BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for 2 player game with girlfriend rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
henk henkerson
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi Guys,

Since a few years me (and a mate) are fully into Board and card games. Our favorite games are Splendor, Alchemists and Dead of Winter.

Unfortunately my gf isn't into card/board game AT ALL, which is a huge bummer for me obviously. Then i remembered something that the owner of the local gamestore told me: 'there are no people who are not into board- and/or cardgames, there are only people who don't own the right games).

So i started thinking: What does she like? She likes to puzzle and she likes 'simple' games that don't take up too much time. (so Alchemists and Dead of Winter or a total no-go for her).

She really enjoys Splendor, but that's basically it for now.

My question for you guys: Do you have any tips regarding any new Board- and/or card games for us to play? I'm looking to buy a copy of Lost Cities (Card game), but it's hard to find one in our country (all sold out ).

Thanks in advance,
Nick

PS: Before i forget, she really enjoyed Pandemic as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sawler
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Carcassonne. It's pretty easy to find and has enough puzzle-like elements to it. If she likes Slendor, Machi Koro might be a nice fit too. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henk henkerson
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thanks for you reply

I own both of them already. For unknown reasons she doesn't really like Carcassone (and i don't as well to be honest) and we both don't like Machi Koro. Biggest dissapointment in my boardgame life so far.

We were totally hyped by this game untill we started playing. After 3/4 games you know all the best combinations. After that it's just as simple as building these combinations and then hope for luck to come your way.

BTW: Sorry for the poor English, it's not my native language.blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik J
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a lot of info here about what she might like (Sci fi? Horror? Zombies? Euro farmstead?), but using Pandemic as a starting point since my GF and I really like co-op games too:

Huge hits for us have been Sentinels of the Multiverse and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. Both are co-op, and both have deckbuilder elements. We enjoy the "engine" building that both employ -- I do this, which then leads to this, which feeds back on itself, letting me do more of this... They also both have the shared experience of winning or losing together. I'm not sure which she likes better; she asks to play one or the other pretty regularly.

That also leads to another deckbuilder that is competitive but not confrontational (unless you go heavily into the Intrigue expansion), and that is Dominion.

She also likes games that employ a little bit of luck to offset any advantage that I might have with more gaming experience, thus enabling her to crush me despite my best efforts (I'm looking at you, Tiny Epic Galaxies). Galaxies is also the quickest playing of all of the above and has neat little spaceship meeples, so it has some sex appeal to get people to the table, and it comes in a very un-intimidating little box.

I'm pretty lucky though, as she is down to play anything I pull off the shelf, from King of Tokyo to Caverna to Gloom to Dungeon (yeah, the old WoTC one for kids) to Axis & Allies. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife also is not that much into board games but likes puzzles, some of our games that she likes a lot are Patchwork, Fleet and Flip City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If she likes puzzles, does that include Tetris? You might want to check out Patchwork. It's quickly turned into my wife's and my go-to game when we're too tired for a full game but don't just want to watch Netflix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife sounds similar.

She likes Splendor and also likes:

Patchwork
Karuba
Jaipur

With karuba and patchwork being her favourites.

Karuba is a puzzly sort of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
Looks to me that you could use some Dark Dealings.

Although it's a card game, it's mostly a three-part game in which you never really feel like you're playing a card game, because you don't have a hand of cards, you don't combo, and so on.

What you do, though, is that you draft heroes in the first phase, which you bid with to acquire defense cards in the second phase. Defense cards that you use to slay your heroes in the third phase.

Dark Dealings is a game that plays quite fast, and that is very puzzly, since you don't want to draft difficult heroes because you will then have to defeat them. But you don't want to draft easy heroes either, because you won't have much bidding power if you do.

In the third phase, you have to remember in what order you used your heroes, and what you have to save in order to slay them.

Each hero has its own special weakness and powers. It's a fun game, where you cannot really screw the other, and where you usually are responsible for your own loss.

In the end, the last standing player wins.

