Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Even major league sports have that rules lawyer you hate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is football. That American kind.

If a kick is out of bounds, it is returned to the 40 yard line.

Out of bound is determined by if a players feet are out of bounds when in contact with the ball.



That's a 37 yard gain caused by lying down before touching the ball. That ball is declared out of bounds and moved to the 40.

This is brilliant play. Not thematic or in the spirit of the game, but according to the literal wording in the rules.

Bit more detail here:
http://www.ruleoftree.com/2016/9/25/13051554/ty-montgomery-e...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Amusing and clever. But I don't see any reason to hate him!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always hate Roger Goodell instead. whistle

See also:

http://yourteamcheats.com/cheaters/

http://YourTeamCheats.com

...for an account of NFL cheaters. You will be surprised by this site.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You play the game the best you can with the rules you're given. Don't hate the player because the rules are bad.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure looks like he went out of his way to stick his feet out of bounds.

Pete (approves the call, but expects the rule to change next summer)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Sure looks like he went out of his way to stick his feet out of bounds.

Pete (approves the call, but expects the rule to change next summer)


Or next year will be an influx of 7' tall players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That was brilliant. Irritating, sure... but brilliant he actually used the rule. Now, if I were a Lions fan, I'd be incensed... that the Packers player thought of it first!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If doing the same thing from the end zone does not result in a touchback, this should not result in a penalty.

Pete (sums up his totally irrelevant opinion)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How did I know I would see this here.

I'm a Lions fan fwiw. I dont hate the Packers for knowing this is a rule (they've pulled this before). I hate the rule...a ball clearly not kicked out of bounds can be touched by someone with their tippy toes on the sideline and that somehow is kicking the ball out of bounds???

How do you explain that one NFL? So now kickers shouldn't kick the ball within a 6-8 ft of the sideline?

What makes it even worse is that was about the most perfect kickoff you could expect. Bounces in the end zone, then back out and lays to rest there potentially burying the return team deep in their zone on a kickoff. Then this jerk comes around and ruins it.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dukane wrote:
How did I know I would see this here.

I'm a Lions fan fwiw. I dont hate the Packers for knowing this is a rule (they've pulled this before). I hate the rule...a ball clearly not kicked out of bounds can be touched by someone with their tippy toes on the sideline and that somehow is kicking the ball out of bounds???

How do you explain that one NFL? So now kickers shouldn't kick the ball within a 6-8 ft of the sideline?

What makes it even worse is that was about the most perfect kickoff you could expect. Bounces in the end zone, then back out and lays to rest there potentially burying the return team deep in their zone on a kickoff. Then this jerk comes around and ruins it.


How is he a jerk? because his team beat your team?

Change the rule. Don't blame the player.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Prop Joe wrote:
dukane wrote:
How did I know I would see this here.

I'm a Lions fan fwiw. I dont hate the Packers for knowing this is a rule (they've pulled this before). I hate the rule...a ball clearly not kicked out of bounds can be touched by someone with their tippy toes on the sideline and that somehow is kicking the ball out of bounds???

How do you explain that one NFL? So now kickers shouldn't kick the ball within a 6-8 ft of the sideline?

What makes it even worse is that was about the most perfect kickoff you could expect. Bounces in the end zone, then back out and lays to rest there potentially burying the return team deep in their zone on a kickoff. Then this jerk comes around and ruins it.


How is he a jerk? because his team beat your team?

Change the rule. Don't blame the player.


It's a joke. I stated I hate the rule not the player in the 2nd and 3 sentence.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dukane wrote:
Prop Joe wrote:
dukane wrote:
How did I know I would see this here.

I'm a Lions fan fwiw. I dont hate the Packers for knowing this is a rule (they've pulled this before). I hate the rule...a ball clearly not kicked out of bounds can be touched by someone with their tippy toes on the sideline and that somehow is kicking the ball out of bounds???

How do you explain that one NFL? So now kickers shouldn't kick the ball within a 6-8 ft of the sideline?

What makes it even worse is that was about the most perfect kickoff you could expect. Bounces in the end zone, then back out and lays to rest there potentially burying the return team deep in their zone on a kickoff. Then this jerk comes around and ruins it.


How is he a jerk? because his team beat your team?

Change the rule. Don't blame the player.


It's a joke. I stated I hate the rule not the player in the 2nd and 3 sentence.


