Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: I'm Always the Purchaser, Teacher and Rulesmeister - How About You? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No one wants to take the time to read the rules or even watch a video to learn new games. I'm forced to be the one who does all the research, teaches and keeps an eye on the rules as we play. This is true for family and friends, and although most enjoy playing, they can't be bothered with anything more.

Ok, sure, it's my hobby, not theirs, so really I'm not complaining; I'm glad I have people to play with.

So, do you find others who want to learn and possibly teach games or is it all you?

I just created a poll related to this question: Poll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing here. I'm glad I have some people to play with, but I do end up always being the one who buys games, reads the rules, teaches them and moderates them. Of course I'm also the one being told they didn't explain that one crucial rule, or 'but you just did that thing you're telling me I can't do yourself!'.
The things we do for gaming...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy maybe half the games we play. I almost never have to solo teach the rules, we have a much better rulemister in my group than I am, however, I do read the rules multiple times and try to watch gameplay vids for any new game, including the ones I do not buy.

This is beneficial because most of the games we play have 10 or more pages of rules. 20+ is not uncommon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank goodness, no. I do about 50% of the teaching and rules and 35-40% of the buying. A friend (the one partially responsible for getting me past Uno and Stratego) does the other 50% and another 35-40%.

My dad will generously buy games and loves to play, but doesn't really want to figure out how to. Even my sister has picked up the occasional game.

Being able to share those responsibilities is huge. It's meant we have much more variety than we would if we were depending on one persons paycheck to buy everything. It's also fun to sit back and be taught sometimes! Less tiring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think you'll find that the majority of people with BGG user accounts and who read your question and who bothered to answer it or the poll, are the same as you. Because self selection. And yes, I'm like you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
I think you'll find that the majority of people with BGG user accounts and who read your question and who bothered to answer it or the poll, are the same as you. Because self selection. And yes, I'm like you!

Yeah, I thought of that. I'd be surprised if anyone chooses either of the two answers above 'Other'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The three regulars in my group share the responsibility of teaching new games, two of us do most of the purchasing, but I'm the one that reviews the rules our first couple of plays to make sure we're getting everything. Good thing too, because they'd been skipping the last round of Lanterns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the group of people of playing with but inevitably, when there's a complex game coming to the table and it's new to everyone and I ask people to at least watch a rules video, there's always that one guy who doesn't get around to it. shake Then it's full rules explanation anyway but at least in that case, since a few people are familiar with the rules, games can be cleaner with fewer/no rule mistakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VolleyGame wrote:
No one wants to take the time to read the rules or even watch a video to learn new games. I'm forced to be the one who does all the research, teaches and keeps an eye on the rules as we play. This is true for family and friends, and although most enjoy playing, they can't be bothered with anything more.

Ok, sure, it's my hobby, not theirs, so really I'm not complaining; I'm glad I have people to play with.

So, do you find others who want to learn and possibly teach games or is it all you?

I'm the same as you, except that I prefer it that way.

Pete (is pretty good at buying, teaching, and judging after a few decades)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
VolleyGame wrote:

I'm the same as you, except that I prefer it that way.

Pete (is pretty good at buying, teaching, and judging after a few decades)

I've been in this role for about 80% of my boardgaming experiences, there was no need for an 'instructor' in the other 15%, and the last 5%, someone else had the role.
And I prefer it that way, too. I'd probably prefer to be in that role 100%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep in my soul, that is what I want to be. Usually it is shared around the table though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's mostly the same with me, but then I'm the main "gamer" of my group and the oldest by far. I actually don't mind it since it generally gives me a bigger say in just what games we'll be playing. The only times I've found it to be a little vexing is when they don't even try to learn the rules on their own for games they themselves have suggested, and, worse, when they've tried to push me into buying games they want to try out. LOL. If they want to try some new game out there that bad, they can darn well spend their own money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm our groups proxy to the real rulemeister, internet/bgg forums
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'm the same. I don't really have a group though. It's just my wife and I. If I did have a group it'd probably be the same, I don't like learning rules from other people and prefer reading them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
My old group the roles of purchaser, teacher, and rulesmeister are divided between who purchased the game. While playing RPGs the ones with the copy of the book split the roles also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fisher
United States
east lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
50% buyer.
Nearly 100% rules reader, which i love. I love learning new games. I don't mind being the rules guru.
Nearly 100% teacher, which is difficult at times. Many times i flat out say we play something old because i don't have it in me to teach on a particular day. And we've learned that new games have to be the 1st game played. Otherwise people are already fried/burnt out/whatever to learn something new.
I'm fine with how it is. I could be the non-buyer and non-teacher but i will always want to read the rule books and be the rules guru.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
96% for all three. Basically, 1 out of every 25 games played is one brought by someone else. All others I own/teach. I do not have a problem with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play with family it's all me explaining how to play a new game or brush up on one we haven't played for awhile; I usually bring the game(s). I do try to meet with a group of other players, at least bi-weekly, that play board games. In that gathering I'm the one being instructed if any new game on the table and haven't been asked to bring one of mine yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
It depends on your play group.

