Hide
2 Posts

Labyrinth: The Awakening, 2010 – ?» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The Hagel Doctrine rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Kilcommons
msg tools
First run through of the Arab Spring scenario was great. Incredibly solid expansion that I'd say was better than the base game (and my copy is significantly worn from hours upon hours of use). First play through was myself as the Jihadists vs the US bot.

Bot kickstarted things by withdrawing forces from the Gulf States, playing Smartphones, and getting Awakening markers in Afghanistan (don't remember how exactly but it was +2 on the first turn). Quick play of censorship knocked them out and I (wrongly) decided to get bogged down in recruiting cells into Afghanistan for most of the first 3 turns to replace cells that I was losing "overseas" to failed travel/jihad attempts.

The bot was having trouble playing WOI for those first few turns showing that the US no longer had the influential power it had right after 9/11 due to a medium level of prestige thanks to the ongoing war in Afghanistan, Bin Laden being alive and well, and the US conflicting with world powers over the GWOT (was -3 Hard at that point. UK, FR, Israel, & China thanks to the Korean Crisis). That changed though when the bot came up with Hagel card. US shifted from soft to hard and removed one of the biggest obstacles to the bot being able to do WOI in muslim countries.

Later on with the play of Status Quo Afghanistan transitioned out of Regime Change and eventually won the game via good resources.

Interesting play through for the first time. Discovered that my best option would be to leave Afghanistan ASAP otherwise the bot will continually exploit cells in the country for +Prestige.

Syria, in a creepy way, followed real life. Daara card came up on the second turn, both I and the bot played a card (can't recall the name) to place Awakening/Reaction markers in Syria. Then on Turn 3 "Free Syrian Army" came up and was played by the US and it plunged into Civil War. By the end of the game it still wasn't resolved with Attrition being a tit for tat between us. It ended with 4 Militia/UNSCR 1973 against 6 cells with both WMD's in Syria still. It also was set to Poor Neutral after a minor Jihad.

All in all a great game and one that I can't wait to get back to on the weekends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report, Mike! I'm certainly glad the US bot gave you a tough match. Hagel can really swing the course of a game in either direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.