BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Luck or Strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Valdivia
Mexico
flag msg tools
Hell Everyone!

New to BGG here. So i played some games where its all strategy and others are pure luck.

Would you rather a game where its based on luck rather than strategy?

Sample: Lets say its a battle game, who wins depends on a dice roll or would you rather who ever has the correct card/items wins the fight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate dice battles. It feels like I'm not doing anything. To me strategy games are fun, and more fun when the mechanics and flow of the game fit the theme (like Dungeon Petz, Hawaii, and Kanban: Automotive Revolution). I don't mind the 'luck' of the card draw or some dice rolling, but I have to be able to plan for undesirable rolls, and there must be many other things I can do in the game (like La Granja and Bora Bora).

Oh, and welcome!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As with real life, I like a game that has a mix of both. We can't control everything that happens in our lives, but we can control how we manage our luck/circumstances. Hence, I prefer games with dice rolling/card drawing which allow for some mitigation- some favorites are Roll for the Galaxy, Merchants & Marauders, Firefly: The Game. I also like the somewhat controlled chaos of Colt Express- having to adjust your plans as you see which cards are played and how it might effect your previous strategy.

Welcome to BGG. What is your gaming preference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

If I have the choice of totally luck or totally strategy then strategy. They aren't opposite ends of the scale though - there are plenty of games with luck and strategy/tactics/skill: Poker, Monopoly, Backgammon, Risk, Cribbage, Race for the Galaxy, Star Realms, Catan, Carcassonne. In all those games there is luck but the better player will win far more games. There are also games with zero luck but almost no skill such as tic-tac-toe.

Mdj latam games wrote:
Sample: Lets say its a battle game, who wins depends on a dice roll or would you rather who ever has the correct card/items wins the fight?

It depends, if the game has interesting decisions either is fine. Based on that description either game could be terrible or great.

P.S. You have a typo in your greeting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are actually a continuum at work here.

No Luck (chess)
Mix Luck (Risk)
All Luck (War)

In game like chess there is no luck at all.

In games like risk, luck is present, but there is strategy, you have a choice of how many armies to move into a territory, you can even chose how many dice to roll. (although this choice is trivial)

In games like war/LCR there is only luck.

You will find a large diversity of opinions. Almost nobody here will like 100% luck games. Others like a mixture, wile some want no luck at all.

I think that some luck is best, the difficult question is how much is too much? For me risk is too much, but Eclipse (which uses a similar battle mechanic) is better. But I also like games like Chess where there is no luck involved. (but only against opponents who are close to my skill level.

Sorry, but there is not short answer to your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite games are roughly equally split between games with a mix of luck & skill (e.g. Race for the Galaxy, Cribbage, Priests of Ra) and games with no luck (e.g. Pentago, Connect Four, Kalah).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like a balance of luck and strategy in my games. Random draws that change the landscape of the game and options available, yet with enough choices to strategize an optimal way forward. Luck used in the right way adds a bit of spice to a game and increases its replay value as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, obviously it depends on the game genre and intended experience. For thematic RPG type story games, luck is an important mechanism for dramatic tension and keeping the game fresh. For a heavy strategy euro, luck needs to be reduced or removed entirely to reward strategic play. I like both types of game, but I only want luck in the former.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben T

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmb
costguy wrote:
But I also like games like Chess where there is no luck involved. (but only against opponents who are close to my skill level.

I think this is a key point (emphasis mine). Luck is a way to mitigate differences in player skill without resorting to inelegant handicaps. Personally, I love Chess, but am at a position where I'm good enough to win probably 95% of my games against friends who know the rules but haven't played much, and bad enough to lose 95% of games at any sort of regular chess club. So I have a much better time playing something with more luck in it, as at least I'll have some chance against much better players, and also won't just dominate much worse players out of ever wanting to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
A good game can have a lot of luck or no luck at all but a game with no strategy is not a game I want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Devery
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like to say Chance/Strategy, but that's a different discussion.

I prefer games that involve a degree of chance, but not so much chance that it can change the result of the game, or plays an integral part in determining the winner.

I enjoy games when the chance involved makes you need to adjust your strategy, or change your gameplay. It makes a game more strategic in a sense. If you win due to a random roll, it can be fun and exciting, but can you really be proud of that? Was it really a challenge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
costguy wrote:

No Luck (chess)
Mix Luck (Risk)
All Luck (War)

It's not a continuum, that implies one axis. In reality, there are two separate axes between luck and skill.

