Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: newest, available, co-op fantasy or sci-fi-themed games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
What are the very latest available games playing 1-4, co-op with a fantasy or sci-fi theme, released in the past 12 months or so?

Please don't post recs for games that are 'coming soon' or 'about to be released.'

I'm looking for a list of games that are available right now for purchase which have been commercially released recently.

No need to recommend Terraforming Mars as I know about that one and it will be released in 2 days. Thanks!

EDIT FOR CLARITY: looking for recently-released games (in past 12 months) regardless of whatever release date they carry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first that comes to my mind is Gloomhaven.
There's also Martians: A Story of Civilization that has competitive/semi-cooperative/cooperative variants.

Terraforming Mars looks awesome too but is not coop so I don't think anybody was going to recommend it anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drugo81 wrote:
There's also Martians: A Story of Civilization that has competitive/semi-cooperative/cooperative variants.

Terraforming Mars looks awesome too but is not coop so I don't think anybody was going to recommend it anyway...

I don't think either of these are commercially released yet?

Zombicide: Black Plague was released right at the tail end of 2015 and has a whole bunch of expansions coming out this year (I highly recommend getting it with at least Zombicide: Wulfsburg).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
threepointthed wrote:
I don't think either of these are commercially released yet?

I thought the OP was asking for game with a 2016 release date, but yeah now I noticed the "latest available"...my bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drugo81 wrote:
Not to be rude, but it seems like you didn't read my post. This is the type of recommendation that I'm trying to avoid getting which is why I said commercially available right now.

Again: I'm interested in recommendations of recent games commercially available right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why I apologized in my previous post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drugo81 wrote:
That's why I apologized in my previous post.
yep see it now but wasn't there when I wrote back...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms: Colony Wars* and the earlier Star Realms both have a co-op mode included in one of the expansions (but you can find the rules online). I've not tried it co-op or solo though and I'd guess it wouldn't be worth buying just for co-op or solo play.

* BGG claims it was released in 2015, but it wan't widely available until 2016.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2sherman2 wrote:

lol no problem! Salvation Road seems to be a cool 1-4 co-op, even though the theme is more post apocalyptic than sci-fi. It was released last month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drugo81 wrote:
2sherman2 wrote:

lol no problem! Salvation Road seems to be a cool 1-4 co-op, even though the theme is more post apocalyptic than sci-fi. It was released last month.
Yes, thank you! This is the sort of recommendation I'm after--I've never heard of this game and it looks right up my alley. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Apparently not many 2016 published games like this are available quite yet. Why do you ask?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quill65 wrote:
Apparently not many 2016 published games like this are available quite yet. Why do you ask?
Apparently putting the date in my post threw off this thread. I have edited for clarity.

I'm just trying to find out about games released in the past year or so that I might not have heard about and which fall into the category of fantasy/sci fi/coop. I don't care what specific date they carry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
2sherman2 wrote:
quill65 wrote:
Apparently putting the date in my post threw off this thread. I have edited for clarity.

I'm just trying to find out about games released in the past year or so that I might not have heard about and which fall into the category of fantasy/sci fi/coop. I don't care what specific date they carry.

OK, then be sure to check out Space Cadets: Away Missions. I'm more of a euro gamer, but this game is more puzzly than many of its ilk and has a lot of interesting decisions to make.

Also, look at The Big Book of Madness, a deck builder coop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fireteam Zero is horror/ weird World War 2. Not strictly Sci-Fi or Fantasy, but borderline.

Defenders of the Last Stand, another post apoc game based on the Defenders of the Realm game mechanics.

Runebound (Third Edition), I think this is borderline 12 months.

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game, which is unfortunately discontinued.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:

Wow, I had no idea! I thought this was a popular game....
EDIT: I'm seeing it on Amazon right now though--

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
Jorune wrote:

Wow, I had no idea! I thought this was a popular game....
EDIT: I'm seeing it on Amazon right now though--

It is published by FFG, and FFG recently lost the Warhammer licence, so no more WH Quest reprints or expansions coming, unless Games Workshop start putting them out on their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you count the Lovecraftian mythos as sci-fi or fantasy, then Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu fits the bill perfectly. The box says 2-4 players but you can easily play multiple investigators or one with extra actions, and it came out like a week ago or something. Plus it's a great game IMO!

Hope this helps. googoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistfall - another one that BGG says was released in 2016, but I think was closer to 2016. I haven't played it yet (Just got a copy last weekend), but looking forward to it. This one also has some expansion content coming imminently.

Shadowrun: Crossfire - One that I just recently discovered. Lots of fun, though most of my plays thus far have been solo, so I can't comment too much on how well it works with a group. It's also not *brand new* but hopefully is in keeping with what you're looking for.

