Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » General

Subject: How does it compare to Legendary? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Our group has a lot of experience with deck building games, also with coops. From this background I wanted to find out if I will like the game. Thematically it attracts me a lot. I don't mind if the game has nohthing revolutionary to offer as a deck building game, but provides good thematic atmosphere and tension, being mechanically solid.

Right now I'm worried about the game being too easy and about replayability. Note that we do usually start Legendary Aliens and Predator (coop mode) with a card in the complex and less drones/young blood to make it harder.

I've read this one:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23384714#23384714

But to ask in more detail:
1) Are there reasonable ways to make the game harder, I mean also in year 7?
2) One thing I like about Legendary is the coordinate mechanism. Are you reasonably involved in other players turns constantly debating?
3) Is the level of suspension rising during a game?
4) As there are only additions to every year and not a complete new scenario as far as I understand: Are the games reasonably different in themselves due to different cards popping up at different times?
5) Do you see reoom thematically and mechanically for expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Califax wrote:
2) One thing I like about Legendary is the coordinate mechanism. Are you reasonably involved in other players turns constantly debating?
4) As there are only additions to every year and not a complete new scenario as far as I understand: Are the games reasonably different in themselves due to different cards popping up at different times?

1) I have yet to beat the game on year seven, after three plays. It seems much more difficult that the previous years and in some sense I think year seven is where the game is really meant to be played. Hopefully someone who has beat year seven can chime in and say whether they think the game is too easy or too hard, but right now I would say it does not need an increase in difficulty. That said, the game basically runs on a timer (control tokens on the location cards) so you could make the game harder by giving the villains a couple of extra control tokens at the start of the game. Heroes abilities will also grow as you progress through they years. Using the younger, less powerful, hero cards in year seven would also add difficulty.

2) I can't compare to Legendary as I really disliked Marvel and haven't tried any of the subsequent games in the series. That said, you do need to coordinate your hands and abilities with the other players in order to do well in Hogwarts Battle.

3) I don't think so. My experience so far is that the first four rounds of the game tend to set the pace. If your heroes get a good start and can keep the initial villains under control, you can hold that control the rest of the game. In contrast, if they beat you up early, its difficult to recover. There was one game where we were two or three control locations away from losing and needed about as many attack tokens to win, so each turn really started to matter, but this has only happened once in about about a dozen games.

4) I'm not sure I really know what you are asking here. Each year adds components to the previous set of years, so its cumulative rather than different. Deck builders don't tend to have different scenarios so this question doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Its not going to be like Legendary where you have a different story and different win/loss conditions.

5) Not really. One problem I already have is that when you get to year seven it can be hard to get some of the cards you need because the center deck is so large and you are dependent upon the flip of that deck. Expanding the game could make this worse if not balanced correctly. I also would not want to add more villains to the deck as that would extend the game. (I might change that opinion if I can figure out how to win though.) The game appears to be based on the IP of the movie and not the books, so USAopoly may be limited as to what they can introduce. All of the villains, allies, spells, etc that HP fans will want to see from the movies are already in the game and the whole story is ultimately played out, so there isn't anything you can thematically add in. An expansion that includes "book only" items would be theoretically possible, but this may not be allowed by the licence. Even then this would still be a "more of the same" expansion and not a "new adventure" kind of expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Benziger
United States
Oakdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Califax wrote:
Our group has a lot of experience with deck building games, also with coops. From this background I wanted to find out if I will like the game. Thematically it attracts me a lot. I don't mind if the game has nohthing revolutionary to offer as a deck building game, but provides good thematic atmosphere and tension, being mechanically solid.

Right now I'm worried about the game being too easy and about replayability. Note that we do usually start Legendary Aliens and Predator (coop mode) with a card in the complex and less drones/young blood to make it harder.

I've read this one:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23384714#23384714

But to ask in more detail:

1. Year 7 is Hard!

2. Legendary is one of my favorite games ever. I can't get enough of it, however this is a great way to layer in difficulties. I can not play legendary with newbie due to the keywords and deeper layers of strategy.

