Lawrence Wang
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So just a few days ago, someone in my gaming group mentioned that I'm only allowed to use 1 item at a time and I need to choose before the encounter. I don't remember reading that in the rules. I've just been using all my items and spells on a character every encounter.

So what's the rules here?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Straddllw wrote:
So just a few days ago, someone in my gaming group mentioned that I'm only allowed to use 1 item at a time and I need to choose before the encounter. I don't remember reading that in the rules. I've just been using all my items and spells on a character every encounter.

So what's the rules here?


Your gaming group partner is wrong. I think that might have been a rule in Arkham Horror (a lot of people seem to make a similar mistake) but [ED: apparently not for that bit; rest is all correct!] in Eldritch you can use any and all items.

The only exception is that bonuses that say "Gain +x [skill icon]" or "Gain +x to all skills" don't stack. Anything that says "additional dice" stack, anything that allows you to alter results or reroll dice stacks, anything that adjusts outcomes like a monster's horror stacks. For things explicitly written as "gain +x", you'll have to pick the single largest value when calculating your skill value but that's the only restriction.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Straddllw wrote:
So just a few days ago, someone in my gaming group mentioned that I'm only allowed to use 1 item at a time and I need to choose before the encounter. I don't remember reading that in the rules.

In such situations, I would simply ask the person where that is in the rules.

(And if they don't know, that's typically a good sign that they hallucinated their "rule".)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Straddllw wrote:
So just a few days ago, someone in my gaming group mentioned that I'm only allowed to use 1 item at a time and I need to choose before the encounter. I don't remember reading that in the rules. I've just been using all my items and spells on a character every encounter.

So what's the rules here?


Your gaming group partner is wrong. I think that might have been a rule in Arkham Horror (a lot of people seem to make a similar mistake) but in Eldritch you can use any and all items.

The only exception is that bonuses that say "Gain +x [skill icon]" or "Gain +x to all skills" don't stack. Anything that says "additional dice" stack, anything that allows you to alter results or reroll dice stacks, anything that adjusts outcomes like a monster's horror stacks. For things explicitly written as "gain +x", you'll have to pick the single largest value when calculating your skill value but that's the only restriction.


This might be what they were thinking - the rule that only one "Gain +X" bonus can apply rather than only one item.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Wang
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Straddllw wrote:
So just a few days ago, someone in my gaming group mentioned that I'm only allowed to use 1 item at a time and I need to choose before the encounter. I don't remember reading that in the rules. I've just been using all my items and spells on a character every encounter.

So what's the rules here?


Your gaming group partner is wrong. I think that might have been a rule in Arkham Horror
Nope. That isn't the thing in Arkham either.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Straddllw wrote:
So just a few days ago, someone in my gaming group mentioned that I'm only allowed to use 1 item at a time and I need to choose before the encounter. I don't remember reading that in the rules. I've just been using all my items and spells on a character every encounter.

So what's the rules here?


Your gaming group partner is wrong. I think that might have been a rule in Arkham Horror
Nope. That isn't the thing in Arkham either.


Fair enough, fixed above. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Straddllw wrote:
So just a few days ago, someone in my gaming group mentioned that I'm only allowed to use 1 item at a time and I need to choose before the encounter. I don't remember reading that in the rules. I've just been using all my items and spells on a character every encounter.

So what's the rules here?


Your gaming group partner is wrong. I think that might have been a rule in Arkham Horror
Nope. That isn't the thing in Arkham either.


But isn't it true in Arkham that items have sometimes "hand" symbols that restrict you to a total of 2 hands on your items?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Straddllw wrote:
So just a few days ago, someone in my gaming group mentioned that I'm only allowed to use 1 item at a time and I need to choose before the encounter. I don't remember reading that in the rules. I've just been using all my items and spells on a character every encounter.

So what's the rules here?


Your gaming group partner is wrong. I think that might have been a rule in Arkham Horror
Nope. That isn't the thing in Arkham either.


But isn't it true in Arkham that items have sometimes "hand" symbols that restrict you to a total of 2 hands on your items?
That's true.
I haven't stated that there are no restrictions at all. Just there's no "one item only" restriction.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
It's alright, I realized I actually have been playing incorrectly. Up until this weekend, I treated the Damage Test as sort of a zero ground when dealing damage. So, if a Monster had health of 4 and damage of 2 and I rolled three successes, I would have taken my successes (3) minus the damage (2) for only one hit against him.

I actually won a game once like this. Now that I actually know how to do combat correctly, I expect to win many more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig O'Connor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:
It's alright, I realized I actually have been playing incorrectly. Up until this weekend, I treated the Damage Test as sort of a zero ground when dealing damage. So, if a Monster had health of 4 and damage of 2 and I rolled three successes, I would have taken my successes (3) minus the damage (2) for only one hit against him.

I actually won a game once like this. Now that I actually know how to do combat correctly, I expect to win many more.


I found this extremely confusing for our first game too, mainly because the rulebook is badly worded when it comes to combat (though the rules reference guide is more clear) and I plain didn't understand why the rulebook said both the investigator and the monster took damage simultaneously.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gili kleinberger
Israel
Jerusalem
Select State
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
[q="Straddllw"]

The only exception is that bonuses that say "Gain +x [skill icon]" or "Gain +x to all skills" don't stack. Anything that says "additional dice" stack, anything that allows you to alter results or reroll dice stacks, anything that adjusts outcomes like a monster's horror stacks. For things explicitly written as "gain +x", you'll have to pick the single largest value when calculating your skill value but that's the only restriction.