Finally, I'll risk a little ire and put this one out there:
Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift - Judging by the KS page, the game is shipping/has shipped just recently, so it may be out, but not sure.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
(avoid Mistfall like the plague).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Haggstrom
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's Star Trek Panic, which is a re-skin of Castle Panic. It adds a bit more complexity and challenge than the original. I got to try it out at Templecon and it was a good time. I'm thinking of picking up a copy for myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
(avoid Mistfall like the plague).
Please do elaborate. I've looked at it and passed on it (too much writing on the cards) but then I end up looking again... and passing again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Galaxy Defenders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Albion's Legacy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How loose/strict in terms of fantasy or sci-fi?
Horror is often bucketed with fantasy or sci-fi.
There's Tolkien-esque fantasy, but there's also mythological fantasy, modern fantasy, fairies, anthropomorphized animals, etc.

The Guardians: Explore: Decent deck builder
Fantasy/sci-fi theme: kids defending town from orcs, zombies, warlocks, rogue roombas, and varying bosses.

Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu: Interesting Pandemic variant, may be decent enough to warrant owning both
Cthulhu theme, clearly.

Portal of Morth: The cooperative version seems a bit half baked and tacked on. There are some okay ideas here, but definitely try before you buy if possible. Maybe someone on the geek will develop a decent coop variant.
Fantasy theme (fighters, wizards, demons, dragons, etc.).

New Legendary games:
Legendary: Big Trouble in Little China: Focuses more on interaction and the competitive but everyone can lose type game play. Terrible art. There are a few decent ideas here, but you're probably better off with regular Legendary and a coop variant (like playing with challenge modes from Dark City) - some of the more recent schemes and masterminds are nasty enough without variant play, and as always does not scale well per player.
Modern Asian-based fantasy (maybe slightly more Asian than fortune cookies) - fantasy part of the theme does not come through too much except for art (which again is sub par) and connection to the movie.
Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game: This is Legendary Encounters with play more like Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game. A few of the ideas they have here are interesting, but some actually don't work all that well with some of the missions in the game. Seems even less well balanced per player than other Legendary titles. Art is again pretty bad.
Sci-fi, clearly.

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition: Does away with the overlord player entirely and replaces it with an app. Not only improves game play, but decreases set up time immensely. Comes with a bunch of minis that don't seem useful or helpful for play (can sometimes get too many piled up on one space on the board). Only has 4 scenarios with the base game, but has an expansion on the way (to incorporate/replace 1st edition materials), with, I believe, 1 more scenario. There isn't currently enough replayability/randomness in the scenarios, but due to the app based play, this could be remedied with an app update/in-app purchase.
Horror, Lovecraft-esque Cthulhu theme.

Wizard's Academy: Quite difficult coop that seems to depend highly on how quickly you discover the needed spells.
Fantasy (wizards, imps, trolls, demons) theme.

Salvation Road: Okay post-apocalyptic coop, which gives each player a cool hero, and a survivor that is about as much a liability as a help.
Sci-fi (post-apocalyptic is generally regarded as sci-fi) theme.

Slaughterville: Dice chucking, random card draw coop. I've only played once, but others tell me that the different bad guys play fairly differently. Can run a bit on the long side.
Horror theme, changes with boss (zombies, carnies, headless horseman, etc.).

Star Trek Panic: Castle Panic with Star Trek theme, i.e., defend the Enterprise instead of a castle. Have not got to play yet myself, but have heard that there is enough different here that it is decidedly better than just base game Castle Panic.
Sci-fi, clearly.

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game: Fairly nifty, and relatively simple dice chucking coop - with still a fair amount of decisions. Only 5 quests and a delve in the base game, making replayability a bit light. Already had two print on demand character add-ons, and with FFG publish, seemed a shoe-in for heavy expansion treatment. Since FFG and Games Workshop cut ties, I think the best that can be hoped for is a re-theme.
Fantasy (Warhammer) theme.

Defenders of the Last Stand: Post-Apocalyptic variant of Defenders of the Realm, with enough different ideas to make it worth one's while to at least seek out to play this.
Sci-fi (post-apocalyptic is generally regarded as sci-fi) theme.

Centauri Saga: Space exploration game with a horrible rulebook (I think there is now a better version posted online - I don't know how much better) and terrible balance with a kind of snowball effect baked in - an early poor roll can put a player so far behind that the entire group no has no way of winning. I would recommend avoiding, and I kickstarted it.
Sci-fi, clearly.

Unknown: Exploration and pick-up and deliver coop; just doesn't seem to be enough present in game play.
Horror/post-apocalyptic theme.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Road to Legend: Introduces app-based play to Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), where the app takes over for the overload. Game play is (far too) similar to coop variants introduced in Forgotten Souls, Nature's Ire, and Dark Elements. Peril effects seem imbalanced for player count and perhaps a bit too brutal in general - needs tweaking; if I could access the peril effects/modifiers/triggers in the app, I might like it a bit more. Seems to heavily favor high speed, high fatigue heroes.
Fantasy (Terrinoth - D&D-esque) theme.

Apollo XIII: Don't know enough about this one.
Space theme. Probably more realistic than sci-fi.