3. I agree with david jones, if you get hit early it is gonna to be tough to recover. If you are lucky enough you might "deck build" into a deck that prolongs your attempt but ultimately their are some nasty villain combos with the dark arts cards.

4. I don't want to spoil anything but from game 3 - game 6 the objective is the same however tougher each time. Beat the villians before they take control of the locations. Game 7 is similar to that but you must destroy the Horcrux. I will not spoil how you do that.

5. I do not see an expansion for this game working. Plus they spent all this time on the insert, I cant imagine they would throw that all out the window.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Thx for the responses David and Joshua.

davypi wrote:
Califax wrote:

3) I don't think so. My experience so far is that the first four rounds of the game tend to set the pace. If your heroes get a good start and can keep the initial villains under control, you can hold that control the rest of the game. In contrast, if they beat you up early, its difficult to recover. There was one game where we were two or three control locations away from losing and needed about as many attack tokens to win, so each turn really started to matter, but this has only happened once in about about a dozen games.

I have to say, this also bothers me. Plus the fact, that they obviously did not take into account a too expensive market:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1637035/clearing-market

Legendary doesn't always provide those really tense games either, but reasonably often.

davypi wrote:
Califax wrote:

4) I'm not sure I really know what you are asking here. Each year adds components to the previous set of years, so its cumulative rather than different. Deck builders don't tend to have different scenarios so this question doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Its not going to be like Legendary where you have a different story and different win/loss conditions.

With question 4 I already admitted that there are no different scenarios in the sense of legendary. I wanted to know if the randomness of the market (trade row in Star realms/barracks in Alien Legendary) and villains make feel the same scenario to be very different in different games.

My verdict is, that I have to try the game out and won't buy it directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Fillingham
msg tools
mb
What is the replayability of this game? It sounds like you go through the seven years, then you're done. Is this right? I've been looking forward to this game, but it's beginning to sound less and less appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slfillingham wrote:
What is the replayability of this game? It sounds like you go through the seven years, then you're done. Is this right? I've been looking forward to this game, but it's beginning to sound less and less appealing.

It's more like you are building up to the "full" game. Game 1 starts off like an intro. Future games add in more cards, rules, and complexity. You can play any game as much as you want with the set of rules up to that point, but I'd suspect when you get to Game 7 (assuming the same group of people), you'd probably want to stick with that ruleset.

However, it does do a few things that makes playing through all the games in a row feel more like a series where the characters are growing up and getting stronger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slfillingham wrote:
What is the replayability of this game? It sounds like you go through the seven years, then you're done.

The order that the cards come out of the purchasing deck will be different each game. So the variability in play will come from having to build your deck differently each time. However, you don't get to change the contents of the purchasing deck like you do in Legendary, so its not as versatile in that sense. The villain order will change each game as well, although this variability is much smaller. There is another feature in one of the later years that will add some customization to the initial setup, so you could experiment with trying to win the game using different options offered by that feature, but its still not going to meet the level of mix & match you are used to from Legendary. I'm not trying to imply that a Legendary comparison is invalid, but Hogwarts Battle is more comparable to Ascension. There is replayability here, but you have to bear in mind that Legendary's setup system sets a very high bar for variability that very few games in general can meet, so its not an easy game to use as a measuring stick. Also bear in mind that Hogwarts, I think, is trying to target a more mainstream audience whereas Legendary is somewhat of a "gamer's game" as far as deckbuilders go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Also bear in mind that Hogwarts, I think, is trying to target a more mainstream audience whereas Legendary is somewhat of a "gamer's game" as far as deckbuilders go.

This!

Many of the questions about comparisons and replayability come back to this for me. This game is meant to simplify some of what we've seen in deckbuilders and streamline (mostly to accommodate a less hardcore experience).

At many times, I've felt as though I'm not actually building a deck, as the complexity of choices is far more minimal than competing games. My wife and I love the HP theme, so I can see this game having legs for us. To be honest though, for others, I'd tend to use this as a Deckbuilding 101. Building up to, say, Legendary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.