Lawrence Wang
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So just a few days ago, someone in my gaming group mentioned that I'm only allowed to use 1 item at a time and I need to choose before the encounter. I don't remember reading that in the rules. I've just been using all my items and spells on a character every encounter.

So what's the rules here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Straddllw wrote:
So just a few days ago, someone in my gaming group mentioned that I'm only allowed to use 1 item at a time and I need to choose before the encounter. I don't remember reading that in the rules. I've just been using all my items and spells on a character every encounter.

Your gaming group partner is wrong. I think that might have been a rule in Arkham Horror (a lot of people seem to make a similar mistake) but [ED: apparently not for that bit; rest is all correct!] in Eldritch you can use any and all items.

The only exception is that bonuses that say "Gain +x [skill icon]" or "Gain +x to all skills" don't stack. Anything that says "additional dice" stack, anything that allows you to alter results or reroll dice stacks, anything that adjusts outcomes like a monster's horror stacks. For things explicitly written as "gain +x", you'll have to pick the single largest value when calculating your skill value but that's the only restriction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Straddllw wrote:
So just a few days ago, someone in my gaming group mentioned that I'm only allowed to use 1 item at a time and I need to choose before the encounter. I don't remember reading that in the rules.

In such situations, I would simply ask the person where that is in the rules.

(And if they don't know, that's typically a good sign that they hallucinated their "rule".)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Straddllw wrote:

Your gaming group partner is wrong. I think that might have been a rule in Arkham Horror (a lot of people seem to make a similar mistake) but in Eldritch you can use any and all items.

The only exception is that bonuses that say "Gain +x [skill icon]" or "Gain +x to all skills" don't stack. Anything that says "additional dice" stack, anything that allows you to alter results or reroll dice stacks, anything that adjusts outcomes like a monster's horror stacks. For things explicitly written as "gain +x", you'll have to pick the single largest value when calculating your skill value but that's the only restriction.

This might be what they were thinking - the rule that only one "Gain +X" bonus can apply rather than only one item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Wang
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Straddllw wrote:

Your gaming group partner is wrong. I think that might have been a rule in Arkham Horror
Nope. That isn't the thing in Arkham either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Straddllw wrote:

Your gaming group partner is wrong. I think that might have been a rule in Arkham Horror

Fair enough, fixed above. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Straddllw wrote:

But isn't it true in Arkham that items have sometimes "hand" symbols that restrict you to a total of 2 hands on your items?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Straddllw wrote:

But isn't it true in Arkham that items have sometimes "hand" symbols that restrict you to a total of 2 hands on your items?
That's true.
I haven't stated that there are no restrictions at all. Just there's no "one item only" restriction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's alright, I realized I actually have been playing incorrectly. Up until this weekend, I treated the Damage Test as sort of a zero ground when dealing damage. So, if a Monster had health of 4 and damage of 2 and I rolled three successes, I would have taken my successes (3) minus the damage (2) for only one hit against him.

I actually won a game once like this. Now that I actually know how to do combat correctly, I expect to win many more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig O'Connor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:
It's alright, I realized I actually have been playing incorrectly. Up until this weekend, I treated the Damage Test as sort of a zero ground when dealing damage. So, if a Monster had health of 4 and damage of 2 and I rolled three successes, I would have taken my successes (3) minus the damage (2) for only one hit against him.

I actually won a game once like this. Now that I actually know how to do combat correctly, I expect to win many more.

I found this extremely confusing for our first game too, mainly because the rulebook is badly worded when it comes to combat (though the rules reference guide is more clear) and I plain didn't understand why the rulebook said both the investigator and the monster took damage simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gili kleinberger
Israel
Jerusalem
Select State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
[q="Straddllw"]

Does that apply also for the special powers of investigators? For instanse Jim can roll one more dice during combat. Does that mean that he cannot combine his power with a weapon?

Also, if I have a card that gives me a reroll and a +1 to the strenght, can I use only the reroll with a different weapon that gives me more strenght?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
You can use everything and the kitchen sink from whatever number or type of sources.
Except multiple "gain +x" effects on the same test.
You CAN use whatever else the sources of those gain effects give you (rerolls etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Hristov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
haliga wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
[q="Straddllw"]

Does that apply also for the special powers of investigators? For instanse Jim can roll one more dice during combat. Does that mean that he cannot combine his power with a weapon?

Also, if I have a card that gives me a reroll and a +1 to the strenght, can I use only the reroll with a different weapon that gives me more strenght?

Thanks!

You can use only one (usually the biggest) direct bonus from assets plus any additional effects. The stacking should go:
Improvement tokens + biggest asset/spell bonus + any secondary upgrades (extra dice, reroll).
So if you have a gun +3 str, ally with +1 str and reroll and .18 derringer, you can use +3 str only, the reroll from the ally and the "add one on a die during combat" from the derringer. If you have lucky ring, you can use the reroll from there as well, so in this setup you'll have 3 bonus die + 2 rerolls + add 1 to a die value.

Similarly, derringer, +3 str weapon, lucky ring and sword of saint gerome, you use only the +5 str from the sword, the sanity recovery, the derringer ability as above and the reroll from the ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amor Bavian
msg tools
weerax wrote:
haliga wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
[q="Straddllw"]

Thanks!

You can use only one (usually the biggest) direct bonus from assets plus any additional effects. The stacking should go:
Improvement tokens + biggest asset/spell bonus + any secondary upgrades (extra dice, reroll).
So if you have a gun +3 str, ally with +1 str and reroll and .18 derringer, you can use +3 str only, the reroll from the ally and the "add one on a die during combat" from the derringer. If you have lucky ring, you can use the reroll from there as well, so in this setup you'll have 3 bonus die + 2 rerolls + add 1 to a die value.

Similarly, derringer, +3 str weapon, lucky ring and sword of saint gerome, you use only the +5 str from the sword, the sanity recovery, the derringer ability as above and the reroll from the ring.

I get all that but what if you on top of that had a Spell giving +X strength - can you stack that with the sword?

Logically I would say yes (spell + weapon combo just makes sense to me) but I think the rules state otherwise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amorbavian wrote:
weerax wrote:
haliga wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
[q="Straddllw"]

Thanks!

I get all that but what if you on top of that had a Spell giving +X strength - can you stack that with the sword?

Logically I would say yes (spell + weapon combo just makes sense to me) but I think the rules state otherwise?
Only one "gain +X" bonus, no matter the source. Everything else stacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.