Low luck, low skill (tic tac toe)
High luck, low skill (War)
Low luck, high skill (chess)
High luck, high skill (poker)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Welcome to BGG! I prefer games with a good balance of luck and strategy. For instance, Screaming Eagles provide strategic movement with die rolls. Or Monopoly where die rolls aren't the end all be all. There are also games like Sequence that is a good mix between luck based on what cards you get and strategic placement. Games like those are what I prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
costguy wrote:

No Luck (chess)
Mix Luck (Risk)
All Luck (War)

It's not a continuum, that implies one axis. In reality, there are two separate axes between luck and skill.

Low luck, low skill (tic tac toe)
High luck, low skill (War)
Low luck, high skill (chess)
High luck, high skill (poker)

I see your point. But I was not talking about skill, you have added another axis, and that's fine, even useful. But you could have easily added another axis like time (long vs short game)

For example a game like No thanks (high luck, short time) is rated higher than a game like Fluxx (high luck long time(potentially). The skill component on both games is about the same. I think there is really a multidimensional axis of several factors that vary from individual to individual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Valdivia
Mexico
flag msg tools
thank you!

an honest reply and hepful! ill check the games you mention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Valdivia
Mexico
flag msg tools
Hello!

agreed! mixture of both.. i dont like it to be entirely luck but then again its builds up more tension as we never know what is going to happen.

Also thank you for the suggestions ill check the games out, lets see if i like those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mdj latam games wrote:
Hell Everyone!

New to BGG here. So i played some games where its all strategy and others are pure luck.

Would you rather a game where its based on luck rather than strategy?

There needs to be a balance between both. But I lean more towards strategy, because I would play a game that is pure strategy, I would not (intentionally) play a game that is pure luck.

But again, I think there needs to be a balance between both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Malmberg
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Give me strategy or give me death. Dice hate me, proven via numerous university studies -- the less luck the better (Blood Rage's card drafting luck is as much as I can stand).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
I really like randomness, but I wouldn't necessarily call that luck. Luck is always random but random isn't always luck.

To take Cyclades as an example. It has combat where both sides roll a die and add their combat strength to determine who wins. That's luck, with some mitigation as far as army strength and such go but it's still luck.

Another thing is at the start of every round action order is randomised (maybe VP actions go first, or economy stuff, or perhaps military). I don't think this is lucky since players then bid on whatever action they'd like to take. Game state gets randomised and it's up to you where to go from there. It's quite random but there's no "rolled a 1 and lost" going on.

Or look at Mage Knight Board Game. Almost everything in that game comes from a shuffled deck or stack of some sort. But once you've drawn your hand you generally know exactly what you can do with it. Very high on randomness, fairly low on luck.

I certainly don't mind a little luck, but I think I lean towards random strategy, to answer the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Valdivia
Mexico
flag msg tools
Wouldnt the "randomness" be the same as "luck" I mean its lucky to get a good cards in a way and its random as well.

So that is the same thing from a perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Esther Phillips - Baby, I'm for Real!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategy and Random Elements
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
I might be arguing semantics. To me luck is something that happens to you and randomness is something you work with. Not that I'm saying Mage Knight has no luck, that would be absurd. But in my mind it's mostly random with a bit of luck here and there. Because all cards in your deck are good there's almost no bad hands to be had. There are a few instances it's possible such as round 1 opening hand with no movement. That's statistically unlikely and there are limited ways to mitigate it but it's there.

Looking at your hypothetical dice combat example. If you roll a specific number you win, if you roll another specific number you lose. That's luck. You make a decision (= roll a die) and then it either works or doesn't. In Mage Knight you draw your random hand of cards and then decide what you do with those. Cards have exact, deterministic effects. Once you have a hand you know exactly what it can accomplish.

I've certainly rolled badly in Cyclades' combat. I don't draw bad hands in Mage Knight. Only hands that offer varying possibilities. I don't know. Maybe I'm just looking at this from a different perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Esther Phillips - Baby, I'm for Real!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nekku wrote:
To me luck is something that happens to you and randomness is something you work with.

Luck happens to the other players too. The ones who best understand how to take full advantage of good rolls and mitigate the effects of bad ones will win most of the time.

Nekku wrote:
I don't know. Maybe I'm just looking at this from a different perspective.

It sounds like the perspective of someone who is unfamiliar with Game Theory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer all strategy. Whenever I can I play Chess or games like Hive. I'll play other games with a combination of luck and strategy since getting such a game going is more likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All strategy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.