Young Wizards: Mediocre rpg-ish (has rules for playing as RPG or as coop board game) coop with some deck construction and some rules available for light deck building.
Fantasy (wizards, goblins, undead) theme.

B-Sieged: Sons of the Abyss: Castle Panic-ish defend the tower from CMoN
Fantasy (orcs, trolls, goblins, spells, etc.) theme.

Bastion: Castle Panic-ish defend the tower (between this, B-Sieged, Orcs Orcs Orcs, and the Panic games, this is kind of becoming a genre to itself). The play for this one might be closer to Ghost Stories than the other defend the tower games.
Fantasy (necromancers, doppelgangers, dragons, spells, etc.) theme.

Mysterium: Asymmetric play coop, where 1 player can only communicate to the others by handing out Dixit-style cards.
Ghost mediums murder mystery theme.

The Shadow Over Westminster: Light, Cthulhu Mythos-themed coop with deck building. Okay, seemed like it was lacking something when I played.
Horror, Cthulhu theme.

The Big Book of Madness: Light coop deck builder. Some quite enjoy this, others find it dry, underwhelming, and varies far too little from play to play.
Fantasy (spell casting) game.

Last Starfleet: Sort of like a light Sentinels of the Multiverse in space.
Sci-fi theme.

Ghostbusters: The Board Game: Coop light minis skirmish game (along the lines of Descent or Shadows of Brimstone) with Ghostbusters theme.

Mistfall: Hand management adventure coop, which masquerades as a deck building game despite very little opportunity to "build your deck" or even get cards from your discard pile back in your deck.
Fantasy theme.

Outfoxed: Dice rolling and move deduction game for kids/families
Very, very light fantasy theme.

Thunderbirds: Pick-up and deliver coop with strong Pandemic influence (same designer)
Sci-fi ish theme (straight from the TV show)

Zombicide: Black Plague: Minis Skirmish game (along the lines of Descent or Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game), takes Zombicide to fantasy setting and improves on game play with a number of tweaks.
Fantasy horror theme.

Star Trek: Five-Year Mission: Dice chucking/placement coop with some real-time aspects. Underwhelming, game play not significantly different with each play.
Scifi, clearly.

Star Trek: Frontiers: Mage Knight Board Game with Star Trek theme, and like its predecessor has option for coop play.
Scifi, clearly.

Fireteam Zero: Minis Skirmish game (along the lines of Descent or Galaxy Defenders), have not gotten to play this yet. Not sure how much deck building there is in it, but has some definite card based play.
Horror/sci-fi theme, I believe.

The Ravens of Thri Sahashri: Have heard good things about, but not yet gotten to play this 2-player deduction coop.
Sci-fi/very light fantasy theme - one player is trying to "repair the other's memory" through "the other plane", pretty sure the theme is very light in this one.

Recent coops that I don't think fit your loose restrictions for theme.
FUSE: Real-time coop dice placement, pretty decent for what it is.

...and then, we held hands.: 2 player "co-operative game about finding balance" - seemed far too luck based to me, where a bad run of card draws dictates a loss.

Commissioned: Religious coop with light deck-building. Note: get the extra movement cards as quickly as possible to win.
Though, to be fair, some do consider religion fantasy.

The Game (2015): Card climbing (and descending) coop game

Also how recent/strict to within the last year do you mean?
By way of example, Space Cadets: Away Missions, Shadowrun: Crossfire, Galaxy Defenders, and Albion's Legacy (all mentioned above) were technically released over a year ago. Were you already aware of all of those games?

Runebound (Third Edition) I thought was technically competitive, but everyone can lose. Maybe there is a variant for more cooperative play, but it largely seemed like players mostly do their own thing in the game - it has been about a year since I played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few more ...

Star Trek Panic ... based on Castle Panic and was quite surprised how much fun this is.

Conquest of Planet Earth ... can be played coop or competitively where players are various aliens doing a beatdown on Earth's inhabitants.

Alien Uprising ... You've crashed on a alien world where the inhabitants have a real issue with your presence ... by the same designer of Defenders of the Realm ... great and tough game.

Eldritch Horror ... Many feel this replaces Arkham Horror though it is on a much grander scale.

The King's Armory ... You and your comrades must defend the castle. A tower defense boardgame.

Ghost Stories ... Can be brutal, definitely enjoyable.

Atlantis Rising ... Kind of a science/fantasy with a sinking island and strange technologies to discover.

Shadows of Brimstone ... the wild west meets Cthulhu-like denizens ... great fun!

Shadows of Malice ... fairly deep fantasy coop.

Legends of Andor ... A puzzle fantasy coop where you don't want to kill every beasty because you will lose.

Myth ... pure fantasy coop that is fun but takes some effort.

Secrets of the Lost Tomb ... Indiana Jones-like but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Shadowrift ... a coop fantasy deck builder.

Xenoshyft:Onslaught ... Maybe the most brutal/relentless SF coop I own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.