Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, in previous Arkham Files titles, there was explicit mention in the manual about how items could only be used on/by the investigator carrying the item (unless explicitly stated otherwise on the card), but I cannot seem to find a similar sentiment in the MoM 2nd Edition rules. Does this rule still hold?

For example, the Lucky Cigarette Case merely says "Once per round, you may convert an (magnifying glass) to a (elder sign)". A friend recently argued that since it doesn't say anything in the manual or on the card, it could be used to convert a die during another investigator's test (tapping the card, since it can only be used once per round).

Knowing the series, that seems wrong but I wanted to get a second opinion. Can anyone point me to a proper ruling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Twitch_City wrote:
So, in previous Arkham Files titles, there was explicit mention in the manual about how items could only be used on/by the investigator carrying the item (unless explicitly stated otherwise on the card), but I cannot seem to find a similar sentiment in the MoM 2nd Edition rules. Does this rule still hold?

For example, the Lucky Cigarette Case merely says "Once per round, you may convert an (magnifying glass) to a (elder sign)". A friend recently argued that since it doesn't say anything in the manual or on the card, it could be used to convert a die during another investigator's test (tapping the card, since it can only be used once per round).

Knowing the series, that seems wrong but I wanted to get a second opinion. Can anyone point me to a proper ruling?

Well, if it says YOU, I would assume that it's only whomever drew the card who can use it......just a guess, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm of that same mindset. The keyword is "You". It would only be valid for your tests, not someone else's... but to be fair, with how explicit FFG rules tend to be, I can see the argument from your friend's point of view. So this is another one that may need official word as far as how it should be interpreted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also keep in mind that (as far as I've seen) there is no instance in the game where you may do anything except during your turn. I would think that if you could act out of turn that would certainly be very clearly indicated.

Either way an official answer absolutely would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh-FZRH6EBIWhhHw5v645Kg
badge
Only In It For The Chuckles!
mbmbmbmbmb
And it would make the trade action rather redundant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure that in order to use an item you must have it in your possession.

There are unique items that an investigator can ONLY examine in the app if it is in their possession.

I would find it hard to believe that this is the exception to the rule and there would be no reason to even have the "trade" action in the game if all items could be used by anyone.

There is also precedent for effects that let you convert another player's die rolls: see Sister Mary's ability. I believe even on her ability it says "another investigator" which is code for "anyone BUT you."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In all FFG games that I own, "you" is defined in the rules somewhere as the player, or the currently controlled (thing), so I would assume that it's the same here.

"You" must refer to the investigator who is taking his or her turn (it's in the Golden Rules section, under "investigators"). So if an action could be taken out of turn, it would be "interrupt" or clearly marked in another way.

I would assume!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
I would find it hard to believe that this is the exception to the rule and there would be no reason to even have the "trade" action in the game if all items could be used by anyone.

Oh, I was never implying that all items could be used by anyone - just the Lucky Cigarette Case and Lucky Rabbit's Foot, since they both have this slightly ambiguous wording of "Once per round" (well, the other player is taking their turn during the round), "you may" (so I'll just change that dice for you).

I agree with the sentiments of the thread though, that it seems gamey and not properly thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the wording "Once per round..." is there to imply that the item can be used at any point in any part of the round, for example : during your action phase, during any combat or during any check, that can happen outside of your own turn but still during the current round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wrong One wrote:
I think that the wording "Once per round..." is there to imply that the item can be used at any point in any part of the round, for example : during your action phase, during any combat or during any check, that can happen outside of your own turn but still during the current round.

This is the way we read it as well. I'm still pretty certain that the effect can only be used by the player who has the item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's almost certain the effect can only be used to reroll your own tests. They just neglected to mention that part in the rules, as it seems so obvious.

The once per round text is needed to allow you to use it in the Mythos Phase, so that text should not be used to try to justify it being used by other Investigators.

I think the common sense is that if there were an item that could affect other investigators' rolls, it would at least have a limitation of 'within range'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
My interpretation of "once per round" is to prevent anyone thinking that they can attack, and maybe use the item to gain a success, then using a trade as their second action, pass the item to another player, so that they can use it...and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.