It's been a hit with my girlfriend. She also likes Ascension: Deckbuilding Game and Mystic Vale if this can help you. It's a surprisingly deep game for such a little thing. Reminded me of Biblios (which I disliked)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
More information on the themes she likes, as well as the lengths and mechanics, could help.

My girlfriend has enjoyed...

Takenoko - Cute panda. Simple gameplay.
Red November - Drunken gnomes on a sinking submarine. Pandemic-like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also experienced that COOP-games are often more fun to play as a couple, than competetive games. The bummer is that many of them are rather complex/ require good preparation from your side.

What she likes:
Mice & Mystics(coop & cute )
BANG! Dice Game (easy, quick, but no 2player)
Codenames (same as BANG!)
(Zombicide (easy but the theme is not for everyone))

What I like:
LOTR LCG (you can build an easy beginner deck without many combos, but still maybe to complex)
Eldritch Horror (too long)
Zombicide (easy but the theme is not for everyone)

What we have to try:

The 7th continent ( I have very high hopes for this one )
Masmorra (in coop mode, simple mechanics and looks very fun)
TIME Stories (probably too long)
Sword & Sorcery (probably too complex, but she likes D&D, so maybe...)
Gloomhaven (same as S&S)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Pinheiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
mb
My girlfriend is like yours too, but my problem is make her trying any game :\
For a cardgame, I would go with Jaipur or 7 Wonders Duell, the only complain of my girlfriend about Jaipur is the lack of obvious "in your face" and lack more strategy, that is why I bought 7 Wonders Duel, but making her try the game, is another story XD

Like everyone else mentioned, if she like puzzles, Patchwork may be an option.

Sometimes you have to go with the theme, when I told to my girlfriend, about thee new Harry Potter game, she wanted it more than me XD

PS: She enjoyd pandemic? Maybe Ghost Stories? If you wanted simpler, Forbidden Island or Desert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A familiar problem - I'm still trying to find the golden game that gets my girlfriend into the hobby too.

If you think Lost Cities would be good and you're having trouble finding it you might want to look at Morels.

You might also find this helpful: What Couples Have Been Playing - September 2016

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Langley Rock
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks from above
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest you have a look at Pandemic: The Cure (better than the regular IMO), and Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small.

Both big hits with my non-gamer wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Courtney Heyse
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Dead Man's Draw as well. It's a quick, 15 min game that can scale for complexity. Quick clean up and set up too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bolton
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also try https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/16992/tsuro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsuro
Patchwork
Mr. Jack Pocket
7 Wonders Duel
Hive Pocket

Just a few to check out that I think fit your criteria somewhat.

Keep in mind you may never get your SO into the hobby, so find some friends who will play with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthoni Vézina
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend 7 wonders duel. It's easy to teach, takes 20-30 min. to play and offers good strategy and decision making. It's one of the games I play the most with my girlfriend.

Otherwise, I would recommend patchwork. It gives a good "puzzle" feel and is really fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of any 2player games that come with a girlfriend. Or did I read that wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
The_G0od_12 wrote:
I would recommend 7 wonders duel. It's easy to teach, takes 20-30 min. to play and offers good strategy and decision making. It's one of the games I play the most with my girlfriend.

Funnily enough, I'm all the opposite. I find it too simple, with no real decision and no strategy, and don't play it at all (but can't sell/trade it because gift. Ugh.)

Tastes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Debenedetto
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
My wife doesn't play board/card games much with me, but here are a few excellent games she will play every 2 months or so.

-Patchwork
-7 Wonders: Duel
-Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
-Dig Down Dwarf
-Tides of Time

I would also like to add that your girlfriend doesn't have to play with you. If she isn't finding gaming fun then you really shouldn't make her play with you. However, if she wants to play with you but hasn't found the right games then that is different.
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan parker
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincs England
flag msg tools
badge
Rolling Sixes all the way!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic, each player playing 2 roles, great 2p game the wife and I raelly enjoy.

and.... if that goes well, do the same with Pandemic Legacy ! That's what we've done anyway, works for us and we both favour very different games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Lost Cities, I made my own copy once with two decks of cards by marking one of the suits with a sharpie and combining it to make a 5 suit deck (Hearts, Clubs, Spades, Diamonds, and Spades with a blue marker outline on them).

