Jessica Gustafsson
Sweden
Stenungsund
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Me and my partner really enjoy playing games like Agricola, Viticulture and Brew Crafters etc but sometimes we feel that these games end to quickly. Just as you've got your farm/vinery/brewery up and running, you run out of seasons or somebody crosses the finishline in terms of victory points. Don't get me wrong, we thoroughly enjoy these games and are not looking to replace them. We just want to add a game to our collection that keeps on going for a bit longer so that you can see your hard labour come into fruition. I suppose I'm after some sort of enginebuilding game that keeps on going?

- theme could be anything really
- not too aggressive, blocking actions will do
- doesn't have to be vs, we like co-op as well

We have our eye on Terraforming Mars but the component quality reported by some reviewers has put us off for now.

Anyone have any thoughts on what might fill the bill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hesse
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Le Havre. Its Rosenburg at his best. A longer game, but it really lets you use the stuff you build over time. My favorite game of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Roads & Boats is the biggest/longest builder I know of. I love it, and it's well worth the high price, if you like this sort of thing.

Ora et Labora is another longer builder from Uwe.

I just bought Terraforming Mars. It's definitely a building game, though not as big as some imply - maybe like Ora. played a solo game last night. The player mats are thin and glossy. I use a dot of removable picture hanging putty to stick the production markers to the board. Problem solved. The cards look OK and work fine. Don't let that hold you back - it might be a while before they reprint.

There's a new game out after Essen that may take the crown for big builders: The Colonists. I'm itching to get my hands on a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Gustafsson
Sweden
Stenungsund
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your recommendations! I have eyed Le Havre previously but hadn't realized that it doesn't end as sudden as Agricola.

So am I right in thinking that a good progression would be Terraforming Mars/Ora et Labora then Le havre and then Roads & Boats? It seems the last one is a bit tricky to get a hold of as well as being the most advanced one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hesse
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
filten wrote:
Thank you for your recommendations! I have eyed Le Havre previously but hadn't realized that it doesn't end as sudden as Agricola.

So am I right in thinking that a good progression would be Terraforming Mars/Ora et Labora then Le havre and then Roads & Boats? It seems the last one is a bit tricky to get a hold of as well as being the most advanced one.

That sounds about right to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Ora et Labora

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
At the risk of re-fueling the Disposable Board Game / Single Play Experience VS Board Games Last Forever / Never Permanently Mark Your Board Game discussion, I think Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 fits you requirement...

I've only played a few chapters, but I thought it was pretty well done.. as an episodic game... As you get further into the story, you definitely build upon earlier decisions made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely pick Ora et Labora over Le Havre if we're talking Rosenberg and the topic is building something huge. The feeling of starting small and ending big is definitely present in Le Havre, but the scope is much larger in Ora et Labora and you get the player board to prove it. The spatial element also makes where you build all of your big stuff matter that much more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Big City," if you can find a copy, is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of Arle when it comes back out soon. Very realistic building feeling. Wish I kept my copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I've had the same opinion about a lot of these games. You spend all the time building something and then never get to use it.

I know it's out of print (so doesn't help you much unless it shows up in an auction or something), but Macao is the best game that we've found that really lets you use the "engine" that you've built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
filten wrote:

I think that Terraforming Mars, Ora et Labora and Le Havre are roughly at the same level.

Roads & Boats is kind of its own thing. The rules complexity is about the same as the others, maybe even a little simpler. It is unique in that it is more open than any other game I've played. You have a map, some bits, donkeys and geese and a relatively simple set of rules for building, logistics and resource conversion, and it is up to you to build your VP generating empire of roads and buildings and transporters. Uwe's "sandbox" games (ora, Le Havre, Fields of Arle, etc) feel constrained and rail-driven when compared with Roads and Boats.

I'm hoping that The Colonists will give something like that Roads & Boats feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
filten wrote:

I think that Terraforming Mars, Ora et Labora and Le Havre are roughly at the same level.

Roads & Boats is kind of its own thing. The rules complexity is about the same as the others, maybe even a little simpler. It is unique in that it is more open than any other game I've played. You have a map, some bits, donkeys and geese and a relatively simple set of rules for building, logistics and resource conversion, and it is up to you to build your VP generating empire of roads and buildings and transporters. Uwe's "sandbox" games (ora, Le Havre, Fields of Arle, etc) feel constrained and rail-driven when compared with Roads and Boats.

I'm interested in The Colonists too, but not sure it would quite hit the OP's need. The intro game example that's posted only has 10 rounds, so that seems limited like Agricola, Brew Crafters, etc. It's possible that the full game has much more room to grow and build, though I can't find any info on that yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Aganerral wrote:
quill65 wrote:
filten wrote:

I'm interested in The Colonists too, but not sure it would quite hit the OP's need. The intro game example that's posted only has 10 rounds, so that seems limited like Agricola, Brew Crafters, etc. It's possible that the full game has much more room to grow and build, though I can't find any info on that yet.

From what I've read (can't recall where, probably a forum thread), the full length game variant will be something like 4 hours or more. The game is designed so that you can choose how long of a game you wish to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Gustafsson
Sweden
Stenungsund
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the recommendations and stuff!

Now the hard part will be to choose. I've been watching some playthroughs of the above mentioned games(except The Colonists because there are none yet that I could find, but it looks great as well). My biggest problem now is that they all seem like really good, fun games but it might be a bit of an overkill to get them all at once! I feel it might be safer to go with one of the Rosenberg games since all of them have been played extensively by a large group of people and I haven't seen many complaints. I do however really connect to the theme of Terraforming Mars so I might get that later. I'm tempted to pre-order The Colonists but I don't think I know enough about it yet and I will definately keep an eye out for Roads & Boats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Our current favorite game is Scythe, but it has very hard limits in that once you feel you have finally built your empire engine up, the game ends in a turn or two - because you keep using the engine simply to improve itself to perfection which itself leads to ending the game.

So the thread topic sounds like my favorite game too! Unfortunately most of the stuff mentioned here may be a tad too heavy (Roads and boats, Colonists) or not very polished (Ora et Labora looks like a horrible mess on the table and Le Havre - one of few games I won't buy because of theme alone. Uwe please re-theme ).

Could Caverna be classified as one such game, or does it end abruptly like Agricola? And how about the tiny 2p Agricola version?

Fields of Arle is unfortunate in that I try to avoid big 2p only games, in my experience they get very little play time and make me regret buying them.

Terraforming Mars sounds nice but isn't available and looks a little bland and a lot overpriced - looking at photos I'd put it on the level of Imperial Settlers, Village, Cyclades... certainly not $75

One game I'd peg as an engine builder that can keep on going is Last Will - where you build an engine to lose money! The thing is you can choose how much money you have to spend at the start of the game, and the range of options is something like 60-120 (with the default being 80 I think). Since there is a fixed amount of turns, the higher sums can be a challenge to get rid of and really require you to keep on squeeze maximum out of your engine until the very last moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glouie wrote:
At the risk of re-fueling the Disposable Board Game / Single Play Experience VS Board Games Last Forever / Never Permanently Mark Your Board Game discussion, I think Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 fits you requirement...

I've only played a few chapters, but I thought it was pretty well done.. as an episodic game... As you get further into the story, you definitely build upon earlier decisions made.

I think this is not the way OP meant "building".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.