Subject: Best Way to Utilize Small Box Expansions in Campaign Mode rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I just wanted to get some opinions on the best way to utilize the small box expansions for this game.

If you just play the minis campaigns, it seems like you may miss out on a lot of mission and side mission. But, then I guess you have replay-ability.
However, once you include the Figure Pack side and agenda mission, and hero side missions, it seems you would never get to play those in a mini campaign, right?

If you're playing a 11+ mission campaign, do you think you get your money's worth if you just use the components as side missions and/or agenda missions?

Just seeing what some experiences are with this. I don't care about the Skirmish Game stuff, we only play Campaign and try ti integrate X-wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Minicampaigns do not have any side or agenda side missions, they are more rigid that way.

You can house-rule to have side missions to increase the length of the minicampaign, if you take their rewards into account when giving rewards from the epilogues of the minicampaign.

You can use the missions and agenda sets normally in a full-length campaign.

It will take plenty of time to play all available campaign missions. I'm not making much headway playing with my group and two to three play-by-forum campaigns, because new material comes out regularly. The most difficult ones to get to play are the agenda side missions. (Some of them can be used as minicampaign intro missions.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any formalized houserules to make a mini campaign longer and with available side missions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Crimso wrote:

If you're playing a 11+ mission campaign, do you think you get your money's worth if you just use the components as side missions and/or agenda missions?

Personally, I do, but I'm kind of a completionist when it comes to this kind of thing.

I just finished an epic core campaign. The Rebels ended up battling Weiss, but along the way had entanglements with Kayn Somos, Vader, and Dengar, while getting the help of Leia Organa. The variety of your campaign only increases with the more you add to it.

However, I'd also say you can hit a point of diminishing returns, as well. For instance, with the base game, you'll probably tire of the components after a campaign or two. However, add in Twin Shadows and some figure packs from Wave 1 and 2 and you've significantly increased replayability. Once you've gotten to Wave 7 or so, you're still certainly adding more content- but it's not going to seem as drastic. You're likely to see some Twin Shadows missions and characters come into play if that's all you're using in the core campaign- but if you add in every expansion, it becomes hard to tell what you're going to see- which is cool in that it's clearly very replayable, but can be frustrating for players hoping for a specific mission or Ally to come into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nez477 wrote:
Are there any formalized houserules to make a mini campaign longer and with available side missions?

More formalized but flexible way to add side missions (7-mission Twin Shadows):
Rise and Fall of the Twin Shadows - SWIA024 - FINISHED 20160705

Fixed but thematically fitting hand-picked intro and side mission (7-mission Bespin Gambit):
Cloud City Crackdown - SWIA033 (FINISHED 20161209)

(Edit: Yes, playing missions as one-off is also possible. I have done that a number of times when playing solo and even with my group.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can just play one-off missions in order to get to use them, rather than just hoping they come up in a campaign

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/132078/singles-missions-i...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I appreciate about mini-campaigns is that you can play through them in a day.

I'm thinking it might be worth developing additional mini-campaigns around the big box and figure pack side missions. One of the characteristics both TS & BG mini-campaigns share is that the second mission ends up being one or the other of the hero-specific side missions in the corresponding small box. When JR releases, that'll be a total of 12 characters from big boxes (6 core, 3 Hoth, 3 JR), so that could support generation of up to six mini-campaigns from already published side missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Cluff

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 3 long campaigns and 2 mini campaigns over the past 2 years. My buddies and I love the RPG lite feel and the evening of gaming in a mission that the campaigns deliver.

Can't wait for Jaba!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.