Hide
11 Posts

Smash Up: Cease and Desist» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Cease and Desist Faction Pairings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Cook
msg tools
Has anyone been experimenting with pairing the Cease and Desist factions with factions from other expansions? What works well for you and what doesn't?

I'm creating quick reference cards to tuck in with each faction that includes an overview of the faction's abilities, most powerful cards in their deck, and what other factions they pair well with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games I've played with this set, the person who chose the Astroknights faction also chose Star Roamer, so I haven't seen them paired with anything else. I did see the Ignobles paired with Kittens and Changerbots paired with Cyborg Apes, which did work out quite well, even though neither combo won. I would suggest at lest trying both of those combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Czerniewski
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, the C&D factions have been paired thusly:

Astroknights:
- Ghosts ("Force Ghosts") - actually pretty good combo
- Cthulhu - something different
- Apes
- Tornadoes - also a good combo

Changerbots:
- Dinosaurs ("Dinobots")
- Elder Things
- Apes
- Spies

Ignobles:
- Wizards
- Bear Cavalry - a very good combo
- Miskatonic University

Star Roamers:
- Mad Scientists - a good combo
- Geeks - the first combo I played with featuring C&D factions, and it's pretty good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Cook
msg tools
Team D20 wrote:
Both games I've played with this set, the person who chose the Astroknights faction also chose Star Roamer, so I haven't seen them paired with anything else. I did see the Ignobles paired with Kittens and Changerbots paired with Cyborg Apes, which did work out quite well, even though neither combo won. I would suggest at lest trying both of those combos.

Will definitely try out those combos. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Cook
msg tools
skidawgkc22 wrote:

Astroknights:
- Apes

Changerbots:
- Dinosaurs ("Dinobots")
- Elder Things
- Apes
- Spies

Ignobles:
- Wizards
- Miskatonic University

Star Roamers:
- Geeks - the first combo I played with featuring C&D factions, and it's pretty good

Awesome breakdown! That definitely gives me some direction in what to test for faction pairing. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Matteo
msg tools
mbmb
skidawgkc22 wrote:

Astroknights:
- Apes

Changerbots:
- Dinosaurs ("Dinobots")
- Elder Things
- Apes
- Spies

Ignobles:
- Wizards
- Miskatonic University

Star Roamers:

Some other combinations to consider:

Astroknights:
- Werewolves
- Greeks

Changerbots:
- Shapeshifters
- Ants

Ignobles:
- Superheroes
- Robots

Starroamers:
- Dragons
- Spies/Princesses

Also, I don't agree with Changerbots being particularly well with Spies. Since 7/10 actions grant Talents & Change Up is a special, the only cards that synergize with Mole are Form Mergacon & Cesium Armor. Also, outside of their specials none of the Spy actions are particularly aggressive, so Solarshout loses some of his play set-up potential. Sure most Spies don't have ongoing abilities to capitalize on so using Transformer talents is fine, but I feel the Ants actually do this spread-out/momentum style of gameplan a lot better (for once :o)

Alternatively, Spies/Princesses work great with Starroamers because you can conserve Secret Agent/Eliza the whole game & make everyone else at the table have to play at a slower pace/hate you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel, I'm curious what good effects you found mixing Ignobles with Superheroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
Daniel, I'm curious what good effects you found mixing Ignobles with Superheroes.

The ability to fetch aunt of drakes. The ability to return foot of the king to the bottom of your deck and then shuffle so you might get it again.

Another combo:
Shapeshifters + Ignobles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Cook
msg tools
CNightmare072 wrote:
skidawgkc22 wrote:

Astroknights:
- Apes

Changerbots:
- Dinosaurs ("Dinobots")
- Elder Things
- Apes
- Spies

Ignobles:
- Wizards
- Miskatonic University

Star Roamers:

Some other combinations to consider:

Astroknights:
- Werewolves
- Greeks

Changerbots:
- Shapeshifters
- Ants

Ignobles:
- Superheroes
- Robots

Starroamers:
- Dragons
- Spies/Princesses

Also, I don't agree with Changerbots being particularly well with Spies. Since 7/10 actions grant Talents & Change Up is a special, the only cards that synergize with Mole are Form Mergacon & Cesium Armor. Also, outside of their specials none of the Spy actions are particularly aggressive, so Solarshout loses some of his play set-up potential. Sure most Spies don't have ongoing abilities to capitalize on so using Transformer talents is fine, but I feel the Ants actually do this spread-out/momentum style of gameplan a lot better (for once :o)

Alternatively, Spies/Princesses work great with Starroamers because you can conserve Secret Agent/Eliza the whole game & make everyone else at the table have to play at a slower pace/hate you.

I was wondering about Ants with Changerbots! Also, I like the way you think with the Spies/Princesses and Starroamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Matteo
msg tools
mbmb
Team D20 wrote:

This combination actually makes Activate the Spy/Aunt of Drakes really good. It's not obvious when you should play Activate; You don't want to waste the extra action it gives you, nor do you want to leave things in your opponent's control for too long. A fun thing to do is give away one of your Heroes with Aunt's talent (herself included) to get the extra action, take her back with Activate & then Super Duper to swing a base. Actions that add big temporary boosts to take a base synergize well with it.

If you start loosing the long-game, you can always have one of your Heroes throw a Birthday Party on a base you don't want to risk loosing. This is especially good with The Burst, who can basically wipe any base you want.

Also, don't forget how good Foot of the King is. Just giving him Expanded Power on an uninteresting base makes none of your "give" abilities too risky.

Also also, Betrothed's ability to give herself away is a last-ditch effort kind of thing. Normally you want to give her away with Repaying Debts to cut your losses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CNightmare072 wrote:
Team D20 wrote:

This combination actually makes Activate the Spy/Aunt of Drakes really good. It's not obvious when you should play Activate; You don't want to waste the extra action it gives you, nor do you want to leave things in your opponent's control for too long. A fun thing to do is give away one of your Heroes with Aunt's talent (herself included) to get the extra action, take her back with Activate & then Super Duper to swing a base. Actions that add big temporary boosts to take a base synergize well with it.

If you start loosing the long-game, you can always have one of your Heroes throw a Birthday Party on a base you don't want to risk loosing. This is especially good with The Burst, who can basically wipe any base you want.

Also, don't forget how good Foot of the King is. Just giving him Expanded Power on an uninteresting base makes none of your "give" abilities too risky.

Also also, Betrothed's ability to give herself away is a last-ditch effort kind of thing. Normally you want to give her away with Repaying Debts to cut your losses.
All good points. When I first saw that pairing, my first thought was that when giving control of a minion away using various Ignoble abilities, you want to go with weaker minions, but giving away control of a Mild Mannered Citizen would be a terrible move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.