Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, my name is Paul Grogan and welcome to the second in a series of sneak preview articles for the game Adrenaline, a new game from designer Filip Neduk and published by Czech Games Edition. In this preview, I’m going to be covering the rules for Weapons and Ammo.
If you haven’t read Sneak Preview 1 yet, go and do so now, otherwise Keith is going to shoot you with his Rocket Launcher...

Ammo
There are 3 types of ammo in the game, represented by the coloured cubes. Each player has their own supply of 3 of each cube, but you only start the game with one of each, which is placed in the Ammo area on the right side of your player board.

You can get more ammo by picking it up from Ammo tiles, scattered around the arena. This is most definitely not a safe working environment. When you pick up an Ammo tile, gain the cubes listed on it, and then discard the tile – a new one will spawn in its place at the end of the turn.

Some Ammo tiles, like the one on the right only show 2 cubes, so they can’t be as good right?… except, they also indicate a powerup card, which is awesome, so maybe they are better - who knows. Anyway, if you pick up an ammo tile with a Powerup icon on it, you get to draw… guess what… thats right, a Powerup card – I’ll explain them more in a later preview.

Picking up and reloading weapons is going to cost you Ammo, so you’re going to need to collect as much of this in the game as you can. Wait a minute, that sounds like another game...

Weapons
When you left the house this morning, you remembered to feed the cat and turn the cooker off. However, you forgot to bring your guns! Luckily, there are a number of guns available in the arena for you to pick up, three at each of the spawn points. They are floating in the air, and nobody actually knows how that is possible, so please don’t ask.
So, there are three spawn points in the game, Red, Yellow, and Blue, and there are 3 weapons to choose from at each spawn point.

Picking up a weapon requires the pick up action, and if you look at the image below, you can see in the top left of the weapon the ammo needed to load it. If you can’t load it, you are not allowed to pick it up (Regulation 17c paragraph 9.2). But, lucky for you, the weapons at the spawn points are partially pre-loaded. That means that whatever cube is shown at the very top is already inside the weapon.

So, if you wanted to pick-up the Flamethrower, you could, because it is already loaded. But to pick up the Plasma Gun, you would have to spend a yellow cube.

When you pick up a weapon, it goes into your hand. A card in your hand is worth 2 in the bush, no... wait a minute... a card in your hand means it is loaded and ready to fire. When you attack someone with that weapon, slam the card down on the table in front of you and do whatever it says (I’ll explain this later).
To reload the weapon (putting it back in your hand), you need to spend the full reload cost, which is all of the cubes shown in the top left.

Attacking People!
Every weapon is different and they all allow you to do damage to people in a variety of interesting ways. A lot of the weapons use the “Can you see him?” line of sight rules, which are very simple. The arena is divided into rooms, color-coded for your convenience. You can always see someone in the same room as you. And… if you are adjacent to a doorway, you can see everyone in the next room too.
So, in the example below, the yellow robot who goes by the name of “D-struct-0R” can see everyone in the highlighted rooms.

Other weapons do not require you to see them, such as the Railgun, which can actually shoot through walls, and the Heatseeker (my personal favourite) which you can only fire at someone who you CANNOT see.

The number of blood drops over the icon on the weapon is how much damage you do to them, so if you shoot someone with a Railgun (using the top effect), you deal them 3 damage.

To indicate this damage, put your blood drop markers on that player’s damage track. When someone’s damage track fills up, they are killed and points are given out to everyone who contributed to killing them! More on this in the next preview

Optional Effects
Some weapons have optional additional effects, some of which cost ammo to use, but some don’t. The Plasma Gun (yes, that one above again) has two optional effects. You can do either of them, or both. The first allows you to move up to 2 spaces, which could be before or after you attack. And the other effect allows you to spend a blue ammo to deal 1 extra damage when you shoot someone. Neat.

Alternative Effects
Other weapons have alternative effects, meaning it replaces the basic ability of the weapon. Take the Railgun for example. You can either shoot 1 target for 3 damage, or 2 targets for 2 damage each.

That's all for Preview 2. I'll be back next time. Until then, stay safe, and if in any doubt as to what to do in a game of Adrenaline, always shoot Jeff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
A picture of the Rail Gun would be nice laugh
But many thanks for these!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jion wrote:

Marty stole it to shoot Tony... I've just got it back from him and added the image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

The Plasma Gun (yes, that one above again) has two optional effects. The first allows you to move up to 2 spaces, which could be before or after you attack. And the other effect allows you to spend a blue ammo to deal 1 extra damage when you shoot someone. Neat.

I know I should wait for the rulebook, but I have two questions:
1. Do you have to choose the optional effect or can you pick both?
2. Can you move 1 space, shoot and move 1 more space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
the_vinman wrote:

I know I should wait for the rulebook, but I have two questions:
1. Do you have to choose the optional effect or can you pick both?
2. Can you move 1 space, shoot and move 1 more space?

Yes you should
1. I have updated the text.
2. Nope, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is there a limit to how many guns you can carry or should I just assume that I'm infinitely strong (like I always do)? cool
If there is a limit can you then swap one of your used and/or loaded guns for brand new shiny one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agner wrote:
So is there a limit to how many guns you can carry or should I just assume that I'm infinitely strong (like I always do)? cool
If there is a limit can you then swap one of your used and/or loaded guns for brand new shiny one?

3 weapons max. You probably wont need more. If you do pick up a 4th, you have to put one back. If only we were all as infinitely strong as you, we wouldn't need these silly restrictive rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Connell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Jion wrote:

Marty stole it to shoot Tony... I've just got it back from him and added the image.

A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gent
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for continuing to preview this game Paul, as you know I am really looking forward to it.