Does that apply also for the special powers of investigators? For instanse Jim can roll one more dice during combat. Does that mean that he cannot combine his power with a weapon?

Also, if I have a card that gives me a reroll and a +1 to the strenght, can I use only the reroll with a different weapon that gives me more strenght?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
You can use everything and the kitchen sink from whatever number or type of sources.
Except multiple "gain +x" effects on the same test.
You CAN use whatever else the sources of those gain effects give you (rerolls etc).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Hristov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
haliga wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
[q="Straddllw"]

The only exception is that bonuses that say "Gain +x [skill icon]" or "Gain +x to all skills" don't stack. Anything that says "additional dice" stack, anything that allows you to alter results or reroll dice stacks, anything that adjusts outcomes like a monster's horror stacks. For things explicitly written as "gain +x", you'll have to pick the single largest value when calculating your skill value but that's the only restriction.


Does that apply also for the special powers of investigators? For instanse Jim can roll one more dice during combat. Does that mean that he cannot combine his power with a weapon?

Also, if I have a card that gives me a reroll and a +1 to the strenght, can I use only the reroll with a different weapon that gives me more strenght?

Thanks!

You can use only one (usually the biggest) direct bonus from assets plus any additional effects. The stacking should go:
Improvement tokens + biggest asset/spell bonus + any secondary upgrades (extra dice, reroll).
So if you have a gun +3 str, ally with +1 str and reroll and .18 derringer, you can use +3 str only, the reroll from the ally and the "add one on a die during combat" from the derringer. If you have lucky ring, you can use the reroll from there as well, so in this setup you'll have 3 bonus die + 2 rerolls + add 1 to a die value.


Similarly, derringer, +3 str weapon, lucky ring and sword of saint gerome, you use only the +5 str from the sword, the sanity recovery, the derringer ability as above and the reroll from the ring.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amor Bavian
msg tools
weerax wrote:
haliga wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
[q="Straddllw"]

The only exception is that bonuses that say "Gain +x [skill icon]" or "Gain +x to all skills" don't stack. Anything that says "additional dice" stack, anything that allows you to alter results or reroll dice stacks, anything that adjusts outcomes like a monster's horror stacks. For things explicitly written as "gain +x", you'll have to pick the single largest value when calculating your skill value but that's the only restriction.


Does that apply also for the special powers of investigators? For instanse Jim can roll one more dice during combat. Does that mean that he cannot combine his power with a weapon?

Also, if I have a card that gives me a reroll and a +1 to the strenght, can I use only the reroll with a different weapon that gives me more strenght?

Thanks!

You can use only one (usually the biggest) direct bonus from assets plus any additional effects. The stacking should go:
Improvement tokens + biggest asset/spell bonus + any secondary upgrades (extra dice, reroll).
So if you have a gun +3 str, ally with +1 str and reroll and .18 derringer, you can use +3 str only, the reroll from the ally and the "add one on a die during combat" from the derringer. If you have lucky ring, you can use the reroll from there as well, so in this setup you'll have 3 bonus die + 2 rerolls + add 1 to a die value.


Similarly, derringer, +3 str weapon, lucky ring and sword of saint gerome, you use only the +5 str from the sword, the sanity recovery, the derringer ability as above and the reroll from the ring.



I get all that but what if you on top of that had a Spell giving +X strength - can you stack that with the sword?

Logically I would say yes (spell + weapon combo just makes sense to me) but I think the rules state otherwise?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
amorbavian wrote:
weerax wrote:
haliga wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
[q="Straddllw"]

The only exception is that bonuses that say "Gain +x [skill icon]" or "Gain +x to all skills" don't stack. Anything that says "additional dice" stack, anything that allows you to alter results or reroll dice stacks, anything that adjusts outcomes like a monster's horror stacks. For things explicitly written as "gain +x", you'll have to pick the single largest value when calculating your skill value but that's the only restriction.


Does that apply also for the special powers of investigators? For instanse Jim can roll one more dice during combat. Does that mean that he cannot combine his power with a weapon?

Also, if I have a card that gives me a reroll and a +1 to the strenght, can I use only the reroll with a different weapon that gives me more strenght?

Thanks!

You can use only one (usually the biggest) direct bonus from assets plus any additional effects. The stacking should go:
Improvement tokens + biggest asset/spell bonus + any secondary upgrades (extra dice, reroll).
So if you have a gun +3 str, ally with +1 str and reroll and .18 derringer, you can use +3 str only, the reroll from the ally and the "add one on a die during combat" from the derringer. If you have lucky ring, you can use the reroll from there as well, so in this setup you'll have 3 bonus die + 2 rerolls + add 1 to a die value.


Similarly, derringer, +3 str weapon, lucky ring and sword of saint gerome, you use only the +5 str from the sword, the sanity recovery, the derringer ability as above and the reroll from the ring.



I get all that but what if you on top of that had a Spell giving +X strength - can you stack that with the sword?

Logically I would say yes (spell + weapon combo just makes sense to me) but I think the rules state otherwise?
Only one "gain +X" bonus, no matter the source. Everything else stacks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.