It's not as cool as having the real deal, but its good if you aren't sure you will like it or if you can't find it.

Otherwise, I would recommend Arboretum if you can find that. It is similar to Lost Cities, however it is a little more complicated.

Sounds to me like your girlfriend might like games, but just not complex ones. This is fine and common. I love a complicated game that rewards my understanding of it, but some people would prefer a lighter, simpler fare to play without too much pressure. This is why UNO and other simple games are so well-liked.

I recommend finding games that you think she will like, that you will like. Don't try to force her to like something she might not. If you are going to get her to complicated games, it would be through a chain of similar games she likes. If she likes Splendor, perhaps you can find deeper games that have similarities to Splendor. She might build onto her knowledge of Splendor in order to get to complex games and then on to other complex games. Gateway games do this in a similar way.

I started by liking 7 Wonders, and that grew into more civilization-type games, which turned toward economic games. Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthoni Vézina
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
The_G0od_12 wrote:

Funnily enough, I'm all the opposite. I find it too simple, with no real decision and no strategy, and don't play it at all (but can't sell/trade it because gift. Ugh.)

Tastes

Haha well, it's actually what I like about it. Even if it's simple (and it is really simple) you have to adapt your choices depending on your wonders, the ressources that you and your opponent have and the way you want to win (military, science or points).

The game offers enough strategy for how easy it is. I think it's the perfect balance for a 20-30 min game.

But as you said, there's no accounting for tastes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skeffington wrote:
I also experienced that COOP-games are often more fun to play as a couple, than competetive games. The bummer is that many of them are rather complex/ require good preparation from your side.

What she likes:
Mice & Mystics(coop & cute )
BANG! Dice Game (easy, quick, but no 2player)
Codenames (same as BANG!)
(Zombicide (easy but the theme is not for everyone))

What I like:
LOTR LCG (you can build an easy beginner deck without many combos, but still maybe to complex)
Eldritch Horror (too long)
Zombicide (easy but the theme is not for everyone)

What we have to try:

The 7th continent ( I have very high hopes for this one )
Masmorra (in coop mode, simple mechanics and looks very fun)
TIME Stories (probably too long)
Sword & Sorcery (probably too complex, but she likes D&D, so maybe...)
Gloomhaven (same as S&S)

There is a two-player variant included in the rules for Codenames, but it definitely shines at 6-8. Less and there isn't enough discussion, more and it starts getting crowded around the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miguel guerin
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My GF and I like co-ops mainly because we play as a team together.

What we have:
Forbidden desert
Castle Panic (The wizard tower)
Pandemic
Flash Point:Fire Rescue
Sentinels of the multiverse
Elder Sign (Gates of Arkham)
Ghost Stories
Dead of Winter
Zombicide: Black Plague

What she loves:
Pandemic (I like Flash Point more but they are basically the same design but I wouldn't say no to Pandemic either)
Dead of Winter (I also love it)
Zombicide (I love it but can take hours to go through, kind of RPG kill zombie zone)

What she likes and/or in the mood
Ghost Stories (Same on the mood for it but I do no dislike it, though to beat full co-op, some die rolling involve)
Elder Sign (I love this game myself, luck of dies big factor on this game)
Castle Panic (This one I rather not play it unless I want a change, tower defense game)
Sentinels of the Multiverse (I guess we are not into card decks, but is there for a change, play as super heroes trying to defeat a villain)

What she rather not to play unless she wants a change:

Forbidden Desert (Same as her, need a change or to get new people into co op boardgames, a similar taste to pandemic but less complicated)
Flash Point:Fire Rescue (I love this game, but she rather play Pandemic)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.