Yeah, I saw that, but thought you pivoted with "jerk." Sorry.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dukane wrote:
So now kickers shouldn't kick the ball within a 6-8 ft of the sideline?
They already shouldn't...that's too high a probability of a bad bounce for a penalty.

Pete (notes that it's a 15-yard penalty now over a touchback when it used to be 20 yards, making it marginally more attractive to kick to the corner)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play tournament paintball (for $) and in the middle of a match I saw a guy step his foot out of bounds running down the side, so I yelled at the ref and pointed who also saw it somehow just in time and they ran and pulled the guy out. Everyone on the sidelines was shocked I saw it, but I know dem rules!!! (in the sport everything is live, no pauses/stoppages/reviews).

But yeah I've been a lifelong hockey fan and have seen some insane plays from coaches who clearly know the rules.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Prop Joe wrote:
dukane wrote:
Prop Joe wrote:
dukane wrote:
How did I know I would see this here.

I'm a Lions fan fwiw. I dont hate the Packers for knowing this is a rule (they've pulled this before). I hate the rule...a ball clearly not kicked out of bounds can be touched by someone with their tippy toes on the sideline and that somehow is kicking the ball out of bounds???

How do you explain that one NFL? So now kickers shouldn't kick the ball within a 6-8 ft of the sideline?

What makes it even worse is that was about the most perfect kickoff you could expect. Bounces in the end zone, then back out and lays to rest there potentially burying the return team deep in their zone on a kickoff. Then this jerk comes around and ruins it.


How is he a jerk? because his team beat your team?

Change the rule. Don't blame the player.


It's a joke. I stated I hate the rule not the player in the 2nd and 3 sentence.


Yeah, I saw that, but thought you pivoted with "jerk." Sorry.


No, I meant for it to come across more sarcastic or jaded. Trust me, I watched that game Detroit lost because their defense almost literally had no affect on the game. The score just made it seem close. Had the Packers lost McCarthy would be hearing about his conservative second half play calling.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Given the venal nature of the sport, I'm quite surprised that this sort of thing doesn't go on much, much more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules lawyering has always been a key part of professional... everything. If I am playing with hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line (and these guys are, since they are playing to keep their jobs), I would expect my opponent to abuse every loophole in the system. Just like I would not be upset by a rules lawyer in a high level table top gaming tournament.

On the other hand, I would hate someone to start rules lawyering back yard football as much as I would hate someone rules lawyering kitchen table gaming. If we are playing to earn and income, abuse every rule you can to maximize how much you make, but if we are playing for fun, play to the maximum of fun.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
FWIW there's a rule which works the same way in Rugby Union and it's used quite often.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
ThinkingThatsAll wrote:
Rules lawyering has always been a key part of professional... everything.

Most notably among professional attorneys.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly, that rule needs amended.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I take it that there is no rule on kickoffs that a player going out of bounds can't be the first player to touch the ball? Because otherwise, that guy is wicked cheating.

If there is no such rule, why don't teams hide one of their guys on the sideline during kickoffs and when the other team isn't paying attention have them run out on the field and scoop 'n score?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmsmith2434 wrote:
So, I take it that there is no rule on kickoffs that a player going out of bounds can't be the first player to touch the ball? Because otherwise, that guy is wicked cheating.

If there is no such rule, why don't teams hide one of their guys on the sideline during kickoffs and when the other team isn't paying attention have them run out on the field and scoop 'n score?
I think you can run out of bounds on kickoffs and punts. If you recall, there was a Jets coach a few years ago who deliberately put a knee into a player on a kickoff because he was running out of bounds each play.

Pete (thinks your "solution" would be an elegant fix to this issue)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmsmith2434 wrote:
So, I take it that there is no rule on kickoffs that a player going out of bounds can't be the first player to touch the ball? Because otherwise, that guy is wicked cheating.

If there is no such rule, why don't teams hide one of their guys on the sideline during kickoffs and when the other team isn't paying attention have them run out on the field and scoop 'n score?


There is a rule that if someone goes out of bounds and comes back in, they cannot be the first to touch a ball. It applies to kickoff's as well. But this guy isn't coming back in bounds. His feet are still out of bounds, therefore all of him and the ball he's touching is "out of bounds".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy a play that shows off football IQ, like a defender who knows just to swat at the ball rather than going for the pick on 4th down. Good on Ty Montgomery.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
The whole game of american football is the game it is today, because there was a coach that was trying to break the game to get some advantage for his team... Great story from radiolab (google radiolab + football ... not sure if link will get removed ).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.