A couple of questions:

1. Do you have any idea when this will be releasing in FLGSs, is it 1/2 weeks after Essen or further away than that?

2. Can you explain the flamethrower card, it is clear there is one type of damage for spending a red cube and another for spending 2 yellow cubes. Is the red cube required in addition to the two yellow cubes for the lower attack or just the two yellow cubes? Additionally the drops for the second attack look to have an explosive effect that hurts everyone in the room, is that right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MS121HAZEL wrote:
A couple of questions:

1. CGE are the best people to ask that direct.
2. Flamethrower. Once a weapon is loaded and in your hand, you do not need ammo to fire it... UNLESS it says so.
So. If you have a loaded flamethrower, you can use the top effect at no extra cost. If you want to do the bottom effect, you spend 2 yellow cubes.
Then, to reload it, you spend a red. And repeat.

Oh, and yeah, those explosive drops means area damage to everyone in the space!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I understanding the map layout and how it works with movement,LOS and shooting?;

The blue room is made up of 3 spaces. It would take 2 moves to get to the other side and a weapon showing 2 floor spaces to hit a player at the other end of the room.

The yellow player could see everyone in the yellow room but a player in any space in the yellow room, except for the one right by the door adjacent to the yellow player, can not see the yellow player. However, the yellow player can only shoot at players in a strait line without a special weapon. So the players in the 2 right side squares would be safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Is the flamethrower showing that hits opponents in specified spaces and the Railgun is hitting opponents in specified rooms? Does the line of icons indicate that targets must be in an actual line or more that you can (in the case of the flamethrower) target one opponent in one space and another in a completely different space. D-struct-OR, in your example, could flame an opponent in the green room he is in and another opponent in the yellow room below him. Or he could target the space next to him in the green room and then only an opponent in the space beyond the first target in that same green room?

Really excited about this game. Hope the wait to retail isn't too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the card shows individual floor spaces then that's the exact positioning required (note how the flamethrower card shows the floor broken into individual squares)

If there's no floor shown, then you just need to be able to see your target (unless there's the crossed out eye)

Not sure about the railgun, it didn't come up in the game I played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:

If there's no floor shown, then you just need LOS (unless there's the crossed out eye)

Do weapons fire in strait lines? With the above description and the explained line of sight rules, the yellow player with the plasma gun would be able to shoot around the corner and hit Someone in the top right space of the yellow room.

It seams to me that LOS through doors should be limited to a strait line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPBTooL wrote:
Tarnop wrote:

If there's no floor shown, then you just need LOS (unless there's the crossed out eye)

Do weapons fire in strait lines? With the above description and the explained line of sight rules, the yellow player with the plasma gun would be able to shoot around the corner and hit Someone in the top right space of the yellow room.

Isn't that because there is a door?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SPBTooL wrote:
If you are next to a doorway, you can see every space in THAT room. Just imagine you are at the doorway, peeking round the corner.

We're trying to avoid the term LOS, even though I know everyone will use it.

The rule is:
Can I see them?
If yes, shoot them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
SPBTooL wrote:
If you are next to a doorway, you can see every space in THAT room. Just imagine you are at the doorway, peeking round the corner.

The rule is:
Can I see them?
If yes, shoot them.

Are the floor indicators on the weapons just a measure for how many spaces the effect travels or has to be away from me?

So the flame thrower could hit the top left and right sides in the yellow room from the doorway?

Does that mean if I was in the yellow room at the bottom left I could hit a player with the flame thrower above me and then hit another player to the right of them in the top right yellow space?

Can weapons shoot diagonal or just orthogonal? If I shot the first player in the top right space can I hit the second player in the bottom left?

I don't want to be a pain here. Just trying to help. Right now it looks as though in trying to create a simple LoS, which it is even if you don't want to call it that, you are counteracting the logical way the weapons seem to work. But if the weapons are not a linier affect and fire can turn a corner then I guess it isn't an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I hear more about this game it makes we want it that much more. Can't wait for this to come out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All weapons will be fully explained in the rulebook. These previews are just a taster really.

The flames from the flamethrower dont turn corners. The two squares indicated in the effect must be in a straight line away from you. Normal "can I see them?" rules dont apply.

There is no grey area in the weapons, I just haven't gone into all the details here, but they are all clearly defined in the rulebook, and once you've played once, the iconography becomes clear. During all the demos at events, people got them real quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

The rule is:
Can I see them?
If yes, shoot them.

I support this wholeheartedly, and have removed the cursed term from my post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I understand this correctly that the D-struct-0R can shot the whole yellow room, but only someone one the top left space could shot back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
Do I understand this correctly that the D-struct-0R can shot the whole yellow room, but only someone one the top left space could shot back?

Yes. But they would be able to move first on their turn so they could get into LoS on D-struct-OR before shooting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack. Yes, absolutely right.
Sean. Only if they spent an action to do so (or had adrenaline action 2)

There is definitely action efficiency in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So.. at the risk of sounding harsh: where is the actual game here? I've read all the 3 previews, I understand you can pick up ammo, guns and then shoot. But, the map looks EXTREMELY tight, which means that if I understood it correctly, pretty much everyone will be shooting everyone. Now, this perfectly resembles the spirit of a good FPS arena shooter, but in video games, skill (aim/movement/dodging) plays a crucial role and differentiates the experience. Obviously, that's not something you can easily implement in board game. So, again - where's the game? What kind of decisions am I expected to make? How do I win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks to me like maintaining enough and the right kinds of ammo to use your guns. Using the right guns and abilities on those guns to effectively and efficiently do the most damage possible to be the majority damage dealer on the most valuable targets. Getting the bonus cards for timely special abilities and deciding when to overkill. Choosing who to damage in sure is a key decision too. Some targets will be more valuable at different times, and sometimes you will decide whether to do a little damage and kill someone, or a lot of damage to someone else, etc.

I am super excited for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.