Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Are you the main boardgaming hobbyist (much more than just a player) in your group or family?
Yes, I'm the only one who will research games, buy them, learn them, teach them and make sure everyone is playing by the rules.
I'm the main one, but one or two others will contribute sometimes.
There's at least one other like me.
It depends on the group I'm playing with.
No, that's not my thing. I usually let others do it.
No, I only play, I don't care about the details.
Other (explain below).
      294 answers
Poll created by VolleyGame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Fish
United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
✓ Yes, I'm the only one who will research games, buy them, learn them, teach them and make sure everyone is playing by the rules.....aaaaannnnddd I have no group to play with cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone in my groups actively researches, buys, learns and teaches games. That's at least 20-30 people. I didn't feel like "There's at least one other like me" was a particularly good option in your poll. It seems as though the poll is fairly biased towards the idea that this type of behavior is a rarity which hasn't been true for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much everyone in my group is part of the cult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
0Shea0 wrote:
.....aaaaannnnddd I have no group to play with cry

Bummer. Is there no hope of you starting a boardgaming trend in Alaska??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Members of my old group bought board games as time fillers between RPG campaigns. The whole group was just as much of board game hobbyist as me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Everyone in my groups actively researches, buys, learns and teaches games. That's at least 20-30 people. I didn't feel like "There's at least one other like me" was a particularly good option in your poll. It seems as though the poll is fairly biased towards the idea that this type of behavior is a rarity which hasn't been true for me.

Fair point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-My local group mostly of geeky parents? Yes.
-My group that meets weekly at the game store? Nope, they all know their games.

Guess which is the only one of the two in which games like Exploding Kittens, Red Dragon Inn, or CAH have been brought to gatherings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The three regulars in my group (myself included) are Hobbyists with varying interest levels. One prefers older games, one family-friendly games, and I like miniature and story-driven games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the primary game buyer, but my players have been playing weekly for almost 25 years, so I'm not sure I'd count their lack of game-buying against them.

Pete (likes having the collection, and they like playing it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United Kingdom
Scunthorpe
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
In my weekly board game group myself and one other are the main hobbyist's. We are always the one's to buy/learn/teach new games to the rest of the group.

There are 4 others who do randomly buy the odd game here and there and teach it to the rest of the group but its a rare occurrence.

In any other group I play with - friends / family / work colleagues, I'm the guy who buys/leans/teaches it to everyone else.

I'm more then happy to learn other peoples games and teach them as well if they've not had time - something what often happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one who will:
research games: yes (98 %)
buy them: yes
learn them: yes (You probably mean reading the rules before playing? Because ultimately every player sort of has to learn the rules)
teach them: yes
and make sure everyone is playing by the rules: weirdly, no! One guy in my gaming group is exceptionally good at remembering rules (even from my explanation alone), so that he usually remembers them better than I do. (Especially after some weeks have passed.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a group of 5 including me and 3 of the others will occasionally buy a game. It typically ends up stored at my house since that's where we typically play, which I rather like. I'm a big fan of the aesthetics of board games so getting to store the games is actually icing on the cake for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"There's at least one other like me."

There is another Skywalker...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call myself the main hobbyist, I would call myself the one with the most disposable income...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other:

I am pretty blessed to have three other active hobbyists in my group. We kind of split the duties of buying new games. Also, so far, I haven't purchased any games that someone else owns because I can always borrow their copy if I want to play with my family or another group of friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a mix between the first and second options in that.

There is another in the group who is also more than just a player. However, he doesn't properly research the games he buys, has trouble learning the rules and then does a bad job of teaching the (incorrect) rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely that's me. I'm sue I am like most of you, spending a significant chunk of time watching videos and reading articles about various games, some I already own.

As there isn't a huge board gaming scene in Japan, even in the big cities, it has fallen on me for over a decade to find, recruit and indoctrinate members into the board game group.

I am particularly lucky this year that there are a bunch of new people who also enjoy the hobby, though perhaps not to the same feverishly passionate degree as myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valery Lazarev
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone in our group research, buy and learn new games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Thayer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose "OTHER" and here's why:

I used to fall into the "It depends on the group I'm playing with." and "No, that's not my thing. I usually let others do it." categories, but now I'm "Yes, I'm the only one who will research games, buy them, learn them, teach them and make sure everyone is playing by the rules."

The old group I was in, I'll be honest - I learned the game at the table. I rarely looked at rules beforehand, and glanced over them while being actively taught during a play-through. I learn better with a hands-on approach. In the old group, one guy really was The Collector (with a couple hundred games on his shelves) so, though other people may have had some of the games we played, he provided the materials. I brought a new game to the table once. I didn't really know the rules (or understand some things) but someone else playing was familiar. It was rather disjointed, and I'll have to try that one again some day.

With the new group, I'm the one buying games, and, for the most part, teaching/rule-keeping. As they learn them, they don't need me to keep them on track. One guy has a couple of the same games, and I've taught him the rules once but I don't know if he's played it outside of the group. I imagine he has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Deal with Death
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
My clue's pointing this way...
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I was re-introduced to gaming later than all my friends, every group I play with has several capable experts of a huge variety of games and so unfortunately I never get to explain. This is obnoxious because I feel like 90% of people are pretty bad at teaching.

The last game I taught to someone was CAH.soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play with my husband and I am definitely the one who does all the research, watches videos, makes up the buy list, etc. He is the one who goes over the rules more thoroughly before we play and we then learn the game together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our group of 12 people, I am one of four who frequently buys new stuff.

I am the only one however who seems immune to the cult of the new...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alonso Villanueva
Peru
Lima
flag msg tools
I'm part of a group of 8 friends that play many board games together. From that group, there are 4 of us that play much more frequently and tend to meet up during the week after work.

One of this 3 friends was the one that introduced us all to this hobby (with freaking Power Grid on a full player count). Since then, and apart from him, I'm the only one that has researched (deeply) and bought new games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Really depends on the group. In order of play frequency:
- In my 2 player home-based group, I am the only hobbyist
- In my small office-based group, we are mainly hobbyist, but only two at the same point as me
- In my once-every-month not so local meetup, almost all are hobbyist, many more than me
- In my once-every-two-month local meetup, most are hobbyist but few at the same point as me
- In not so local board game cafes, it's a mix really

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.