I have 3 general play groups

Group 1: This is my gamers group. My brother and several fiends and we are all engineering geeks and love games. We either play board games, table games (pool, foosball) or video games. In this group everyone contributes and we rotate homes to play. With this group we can play everything from Battletech, Car Wars, MERC and other type of deep rule games.

Group 2:
Family. Here either me or my brother are doing ALL of the work. We try to keep this to party and family games plus we have lot of children so there is limit to their patience and attention span. The games have to be easy. We are talking Sequence, Codenames, Formula D & America type of games

Group 3: Non-gaming Friends with open-minds willing to play but not willing to take the effort to go through a long rules manual. However, we have played Walking Dead, Catan, Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition Board Game as well as card games like Exploding Kittens and Cards Against Humanity. Again, I am doing all the buying and I am the Game Master

You have to adjust what games you play with whom you are going to play with and unless the group is full of other people who are just as passionate about games, you are doing the work period. I call them "casual gamers" -- Casual Gamers do not want to do the upfront work but willing to have good time if someone helps them along.

If me or my brother did not lead the effort, we would be stuck playing Monopoly or Life or some such mindless game.

It does not matter if it is this forum or a video game forum (How do I get my ____ to play video games) the issue is the same. You love games, you really love games -- don't expect anyone else to have the same passion unless they are of the same mind.

I don't plan or try to make anyone get into games like I do. They either love them or they don't. Right now my kids are indifferent and I don't believe either will ever love board games. They are all over video games and that is probably because their friends are all about video games and none of their parents care about board games.

It is what it is. Game on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp
United States
Yellowstone National Park
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, sounds just like me. I own and teach all the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like sitting in the pilot's seat. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our group we all buy games. This is both good and bad. The good part is that you get to play a large variety of games and you don't even have to buy that many of them. The bad part is that you are constantly playing new games and rarely delving into any one game. Also you don't get to play the games that you are probably most excited about (i.e. your own) all that often.

In our group everybody usually watches rules videos or reads rules in advance of playing the game for the first time. The owner usually reads them extra well, but there are rarely big rules explanations, only short recaps of rules and rules clarifications. This is undeniably a great thing. When you are playing lots of medium to medium-heavy games and often only get to play a game once or twice you want everybody to known the rules well when you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Auer
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a dedicated room I'm my house just for playing games. So in 99% of all case we play at my place and also a game of my collection. My main gaming partner actually does not own any board games at all. He rather spends his money on magic cards and I'm fine with that.

I just love to own games and study the rules. I have a 45min train journey everyday and that's the perfect time to read rules etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wormaap wrote:
Same thing here. I'm glad I have some people to play with, but I do end up always being the one who buys games, reads the rules, teaches them and moderates them. Of course I'm also the one being told they didn't explain that one crucial rule, or 'but you just did that thing you're telling me I can't do yourself!'.

Man I can completely relate. I`m also the only buyer in the group (well it`s not really a group since we don`t have a schedule for game nights, but we play on average at least once a month I would say...the same 4 people usually). I`m also the rules teacher, and of course after I explain the basics everyone gets that sort-of-glazed-eyes look that tells you they just want to start playing already. And halfway through the game when an uncommon situation arrises everyone is like 'of course he did not tell us that' and rolling their eyes.shake It`s fine, I can`t complain since I have people to play with that actually enjoy playing...but it would be nice to try a new game that I did not buy myself once in a while.

The only friend of mine that has gotten deep enough into this hobby to actually buy games lives in the UK now...but every time he comes home for holidays he brings something new to play with us so it could be worse I guess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
I now am because others' games are not to my taste. I solely like card games. I played board games quite a lot during a year and a half and have grown very weary of them. So I now organize game sessions under my conditions: I've bought expensive games and I intend to play them.

I still accept others' games, but 85% of what we play I've bought, learned and teeached.

Sounds like I'm a tyrant, but my players actually really enjoy those games and usually ask to play them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.