Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Talisman 3D printed Terrain pieces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leavon Archer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, I'm a 3D artist and have recently developed a 3D printed mini for B-sieged which has been well received over on the B-sieged forum and by 2nd Gate games.
This got me thinking that I would start to develop terrain pieces or game accessories for other games that I play. Talisman seemed to lend it self to a few key environment pieces; The Sentinel, portal or power, Temple etc. I chose the Crown of command as the first piece to have a go at. It was a really fun sculpt, it'll be printed out a 150mm tall so it should be quite an impressive centrepiece. Its currently cued up on my printer, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
My question is would there be any demand for these pieces? Either as printed miniatures or as an STL to download and print your own?

Zbrush Digital Sculpt
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daker
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
surprise

That looks . . . Talismanic!!!!

Speaking for myself, I would have some interest in purchasing such a piece. But I'd want to buy a printed piece, not print my own. And I'd like to see how it looks on the table first.

At any rate: great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United Kingdom
HITCHIN
HERTS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a huge fan of Talisman and Besieged and I love the catapult sculpt you made so would certainly be interested. What sort of price are you looking at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leavon Archer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks guys, I will be posting up a printed and painted model, it takes around 15 hours to print this model so it'll probably be the weekend when I get a painted version up.
I'm not 100% on pricing yet but I would think this one will come in at around £30. The biggest impact on the price is the time taken to print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mason
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful work. That is a crown worth racing for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be even better if there was room for figures at the top.
Spectacular work however. That would make the game look epic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daker
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
It would be even better if there was room for figures at the top.
Spectacular work however. That would make the game look epic.

That's a spectacular idea . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very cool.

It might need a fairly large footprint given the height of it. Mind you, there is a fair bit of space available in the Crown of Command space.

Perhaps you might like to think about incorporating a card holder in future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leavon Archer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
That would indeed look very cool, unfortunately I'd have to more than double the surface area of the top platform. I've had to balance scale with print detail, if I could make the crown smaller then it wouldn't be too much of a problem but then I sacrifice detail on the crown.
I'll have another look and see if it can be done....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks stunning!

How about designing a few minis along with some new characters for the game? I'd buy them without hesitation!!!
An "inofficial Talisman Character Expansion Pack" thumbsup
(I'm sure Jon New knows a place where some variant characters can be found ... meeple)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leavon Archer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks very much!
I'd be happy to do a few minis, I may have to do them in a slightly larger scale in order to get clean and detailed prints, although the orginal minis are not the sharpest casts.
I'll do some tests with one of my character sculpts and see what kind of results I get.
Jon New do you have any character profiles that don't have minis made for them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sent you a Geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Leavon wrote:
Thanks very much!
I'd be happy to do a few minis, I may have to do them in a slightly larger scale in order to get clean and detailed prints, although the orginal minis are not the sharpest casts.
I'll do some tests with one of my character sculpts and see what kind of results I get.
Jon New do you have any character profiles that don't have minis made for them?

The minis from the base game and first few expansions are mostly very bad - even for the time. I'd happily buy new or alternative sculpts for them, never mind new characters!

In particular I'd be delighted never to have to look at that awful elf miniature again, or the dwarf, or dark cultist..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Jameson
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
talismanisland wrote:
I've sent you a Geekmail.

Now this could be an exciting collaboration!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leavon Archer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I'm working on a character suggested by Jon, should have something to show in the next day or two.
Meanwhile this rolled off the printer this morning, 10 mins of cleanup with a craft knife, a quick coat of primer and this was the result:

The tower is 150mm high and around 90mm at it's widest point on the base.
I'm really pleased with the level of detail that has been reproduced, looking forward to getting some paint on it over the weekend...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!

That's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is....acceptable. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Troyan
United States
Elkton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic work!

Id be interested in either purchasing a piece or getting your STL file as I have access to a printer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike kohlhepp
United States
allentown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ready to buy one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leavon Archer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
so I mentioned earlier that Jon New had sent me a character concept to have a go at and here it is. It's a bit of a speed sculpt and still needs some refining but I figured it was good enough for a test print. I've just set it off printing so we'll see what happens...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Leavon wrote:
so I mentioned earlier that Jon New had sent me a character concept to have a go at and here it is. It's a bit of a speed sculpt and still needs some refining but I figured it was good enough for a test print. I've just set it off printing so we'll see what happens...

Boah! Looks great! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leavon Archer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
The Crown of command is now available to buy from my website both as a 3D print and digital download to print yourself.
http://www.leavon.co.uk/online-store
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daker
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks fantastic, and reasonably priced for such a specialty item. I'd still like to see how it looks on the board; and I'd love to see your paint job!

Also: does the tower fit inside the regular game box? (It looks like it would, but is the base too big?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
This is some stunning work that helps pimp out the game! Congrats on the achievement and I hope you're able to design more set pieces for important board locations.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mason
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
I hope you're able to design more set pieces for important board locations.

This comment just gave me a vision of a set piece for the Sentinel/Bridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.