Subject: Games like Carson City rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott G
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played Carson City and really liked the combination of worker placement and area control mixes with optional fighting. I thought I would not like the limits that 4 rounds impose, but after playing it again, I think that the pressure it creates works.

Are there any similar games I should look at, which have a similar gameplay?

Thanks,
Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Game Devourer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure which aspects you enjoyed, but 2 I can think of that may meet the bill are
1) The Manhattan Project - This is a worker placement game that allows players to perform espionage or bomb other players buildings. It's very much a game of timing as you leave your workers in buildings till you pull them back.
2) City of Iron: Second Edition - This has an area control aspect mixed with deckbuilding and tableau building (there are a lot of mechanics in this game). Players can either build up military to compete for control of neighboring towns or avoid that competition and focus on the purely economic aspects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worker-placement and area-control are combined in games such as:
Belfort
Dominant Species

The Manhattan Project doesn't have an area-control component, but it does have espionage and bombing, making it peculiarly interactive.

Perhaps check out Dominare - it's not a worker-placement game in the strict sense, but it checks some of your other boxes. There's a blend of solo engine-building with competition for area control, not to mention being nasty to each other with assassinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Empires: Age of Discovery also offers a combination of worker placement and area control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancaster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Pressure + worker placement = The Voyages of Marco Polo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City is based on Caylus and I don't think it exceeds the quality of it's progenitor. So check that out if you haven't played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the great suggestions, I am going to check them all out. I was looking at Belfort, but it seems to be OOP. I did find it on Amazon, but am not sure it is worth the premium being charged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MrLeigh 81
Australia
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien frontiers. Worker placement with area control and stealing actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sons of anarchy is an interesting one as is dogs of war.

Not true work placement but both checking out as something new and interesting.

If you like westerns Dakota is very very interesting. not the greatest game but the cowboy era done well. I got my copy for 6 quid so it is well worth that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadwood is supposed to be similar.

I recently played Saloon Tycoon, and it's similar thematically. I quite enjoyed it, maybe give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
Deadwood is supposed to be similar.

I played Deadwood when it first came out and I did not get that impression. It's a much simpler game. Wish I could say more that that, but the game did not leave much of an impression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I looked at all of the suggested games and thought more about what it was that I liked so much about Carson City. I think for me, it came down to having so many choices. You can choose if you want to focus on building for a long game, or just get cheap VP. You can influence the turn order, you can choose to fight or not, choose to use luck (dice), choose to bluff, etc...
I did not think that the theming had as much to do with it, but the theming does work well. It works so well in fact, that I can't get past the old west theme when I look for similar games.

I am now thinking of getting Great Western Trail and realize it may be due to the Western theme.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/193738/great-western-tra...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gixxerscott wrote:
I looked at all of the suggested games and thought more about what it was that I liked so much about Carson City. I think for me, it came down to having so many choices. You can choose if you want to focus on building for a long game, or just get cheap VP. You can influence the turn order, you can choose to fight or not, choose to use luck (dice), choose to bluff, etc...
I did not think that the theming had as much to do with it, but the theming does work well. It works so well in fact, that I can't get past the old west theme when I look for similar games.

I am now thinking of getting Great Western Trail and realize it may be due to the Western theme.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/193738/great-western-tra...

Based on your thoughts, I'd recommend Empires: Age of Discovery. It has a good number of routes to victory. You're jockeying for control of areas with some negotiation. You can also minimize that aspect and push for an economic/discovery route. If you can't tell it's one of my favorite games even after playing it for 8+ years now.

While Great Western Trail is top on my Essen list, I don't think that will offer the experience you are looking for. Should still be a good game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.