Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Creatures, creatures everywhere!!!

I must sadly report that we failed to win at playing Legend 3 for the first time. It was a 3-player game, and we were only able to fulfil our fate card missions before time ran out (the end game boss was the Gran-Troll).

I think one of the major errors we committed was to kill too many Creatures (we wanted the gold), thus pushing the Narrator forward too quickly...

In hindsight, I'm under the impression that the transition from Legend 2 to Legend 3 is a huge leap for new players: there are many many creatures that spawn in L3 (even allowing for the 4 slots at the castle, thanks to the 2 peasant tokens).

I'm aware that the game designer has suggested some variants to make the Legends easier (for L3, +2 Strength Points at setup).

But I was considering the following tweaks to make L3 easier for beginners. I enjoy the challenge, but I'm afraid my fellow players, who are not seasoned gamers, may become disinterested because they find Andor too difficult to win yuk. Once we've learned the basic strategies of the game, we could play L3 as it was originally designed.

Here they are:

- draw only 3 Monster Tiles at setup (instead of 5), and seed the Legends Track with fewer Monster Tiles (3 or 4 instead of 5?)
- fog tokens with gold worth 2 gold coins each (instead of just 1)

Does this seem reasonable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My sense of LoA is that the intent is that you probably will lose every scenario the first time you play it. You'll be surprised by plot twists, objective changes, monster appearing inconveniently, etc. So with that mindset, I can see why the legends seem tough at first.

That's actually something my wife really disliked about the game. She doesn't like co-ops that surprise you in brutal ways. She likes to have at least a reasonable chance to win, even if it's the first time we're playing a particular game (or scenario).

So I like your ideas. I was thinking something similar just the other day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
She doesn't like co-ops that surprise you in brutal ways. She likes to have at least a reasonable chance to win, even if it's the first time we're playing a particular game (or scenario).
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is a lot like that, too. Only after knowing each step in the quest do you have a good idea what it takes to beat the scenario - and build your decks accordingly. LotR is much more brutal and random than Andor, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for your reply! I think we'll try these ideas during our next play. I'm looking forward to taking another shot at beating that Gran-Troll!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylusboy wrote:
I'm looking forward to taking another shot at beating that Gran-Troll!

...or whichever random big boss comes out. Sometimes the preparations that would be ideal against one boss turn out to hurt you against a different boss. Whatever happens, good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
peak hope wrote:
...or whichever random big boss comes out.

Thanks! We'll probably pre-select which boss card to play with at first, as the Gran-troll seems the least daunting of the 4! (another one of Michael Menzel's suggestions for making L3 easier for beginners...) cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tolle Colart
Belgium
Deurne
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange. I played legend 3 2 times. Each time with 4 players, but 3 other players each game.
We have won Legend 3 two times, no problem.
With both groups we lost legend 2 a couple of times. I think I lost it 3 times in total.
Legend 2 was a lot harder then legend 3 in my opinion.
Especially the problem to be strong enough for the end-boss in legend 2. Huge problem.

I have learned that this more a time management game then an adventure, and NEVER attack an eneny alone. Always in group. You lose too much time when trying to kill a monster on your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, we needed 3 or 4 attempts to beat Legend 2, then won Legend 3 on second try and 4 on first. (All games with 4 players.) But I would agree, that the game is not meant to be won all the time, it's supposed to challenge. So loosing in the first session is not indicating, that it is too hard for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.