Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Dominion Card Picker has 1st editions & Update Packs; should it also include 2nd editions?
My Dominion Card Randomizer includes all the first editions, promotional cards, and now the Update Packs. Technically, this includes every card in the game. …but if, for example, the dog ate your 1e base game, and you used the timely misfortune as an excuse to just get the 2e base game, then when one of the 7 "dumped" cards, such as Adventurer, comes up, you'd have to "veto" it by clicking on it. So, at the good suggestion of Oskar 10101, I have created this poll to see what people would prefer.
Which combination of sets should the randomizer include?
1st edition + update pack (2nd edition owners must veto Adventurer, Chancellor, Feast, Spy, Thief, and Woodcutter if they come up) — This is how it is currently; it includes all the cards, but favors us 8-year Dominion collectors.
1st edition + update pack + 2nd edition (1st edition owners must exclude 2nd edition; owners of both editions would have to veto duplicate cards)
1st edition + update pack + 2nd edition + additional programming to automatically filter duplicate card names for owners of both editions (1st edition owners must still exclude 2nd edition)
      75 answers
Poll created by zefquaavius

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why you'd get duplicates. Can't owners of both editions just select 1. Edition + upgrade pack and leave second edition unselected.

Alternatively, implement legacy cards, new cards and common cards as the different options, if leaving something unselected bothers the completionists

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
I don't see why you'd get duplicates. Can't owners of both editions just select 1. Edition + upgrade pack and leave second edition unselected.

Alternatively, implement legacy cards, new cards and common cards as the different options, if leaving something unselected bothers the completionists

Well, if you'll forgive my using first initials for illustrative purposes, here's the current setup on the randomizer, which includes all the cards, and works for both 1e owners and 2e owners (as you can see by clicking the links):
Dominion 1e: ABCCCCFFGLLMMMMMRSSTTVWWW
Dominion UP: +ABHMPSV

If you have Dominion 2e, you simply veto the out-of-print cards, like this:
Axed in 2e: - - - - - -

This works well, especially if you have 1st edition or both editions. …but I think it works pretty well for the 2nd-edition-only scenario, too.

If I add the 2nd edition boxes as independent sets to the data, then we'd have this:
Dominion 2e: BC CC FGLLMMMMMRS T VW W+ABHMPSV

Owners of only 1e would want to exclude 2e; owners of only 2e would want to exclude 1e and the Update Pack. Owners of both 1e and 2e would only ever get 1 Adventurer, but the randomization could "draw" Bureaucrats from both the 1e and 2e boxes. That's where your duplicates come in. Having to describe it, it's starting to sound like an ugly option.

This is where the third option comes in: Creating new code to filter duplicates, which also complicates things. That first option is looking better all the time, and not just because it requires no work from where it is now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But couldnt an owner of both editions just select (only) 1st edition+ upgrade pack, and get functionally the same result without the fancy filtering code?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
But couldnt an owner of both editions just select (only) 1st edition+ upgrade pack, and get functionally the same result without the fancy filtering code?
Yes, absolutely! It works just fine the way it is (that's the first option), but I was curious about people's preferences and biases going forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll admit that I haven't used your program before, but I'm looking at it now.

Couldn't you just separate the base set into 3 pieces? Have the "core" cards that are in both 1st and 2nd edition and then have the others in their respective version. You could call them "Base Set (1st & 2nd Edition)", "1st Edition (retired)", and "2nd Edition (new)" or something along those lines. That way if they populate it's easy to reject in either direction.

If I gather what you're doing you won't have to do any additional programming to ignore duplicates, which I take means pulling a card from 1st edition and then pulling the same card from the 2nd edition. There won't be any duplicates, just a few new set names, which should be easier programming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
supermarino wrote:
I'll admit that I haven't used your program before, but I'm looking at it now.

Couldn't you just separate the base set into 3 pieces? Have the "core" cards that are in both 1st and 2nd edition and then have the others in their respective version. You could call them "Base Set (1st & 2nd Edition)", "1st Edition (retired)", and "2nd Edition (new)" or something along those lines. That way if they populate it's easy to reject in either direction.

If I gather what you're doing you won't have to do any additional programming to ignore duplicates, which I take means pulling a card from 1st edition and then pulling the same card from the 2nd edition. There won't be any duplicates, just a few new set names, which should be easier programming.

An interesting idea. Certainly I could do this, and I will consider it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.