Bright Future» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Tunnel Fever - solo play - normal difficulty - Stalker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been too successfull in this game so far. I had a reason to assume another defeat. That's why I decided to record and share this session to receive some feedback from experienced players to se what I'm doing wrong.
It happened that I won finally. Let me share the session anyway.

SETUP

1. Codes: 3, 3, 1, 1
2. Items: Draw 4 mutant and 2 hnuman items. I keep human items: Flamethrower (6) and Handmade Armor (2)
3. Character selection:
I will need more equipment obviously. Luckily, the market is allready full of human items. I decide to choose Stalker. My plan is to use his ability to avoid fighting Anomalies at the beginning if necessary. I want to spare resources for Outposts - hire Mercenaries or fight there with Mutants to get some more items from 100% human market. Later on I would use Stalker's second ability to fight Anomalies.

TURN 1

Tunnel Phase
I draw Handcar and Caravan.
I'm going to play Caravan with Outbreak effect. Remember, the codes in slots are 3, 3, 1, 1. I don't want Mutation to change any of 1's to 2 or 3.
I skip Tunnel Phase effect. Market is more than OK for me.

Map Phase
Following my plan I move to Outpost on the first Map Card. Lucky draw - there are humans - Incinerators. I hire them and get Chainsaw from the market.
Having enough resources I decide to take risk and move to explore Anomaly on the same Map Card. There is Insect Swarm. I reduce damage with Handmade Armor and survive the encounter. I draw a random code - it's 1 (3 would be the best but 1 is still ok).

I immediatelly send Incinerators to purge affected population (and get rid of two 1s). It costs some population and Infection token moves down two spaces. But two Infection slots are clear now, two 3's remain.

Infection Phase
Outbeak: I draw 1 luckily.

End of turn
Code slots are 3, 1, 0, 0. Population is reduced by 1.

TURN 2

Tunnel Phase
Trade Routes and Freelancer.
I play Freelancer. (I need more items and Mercenaries) I meet Tramps and hire them. I'm getting Heavy Shield at the same time.

Map Phase
I explore more tunnels (draw new map card) and with confidence I encouter another Anomaly. Subterranean Spiders. With Flamethrower and Heavy Shield I survive. More over I choose to stay, take double damage and save Gigamutant from Spiders. He joins me as Mercenary. (special effect of Anomaly)
Killing Spiders I got code 1.

Infection Phase
Bad news - new population is contaminated (3). I can do nothing about it.

End of turn
Code slots are 3, 3, 1, 0. Population is reduced by 2.

TURN 3

Tunnel Phase
Trade Routes and Freelancer. Again !!!
Having only 6 resources I play Trade Routes this time. I explore Abandoned Farm and find Helmet.
But wait - there is some Anomaly at the Farm. Walking Death threatening the child! Flamethrower and Chainsaw do the job. I gain another 1 code and the child is save - for now.

Map Phase
I keep exploring tunnels. Settlement No.2 is in my way inhabited by Canibal Cult. Seeing a child with me, they had generous offer for me. They will take care of the child and even more, they pay me 12 bucks. How could I refuse?!
In return I promissed to help them out with the Anomaly in neighborhood. There were Mutated Thorns. I faced them with my Heavy Shield and got code 3.

Infection Phase
Another Contamination threatens the population. I draw 1. Luckily I can sent Tramps to warn people and contamination is prevented.

End of turn
Code slots are 3, 3, 1, 0. Population is reduced by 2.

TURN 4

Tunnel Phase
Secret Passage and Trade Routes (Trade Routes came three times in row, this is weak point in solo game)
I play Secret Passage. I don't want more Contamination.
I encounter Underdogs and hire them.

Map Phase
I encouter another Outpost and hire Expedition.
I need to explore tunnels and move to encounter new Anomaly - Radiotrophic Fungi. I face them successfully with my equipment and get code 2.

Before Mutation strikes I send hired Underdogs to destroy infected people and get rid of two 3s. (slots are 1, 0, 0, 0 now) It costs 2 Population of course. But it's for sake of remaining.

Infection Phase
The disease mutates from 1 to 2.

End of turn
Code slots are 2, 0, 0, 0. We stopped extinction of population finally.

TURN 5

Tunnel Phase
Patrol Schedules and Secret Passage (Again! What about the choice to set aside played Tunnel Cards for next turn is solo play?)
I play Patrol Schedules with Outbreak which I can prevent with my Mercenaries.
All Outposts were friendly upto now. No I'm going to face hostile places. But I'm well equipped and Creeper is no threat.

Map Phase
Let's keep exploring.
It looks like I can have some reprieve. It's Settlement. Oh, good, No.4. It's Haven. I can get resources, I can trade items here.
But all I need is to meet Microbiologist and give him the right code sample.

Infection is cleansed. Remaining Population: 3.
Job done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Do
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
I am intimately familiar with the game rules having played dozens upon dozens of sessions with varying number of players since the game arrived on my doorstep.

I can say your session report is very very good. I can't see you doing anything wrong in it. From what you've written, it sounds like you had a very good game

The game is supposed to be VERY HARD. Brutal almost. Make sure you use the 'Handcar' tunnel card often when it comes up to make the most of the additional exploration opportunities to find the Microbiologist early. It is possible to skip several map cards with this card!

I don't use the revised rule where you remove certain map cards with fewer players. I like the tough difficulty of the game playing with ALL the map cards >

The designer has kindly sent me a prototype V.2 Map Cards which are now larger Square Tiles which helps in placing the layout of the game. I have a few more sessions to play before I provide feedback to the designer but I can safely say the new tiles alleviates some the of harsh difficulty of the game but not make it too easy.

I will share my thoughts with you if you are interested.

I love your session reports by the way, very good read
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks firts of all.
The Gaslight wrote:

I don't use the revised rule where you remove certain map cards with fewer players. I like the tough difficulty of the game playing with ALL the map cards >

You must be masochist

The Gaslight wrote:

The designer has kindly sent me a prototype V.2 Map Cards which are now larger Square Tiles which helps in placing the layout of the game. I have a few more sessions to play before I provide feedback to the designer but I can safely say the new tiles alleviates some the of harsh difficulty of the game but not make it too easy.

I will share my thoughts with you if you are interested.

I'm definitely interested.
There will be some changes in design? Can't se any info on designer's website.

The Gaslight wrote:
I love your session reports by the way, very good read

I'm so glad you enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Do
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
The new prototype map cards are SQUARE TILES instead of playing cards size, which allow for them to be placed horizontally as well as vertically. This opens up the possibility for different map layouts.

I can't upload photos as I haven't got permission from the designer, but believe me it does change the game slightly for the better.

There are also a few more smaller changes and tweaks. It's a prototype so it wouldn't be on the games website.

In fact I've just returned from a three player game of Bright Future prototype and its looking very positive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vermin Games
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Dear Son Do,
Thank you!
You have my permission to post photos in the thread, but please do not upload them in the main page of the game (someone may think these are final elements of the game and feel disappointed they aren't in the box).

I really thank you for the kind words, even though I apologize I still haven't introduced all the updates I have in mind (A Place in the Sun takes quite a bit of my time lately).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.