1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Long game set-ups. Annoying or don't care? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Irham Abdul Halim
Singapore
flag msg tools
If a game that takes awhile to set up.. Does it affect your gameplay experience? Finding it troublesome etc, or do you usually overlook that all of that?

And what if it does take a long time to set up, BUT, placement of components will ultimately affect how the game is played.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't hurt my experience. I rather enjoy the setup process!

What it does mean is the game gets played infrequently because I don't usually have 2-3 hours or an entire evening/afternoon to myself to game. Mage Knight gets played like once a year for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Mansions of Madness was off the table because of the long setup.
Just gave up on it, although it is a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally find it annoying. Time is limited for most of us and spending a long time setting up a game (presumably while others sit around waiting) is something that deters me from playing those games. For games with lots of counters and bits, I use Plano boxes or something similar to help limit the setup a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, it depends on the overall value. In this case, is the value of the game worth the time spent setting up and tearing down? If the answer is yes, then probably okay. If it is YES, definitely okay. If, I guess so, then that makes it a "no".

Not to comment on another poster, but Mage Knight. Great game. Lots of fun. Scared to death to try to set it up (not to mention find a place in my home to keep it so I'm not playing for 4 hours straight).

wf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
Mansions of Madness was off the table because of the long setup.
Just gave up on it, although it is a good game.

It is a great game and a prime example of this, which is why the second edition streamlined it so much. Not only the setup length though, there was a time I screwed up the setup but we din't realize that until much later in the game and wow, what a sour taste that left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I don't care. But if I'm tired, those games won't even hit the table. So it doesn't affect gameplay so much as how often the game gets played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes plano's help considerably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I enjoy it, but it means I play the game far less often than I would like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Annoying for the most part.
I have a few but hesitate to get more games with long set up times.
In fact, right now it is preventing me from buying Legendary Firefly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I look at it in terms of a ratio: set-up to play. I'm happy to spend 20+ minutes setting up a 4 hour game, but I'm not going to do it for any game that's over in 30-40 minutes, I don't care how good that game is.

I don't mind driving two hours to get someplace I want to be, but I'm not turning around to come home in only a half hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Someday Asagi will be the main character of her very own game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally don't mind lengthy game setups, but there are a number of people I play games with who do not enjoy such activities. If I'm having people over to play a game like that, I'll have it completely setup before they arrive. It also makes it less likely for somebody to say "actually let's play game B instead."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two other suggestions for long set-up time games...

1. Make it the first game of the night and have it already set-up and ready to go. That may mean arriving early for game night! Better yet, get players to commit ahead of time so that you don't waste yours.

2. When you're done playing the game put it away NEATLY and in a way that will speed up the set-up for next time you play it. Organizing everything before you have to set-up is the WORST.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Someday Asagi will be the main character of her very own game.
mbmbmbmbmb
jcarvin wrote:

2. When you're done playing the game put it away NEATLY and in a way that will speed up the set-up for next time you play it. Organizing everything before you have to set-up is the WORST.

I've usually found that trying to neatly put away a game when people are either A) itching to play another game, or B) wanting to go home, is pretty difficult.

I usually just cram the components back into the box (in a way that won't damage them), and spend the time the next day properly sorting them in a way that'll help the setup next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OldPhartWargamer wrote:
I look at it in terms of a ratio: set-up to play. I'm happy to spend 20+ minutes setting up a 4 hour game, but I'm not going to do it for any game that's over in 30-40 minutes, I don't care how good that game is.

I was thinking something similar, but then realized I couldn't come up with a game (that I own at least) that took me as long to set up as it did to play. Can you give some examples of the games that are not worth it for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Annoying, yes...but not enough to deter me from getting a game if it's interesting. Nearly all Feld games have long setup and tear down times. If anything it motivates me to create custom storage solutions with foam board, and I'll strive to have the game setup already when hosting a game night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
I usually just cram the components back into the box (in a way that won't damage them), and spend the time the next day properly sorting them in a way that'll help the setup next time.

I would never remember to do that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:
Yes plano's help considerably.

I haven't generally found this to be true. I group similar components (e.g. health and sanity tokens in Eldritch Horror, colored cubes, animeeples, etc) because it's far less painful to sort through a pile for the purple cube than to keep them sorted into individual colors. I just use high quality ziploc bags and label them with Sharpie so I know what goes in where when I tear down. Setup then mostly involves just dumping out bags into piles or draw cups. I can set up EH or Robinson Crusoe in less than 10 minutes and tear them down in less than 5. The longest part of that is shuffling card decks.

Plano boxes are great for setup: pull out box and open it. But they don't facilitate spreading components into multiple piles so players don't have to reach across the board. And they increase tear down time because you have to sort it all into the tiny compartments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer (BGG Blog) TheBrewingGamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it can hurt the games replayability - but if I really want to play it, I don't mind a longer set-up. I do have friends that despise it though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Grisham

Indiana
msg tools
mb
How long of a setup is long?

With my family, the setup of 7 Wonders is long enough that the player count changes between the start of setup and the start of the game. So then the setup time is extended as the decks have to be modified.

How much delegation can be added to the setup? If people are familiar with the game, or there are simple tasks that can be delegated (these decks need to be shuffled, these tokens need to be sorted, someone match these characters up with their cards), setup can go much quicker.

If the nature of the game requires one person doing it all, then hopefully someone doesn't mind taking the extra time to get it ready ahead of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It does not bother me at all, most people go to the bathroom, get a drink or chat while I set up. So it is not that big a deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't bother me as long as the game is worth playing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I don't mind long set-ups because it is when I formulate strategy. I especially like doing this during games of Axis & Allies. I use the set-up opportunity to plot my first moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a deal-breaker, but it's annoying. Ever had to put away a heavy-setup game before you finished? How about before you started? Do you have a kid who hasn't yet adopted the practice of putting away games with setup in mind?

I'm not unsympathetic to costs and deadlines, but when I'm able to help the problem by finding and labeling an appropriate tackle box, it makes me wish that the publisher hadn't kicked the problem down to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Plano boxes are great for setup: pull out box and open it. But they don't facilitate spreading components into multiple piles so players don't have to reach across the board. And they increase tear down time because you have to sort it all into the tiny compartments

We just have whoever is nearest to the plano distribute tokens etc as needed. And as for sorting at the end it's quicker than putting everything in bags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.