Terraforming Mars» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Humanity's Quick Start Guide to Terraforming Mars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Quick-Start-Guide [+] COMICSTYL [+] [View All]
Nikolaj Sehested
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Wow... Very Nice review and a really awesome comic-style Quick guide I hope you make more of those for other board games.

Best,
Nikolaj
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Lacroix
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
Follow us à L'École du Jeu on YouTube!
badge
Follow us à L'École du Jeu on YouTube!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Now I NEED to play that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Olson
United States
Woodbine
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
One, please
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice overview and review!

I haven't played enough yet to comment on your opinions - I just wanted to say thanks for all the time you spent on the post!

review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an efficiency game.

As your skill improves and the skill of your opponents improves, the fewer turns you will use and the faster the game will end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Take it easy baby, take it as it comes ... (The Doors)
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mbmbmbmb
Where would I be without you.....
Thanks again Cedric for another fantastic guide, now I can start playing the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review!

What I really learn from it is that there's only one thing you don't like about Terraforming Mars, and it's not the player mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Haanstra
Netherlands
flag msg tools
[quote]As a side note, instead of Drafting, I really wish someone can come up with another variant that allows players to screen through more cards without increasing game duration! A game duration of 90 minutes for this game would be perfect. For me.[/quote]

After my first play, I thought one should follow Power Grid's mechanism: you reveal say 10 cards; each player in succession gets a chance to bid on it. When a card is selected, he gets the card and a new card comes in place. This continues on till everyone bought up to 4 cards or passed (once passed you cant buy anymore just like playing turns during generation). Bidding starts with the player whos turn it is, then second player and so on. When it is someone's turn to select a card to put up for auction and he passes, he can no longer bid and is done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Bugeanu
Romania
flag msg tools

I didn't have the chance to play the game but after I've read a lot of reviews regarding Terraforming Mars or Scythe (at least 15 review about Scythe and around of 10 about TM) I've found your INCREDIBLE/GORGEOUS review and now I think what game I will buy )

Thank you very much for your review and for your time spent to write this review.

Cheers mate! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akshay Anand
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Just wanted to thank you for the awesome review. Don't always have time for a thorough video review, so this was perfect

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarek Rifaat
Canada
PIERREFONDS
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Amazing review. What software did you use to put the images and text on this format?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. The game duration does come down with more players, as the pace of terraforming the planet increases with more folks busy at it. On the other hand if your group is more into honing an elegant economy, it may not work out exactly that way, but pretty close. Your approach seems to be a bit contradictory however. Drafting adds back more time with more players than the time you will save by just adding more players. If you are not a fan of the CE game, in order to slim down the deck and make it play faster, drafting is going to cancel that out as well.

You can incorporate variations on the draft (every other generation or whatever seems to balance out best), include the Prelude cards (no point discussing Venus Next obviously), but between the variable Corporations and Prelude cards you don't need the other kick-start option to give every Corp plus one to each resource production.

Nice picturesque posting though - nice work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adhai Gray
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice quick-start manual

One thing though - there's no mention about first 10 cards - you need to choose from them, by paying 3 MC for each, or discard.

Only beginner corporation allows you to 'just draw them'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No fan of the cult of the new, so I’m not distraught over your opinions. That said, you lost me at base game a 3. That’s patently absurd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
new user
mbmbmbmb
Nice review and thanks a lot for the quick start guide!
You dont plan to do a similar quick start guide for Scythe by any chance, or know someone who did?
Anyway, great work!

Edit: Nevermind, found one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Simons
msg tools
Great guide - thanks for putting this together

For me - Prelude is a critical expansion to add to aid in decreasing total playing time at any player count

The other option is to use some of the other expansions that add in the World Government phase to force at least 1 extra global parameter to be raised per generation (which may offset the extra decisions and actions that do not directly raise global parameters that come with Colonies or Venus)

Playing with both Prelude and one of these expansions may have been the fastest our 2 player games have gone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |