normal combat window.

Specifically, you want to use Quick Strike before the enemy attacks, with an attacker capable of killing the enemy.

Quote:

While this is incorrect for direct damage, note that in several saga quests you have Uruk-Hai with "toughness X", which does reduce direct damage along with combat damage. Seriously annoying for my campaign with Thalin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Sorensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Appreciate the answers!

Quick Strike makes perfect sense now :-)
Like i said, it was something super obvious that I just wasn't catching on to.

In today's game, we used it to let Legolas nail an enemy attacking the other player (since he has range)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.