Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Twathammer [+] [View All]
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I went to lunch with one of my arch conservative friends today and during the course of conversation he said something about Barack and...

I asked him- what do you call president bush? "President bush or Bush". How about Clinton? "President clinton or Clinton" and Reagan? "President Reagan or Reagan".

I pointed out how he was being disrespectful to President Obama and the office of the president.

He actually picked it up quickly and it was President Obama the rest of the conversation. Who knows if it will carry to elsewhere in his life.

We also had a pleasant conversation about how he's going to vote trump (not against hillary but for trump) and how I'm going to vote for clinton. Then personal gossip and families.

I guess it's because we weren't on the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
whistle
and now the punchline wrote:
"Good thing we didn't mention the 'dirty-dealings'/"fork-tongue" of TRUMP!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
what do you call president bush?

Dubya.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Dubya.

But most anime watchers preferred Subya.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

The guy who turned me off the Republican party and rendered the Bill of Rights meaningless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I look forward to Mac bullying his pals to be equally respectful of "President Trump." Who knows if it will carry to elsewhere in his life.

As I've already said as much in other threads, if trump is elected president, I will refer to him as president trump and then trump* in conversation showing the office of the presidency the respect it merits.

JUNE 5th,
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/22862321#22862321
Quote:
I won't vote for him and at this point, I think he can't win.
But if he does, I'll give my respect to President Trump.

SEPT 22nd,
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/23775061#23775061
Quote:
Now a brief message. I think trump is a terrible candidate. I think he'll plunder the country for his personal wealth like a 3rd world dictator and he'll enable a lot of bad people while he's in office.

That said, IF he is elected I will give him the respect that the office deserves. I will not disparage a sitting president even if he is a narcissistic sociopathic idiot. I can say that now because he's still just a candidate.

*you don't have to say president repeatedly per acceptable usage and style guidelines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
I look forward to Mac bullying his pals to be equally respectful of "President Trump." Who knows if it will carry to elsewhere in his life.

That would be weird. Why would anyone call Hillary Clinton, President Trump?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

She farts a lot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
She farts a lot?
/blush\~*D-R-U-M-P-F*!
gulp ~"WHOM "R" ONLY 'skeevee stoners' & GIRLS that 'ate' Quik-"E"-Stop-'Burrito', Alex!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Is it just me or is Drew sounding more and more like a Trump supporter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrspank wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Is it just me or is Drew sounding more and more like a Trump supporter?
It's just you. He sounds as much of a supporter now as he ever did to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost always just use their last name. I don’t have a feeling of respect for the office. They serve us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
I almost always just use their last name. I don’t have a feeling of respect for the office. They serve us.

Personally, I think calling 'em Obama, Bush, etc is OK. Save the "President X" stuff for more formal occasions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Personally, I think calling 'em Obama, Bush, etc is OK. Save the "President X" stuff for more formal occasions.

I agree. If he had equally called him "Obama" vs "Bush" I wouldn't have raised the issue. It was the "Barack" vs "Bush".

On a related note-- I noticed Clinton was calling Trump "Donald" during the debate and I now think it was intentional to show subtle disrespect and get under his skin.

(Edit: it's also possible it's intentional retaliation for his use of "hillary").

(Edit, Edit... No- she uses it first. Very early in the debate).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

I agree. If he had equally called him "Obama" vs "Bush" I wouldn't have raised the issue. It was the "Barack" vs "Bush".

On a related note-- I noticed Clinton was calling Trump "Donald" during the debate and I now think it was intentional to show subtle disrespect and get under his skin.

He doesn't get that much. He's always "Mr. Trump" to his subordinates in his company, etc. Presumably doesn't apply to Melania.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
President Adams
President Harrison
President Johnson
President Roosevelt
President Bush
President Clinton

Maybe your friend didn't want to confuse his subject matter with the future President Malia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Farnum
msg tools
whac3 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

The guy who turned me off the Republican party and rendered the Bill of Rights meaningless.

What do you think of Obama(I WON'T claim him) ignoring the consitution and separation of power and threatening the Scotus and.. This could take a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knucklesamwich wrote:
whac3 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

What do you think of Obama(I WON'T claim him) ignoring the consitution and separation of power and threatening the Scotus and.. This could take a while.

I'm only going to bother with one so lets go with threatening Scotus.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/219667-gop-...

Quote:
On Monday, Obama said that he was "confident the Supreme Court would uphold the law." He added that it would be "unprecedented" for the high court to rule the individual mandate unconstitutional and said that the court should not act without "judicial restraint" and overturn "a duly constituted and passed law."

Quote:
"Only someone who would browbeat the Court during the State of the Union, and whose administration stifled speech during the health care debate, would try to intimidate the Court while it's deliberating one of the most consequential cases of our time," McConnell said in a statement.

Really? Do you really think the supreme court felt threatened by this? LOL. So basically it's a republican opinion. It's not the supreme court's opinion. And it doesn't even make the fact checking sites radar yet.

So the rest of your points are probably horse shit as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say "Barack" more than "Obama" or "President Obama". I expect that will be the same with Hillary. Hell, all of her campaign materials say "Hillary", she can hardly be upset or offended that people call her that. I drive by her campaign headquarters in San Francisco lately, there are several large signs that say "Hillary".

I think it's mostly about identifiability. George W Bush didn't run as "George" because there are lots of Georges. But Hillary runs as Hillary because "Hillary" is more identifiable than "Clinton". And Barack is on the fence because both of his names are highly unique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I say "Barack" more than "Obama" or "President Obama". I expect that will be the same with Hillary. Hell, all of her campaign materials say "Hillary", she can hardly be upset or offended that people call her that. I drive by her campaign headquarters in San Francisco lately, there are several large signs that say "Hillary".

I think it's mostly about identifiability. George W Bush didn't run as "George" because there are lots of Georges. But Hillary runs as Hillary because "Hillary" is more identifiable than "Clinton". And Barack is on the fence because both of his names are highly unique.

Interesting...

If you met him personally at a fund raiser, what would you call him?

I agree with your point on Hillary. I might be overreacting to people like Bill Cunningham.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
If you met him personally at a fund raiser, what would you call him?

I'd say "President Obama" or "Mr President" or "the President" if I were talking directly to him, or about him, in his presence, because it seems appropriately respectful. But I say "Barack" when I'm talking about him with his close aides or advisors (and they do the same, in my experience).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually I say "Obama" because it is faster than "President Obama". I usually call former president George W. Bush as "Bush 43" to distinguish him from his father. I call Hillary Clinton "Hillary" to distinguish her from former president Bill Clinton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect Obama will be a far better ex president than his predecessor, and that, no matter who wins, I'll miss having him as POTUS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
knucklesamwich wrote:
whac3 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Obama was the man who could have and should have fixed the damage that Bush II did to Constitutional protects-- but not only refused to do so instead made it worse. For example, by executive order, types of torture even Bush II wouldn't allow are permitted. One just has to do more paperwork. The Patriot Act is in full force. According to its own laws, the US gov't can hold anyone it wants to, taken anywhere in the world, and no due process is needed-- so long as the spectre of "national security" can be raised. How convenient!

Wasn't Obama at one point doing Constitutional law? Shouldn't he know better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Obama was the man who could have and should have fixed the damage that Bush II did to Constitutional protects-- but not only refused to do so instead made it worse. For example, by executive order, types of torture even Bush II wouldn't allow are permitted. One just has to do more paperwork. The Patriot Act is in full force. According to its own laws, the US gov't can hold anyone it wants to, taken anywhere in the world, and no due process is needed-- so long as the spectre of "national security" can be raised. How convenient!

Your country is a lot worse, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.