Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play a lot of DDAS and while it's a co-op game I would also set up an overall winner. This would be the person who had the best run after tallying their combined treasure and exp from creatures defeated.

I don't have this game yet, but what are the sorts of things that can be tracked in Silver Tower to determine which hero 'wins'?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Hooligan wrote:
I used to play a lot of DDAS and while it's a co-op game I would also set up an overall winner. This would be the person who had the best run after tallying their combined treasure and exp from creatures defeated.

I don't have this game yet, but what are the sorts of things that can be tracked in Silver Tower to determine which hero 'wins'?

Thanks

You get renown every time you kill something, which trade in for skills as you play. You get to keep some skills between adventures if you play a linked campaign, and as everyone is only allowed to keep the same amount, it isn't good for tracking personal success.

You get treasure, but as that is based on getting lucky with search results and you are limited to how many you can have, it isn't good for tracking success.

You also get shards of a talisman for completing adventures. So, technically your overall winner would be the player with the most talisman pieces at the end of the campaign.

However, you are not restricted to using the same hero in every adventure either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like the most straightforward ways would be either:

1) Most total renown earned over the course of the game.

OR

2) Most shards at the end of the game. But getting a shard is going to be heavily luck based.

Just to note, there may be some major character imbalance. For example, Tenabrael Shard gets bonus renown for killing multiple monsters, which already gives good renown. A Warpriest gains bonus renown for healing other heroes, which cuts into the actions the Warpriest is spending fighting monsters and makes the other heroes able to kill more monsters and gain more renown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there are a number of classes that don't really work in a semi-co-op environment. You can certainly make it a competition, but it isn't built for it. Probably the best way to do so would be to let someone stay dead, then farm XP until you got the best skill sets. The game is pretty easy to break by doing something completely other than what it's intended for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Yeah, there are a number of classes that don't really work in a semi-co-op environment. You can certainly make it a competition, but it isn't built for it. Probably the best way to do so would be to let someone stay dead, then farm XP until you got the best skill sets. The game is pretty easy to break by doing something completely other than what it's intended for.

Only if you play with total jerks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you would be. But, how else would you make a co-op game into a competitive one than having people play to their personal advantage instead of the team's? I mean, the less-extreme version of that is opportunistically killing/sniping kills, which is just the same thing, but less effective. And, I guess you could be a less-effective jerk, but you're still playing to be a jerk.

Just, like, play the game normally, and along with winning as a group, someone who's luckiest, most valuable to the party, etc., happens to extra-win? So, the support character is in last because they don't get many kills, and the tanks do okay, and the glass cannon wins because it's their job to murder stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't begrudge players for being tough opponents.

But gaming the system like what you described would be pushing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.