Subject: Should I buy Art edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
I heard good things about this game and have a chance to but the Art edition for about $150. Is it worth it? IF I buy and don't like is it easy to sell to get my money back?

I usually don't like very complex games rated over 3.00 though but there are exceptions if it is a great game.

Please advise as I have to decide soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I heard good things about this game and have a chance to but the Art edition for about $150. Is it worth it? IF I buy and don't like is it easy to sell to get my money back?

I usually don't like very complex games rated over 3.00 though but there are exceptions if it is a great game.

Please advise as I have to decide soon.

The only difference in the Art Connoisseur's edition is the inclusion of an artbook, showcasing all of the card/board art (as well as some sketches). If you're not interested in that, get a different copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But for $150 tell me where and I'll go and buy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely love the art book. It is well produced and is beautiful. I am not sure I would pay up to $150 for it, but it is close to what I would pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:
The only difference in the Art Connoisseur's edition and the Collector's Edition is the inclusion of an artbook, showcasing all of the card/board art (as well as some sketches).

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean
msg tools
mbmb
I got my Collectors Edition...and I've never been so happy to have upgraded a game. Seriously, everything is gorgeous, and the realistic resources are such a boon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Dunn
United States
Newberg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased the Art Edition, so I got not only the custom resource tokens but also the book. The book is very well made, and really showcases the world-building for the game (a huge draw of the project for me). The upgrade was really more about supporting the project than getting the book, for my part, but it's a nice piece to bring out with friends that enjoy the game and the world that it's built on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
I missed out on getting any of the special editions. Only can find the Art edition for now. Is it hard to find the other editions? I will probably buy the Art edition if I cannot find the collector edition w/o the book.

Price is actually about $130 USD or $170 CAD plus sales tax. Sounds like a good fair price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an excellent price, if you want the game.

For what it's worth, consider the following. The "special" edition (base game + promos, with no upgraded resources/coins) retailed for about $80, I believe, versus $59 through Kickstarter. Meanwhile, the Art Edition was $119 on KS, and I think the "retail price" was supposed to be $150 or $180 (come to think of it, $150 may have been the collector's edition, actually).

I bought the KS base level ("special edition") and an art book because my wife and I loved the art (she's not a gamer, but loves this world). I'm very happy with my purchase. I would have liked the upgraded pieces, but it wasn't in the budget--it was metal coins OR the art book. I would have "used" the coins more, but I do love pulling out that art book now and then, especially with new players so they get immersed in the world.

If I didn't own the game, and the art Edition was available for that price, I'd probably grab it right up, because those aren't (as far as I know) going to be made again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All i can say is that I pledges at the Art Connoisseur level and am very happy with it. The art book lives on the coffee table and just about everyone who has visited the house could not resist leafing through it. All who have played the game have really enjoyed the upgraded components. So my completely biased opinion is: yes! Jump on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cowley
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went in at the Premium edition thinking I would be happy with just the coins. I've since bought the art book and the board expansion and would have bought the realistic resources if I could get my hands on them.

Obviously this is the expensive way of doing things.... go Art. Almost 50% of this game is the theme (giant WW1 Mechs right?) so you won't regret committing to it if you've decided that this game is for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
I realize this forum may be bias towards the game. How fun is it? They sure are asking a lot on Ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I realize this forum may be bias towards the game. How fun is it? They sure are asking a lot on Ebay.

That question is almost impossible to answer, really. Fun is in the mind of the gamer, to hijack a saying. Lots of people love it, and some people don't. Those who don't have been very vocal about it, so you could try reading the reviews for and against it. It might be better to download the rule book. It's daunting at first, but pretty well done, actually. I love the game and here are my thoughts on price (haven't checked asking prices online):

For the base or special editions I definitely wouldn't spend over MSRP, especially since a reprint is coming.

For the collector's edition, I would maybe go as high as $110-$120, and a little higher for the art edition. However, even as someone who owns and really enjoys the game, over $100 is a lot to spend (but I'm also kind of cheap sometimes). So there's that, for what it's worth. Part of me regrets not getting the art edition. If the KS for it had been $100 instead of $119, I think I'd have done it. Again, I don't throw my game money around super easily though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Ryan. If the game suits your taste, then it's great. It isn't going to suit everyone, and that's ok. I don't know if the old PnP files are still available on Jamey's Google Docs, but if so that might be a way to try it out if you can't find someone local to you with a copy to try.

I had to take a deep breath when I put in my pledge--that was a lot of money for a game (but now isn't the most expensive in the collection). That said, I, my family, and my core gaming group really like it so the investment was worth it. I don't think I've played on the regular sized board and don't want to. The upgraded bits (coins & resources) add a nice luxury tactile & visual aspect to the game.

All that said, I'd probably wait to find a decent price rather than jump on the scalper/speculator prices. It is going to be reprinted, and SMG will likely re-issue the fancy components given enough demand. I know there is a survey form, but I can't locate the URL at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
Oh Man I don't know what to do. I got til the weekend to decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.