Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to know if I should own this if I have the old edition and what am I missing out by playing the old edition and not this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes, but maybe you just try online at http://www.boardgaming-online.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Killian
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is different in the new edition? Basically, a bunch of cards you never gave a second thought to in the first edition are now worth buying, and a couple of tweaks were made to the military side that makes that aspect of the game a little less exclusively decisive. The form factor has gone from spartan to pleasantly humdrum.
Is the new edition better than the old one? Yes.
Is the new edition so much better than the old one that the old one is now worthless? No.
Have I, personally, felt like it's worth it to get the new edition? No.
Why is that? Because I only play TTA face to face once or twice a year.
If I played TTA face to face, say, six or seven times a year with a regular group, would I upgrade? Yes, probably, assuming I had the money.
Would getting the new version be my first priority assuming I had the money, vis-a-vis the other things on my wish list? No.
If I had the choice between the new or the old edition, would I play the new edition exclusively? Yes.
Will I get the app version for iOS when it comes out? Almost certainly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. 100%

1st edition is obsolete now. 2nd edition is a much more polished game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudine Finlay
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
He's eating a Dungeon Lord imp...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on how often you play (or will play) the game. If you plan on playing it frequently, I'd get the new version. If not, you are fine with the old version. It's basically the same game with some card updates and a couple of rules changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new version is widely reviewed superior. So if you're going to own one, get the new edition.

But along the lines of what Claudine said, think about how often you'll play a physical copy of this game. It is my all-time favorite. I've played it 300ish times (old and new versions combined). Of those plays, only about 7 of them have been with my physical copy. All the rest have come from boardgaming-online.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a section in the manual that talks about what is different.

Can download pdf manual with search on Google.

They talk about the changes here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If upgrading to the new version does not take away from your ability to buy other games you wish to own AND you still play TtA at least every now and then, I'd say it's worth it. This new version is a vast improvement over the other one.

If you are deciding between TtA: New Story and something completely new, without the possibility to get both, it might be wiser to get the new game instead. Especially if it's Scythe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Aurèle
msg tools
I guess it depends on your playing group. The new edition is ranked better and it's easy to understand why. The military has been dampened and the decision making lowered. I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way. If you have a casual group or if you intend on introducing the game to new players, the new edition is definately better. However, by taking away sacrifices and by allowing to copy tactic cards, it took away many decisions and created a kind race for the bottom effect. Now, I am sure many will disagree with me by saying things like "there is less chance in the new version because you can copy tactics" to which I only beg to differ. The importance of drawing a good tactic card, especially in age 2, was paramount to one success and many strategies could be used to maximize one's odds of doing so.
Moreover, the yellow cards have been boosted creating less scarcity in the game and, once again, lowering the importance of each decision.
Nonetheless, I still own and play both versions. It just depends with who I'm playing.
I hope it helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grappa1 wrote:
Now, I am sure many will disagree with me by saying things like "there is less chance in the new version because you can copy tactics" to which I only beg to differ. The importance of drawing a good tactic card, especially in age 2, was paramount to one success and many strategies could be used to maximize one's odds of doing so.

Having played mainly 2-player games, after around 100 of them I've maybe seen a tactic being copied 4-5 times at most. The way you play military is by denying your opponent the military advancements, essentially making a lot of tactics useless (Taking both the age 2 and 3 infantry in 2-player is a great tactical move)

It is a great improvement that you can't sacrifice units. The new leader cards and wonders are a lot better/balanced. I love that you check corruption at the beginning of your end step, making it easier to plan your turn.

Definitely get the 2nd edition and keep the 1st edition only for nostalgic reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Aurèle
msg tools
You kinda prove my point. This is a version where there is less scarcity and wonders and leaders have been boosted or dampened in such a was as to lower the gap between bad decisions and/or bad stratagies and better ones. Once again, I am not saying it's a bad game, I am merely saying it has evolved into a more casual one.

For the record, I have played several hundred games of both versions so I am not merely stating my mind after a couple of games.

That being said, feel free to buy whatever version you like. I just thought it was worth noting that if you are after more competitive play, the older version is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grappa1 wrote:
You kinda prove my point. This is a version where there is less scarcity and wonders and leaders have been boosted or dampened in such a was as to lower the gap between bad decisions and/or bad stratagies and better ones. Once again, I am not saying it's a bad game, I am merely saying it has evolved into a more casual one.

For the record, I have played several hundred games of both versions so I am not merely stating my mind after a couple of games.

That being said, feel free to buy whatever version you like. I just thought it was worth noting that if you are after more competitive play, the older version is better.

I feel that the new version's changes made it a much better competitive game. Wars are now actually declareable even without a massive strength lead, which was required in the old version and therefore they were rarely declared among equally skilled players. And who thought that the aggressions like 12 vs 10 strength or something even crazier like 24 vs 23 strength were making sense? If the opponent did not have the def card he would either have to sacrifice a unit or let the aggression resolve (which often is way worse than saccing a unit). All because of a few percent difference in total strength.

The fact that the number of playable leaders and wonders is higher does not make the game simpler. It merely makes it less repetitive, which is a good thing. I mean if somebody's edge over the opposition in the old version was the knowledge to not pick Joan or Hammurabi whereas the opponents picked them, that doesn't seem a very competitive match in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played maybe 7-800 games with the old game, and maybe 200 with the new. The new version is a great game, and makes some really good changes - it also makes some really bad ones.

The new game is much better for casual play, and miles better to teach new players with - it's much more forgiving.

For my money, if you have to pick one or other, the old game is much better. When I set up online games with the choice of either, I always pick old.

I own the old game, although I've only played maybe 40 of those games on it. I might consider getting rid of that because I mostly play online - I have no interest in getting the new game though - if I want to keep a physical copy I'll keep the old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Metelo
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I will be in the minority.

After playing the new version I am a bit disappointed. Maybe the fact that I was by far more experienced than my opponents in all the games made me feel the way I feel now. I simply did not like the new experience.

Let me get this out of the way: The art and design details are far, really far, better than my Eagle games copy.

That said, the tone down in the military made things look pretty lame. I simply had a single spear man the whole game, and took a hit on all the attacks and even though I lost about 50 points to wars/raids, I was still ahead of my opponents by 40 points. Basically, the down size was not enough to justify the time spent growing my military to match my opponents. In the old game, if that happened, I would be crushed to last place.

The shared tactics are an interesting idea, but they fell flat. Each player went a different path with their upgrades, so they never shared their tactics, and I simply did not care.

The changes to consumption/corruption do seems to make the game too easy, as you just become free to stock a pile resources with virtually no consequence. Even though I spent a full turn picking up my 4th wonder, I did not pay any corruption, while in the old game, that would have been an issue (unless I picked up the right colonies).

Maybe it was a distribution or my opponents, but the events in the new deck did feel a lot more friendly to us. We simply got so much free stuff that I was able to finish my first wonder on round 2 without much effort. I concede that this may be related to my opponents not seeding many events into the deck.

The leader changes were interesting, but felt like exchanging "six" for "half-a-dozen". Small differences, but nothing major.

in the end, it seems that the game was made a lot easier (facilitates new players, which will be still creamed by experienced players), with military deficits not worth to recover, and a lot easier to build far more powerful (leaderless) culture engines. I will stick to the old edition for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.