$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Crowdfunding: Kickstarter» Forums » General

Subject: True Messiah, board game of surreal religious horror -- now on Kickstarter! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Stern
msg tools
True Messiah is a strategy board game of surreal religious horror--a fever dream of deck-building, board control, and tactics. Dali meets Dune by way of a nightmare.

2-4 players, 60-120 minutes.

Check out the Kickstarter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You had me at the awesome theme, lost me with the UndeadViking review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stern
msg tools
Hey Magic Pink! Out of curiosity, what about the UndeadViking review lost you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Design wrote:
Hey Magic Pink! Out of curiosity, what about the UndeadViking review lost you?

UndeadViking has been the subject of some controversy here on BGG, because he does paid reviews and thus some people consider him "untrustworthy."

It is not a big deal to most people, but there is a very vocal contingent that has strong feelings about him and basically seems to be boycotting any game with an UndeadViking review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stern
msg tools
Ahhhh, gotcha.

I'll say this: given the option of paying money to be reviewed or not, I'd obviously prefer "not." (I like my money staying right where it is, thanks!)

There's a reason why guys like UV are in the board games ecosystem right now, though. From what numerous other developers tell me, KS backers, by and large, won't spend money on an unreviewed board game; which is really bad, because there are shockingly few outlets that are willing to cover a board game in any capacity before it's been manufactured (let alone review it, let alone do so before it's been successfully Kickstarted!) Certainly not for a solo indie developer like me. And of those few that will, I'm sure you can guess how many are willing to do so for a game like mine, with a theme that isn't "family-oriented."

Anyway! I don't want to turn this thread into a debate about UV. I just hope that if you don't care for UV, you'll be willing to look at all the other stuff I went to the trouble of putting up there and make an informed judgment about whether or not you'll like the game, regardless of UV's opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Inspired in part by the works of Zdzisław Beksiński

Hhhhhhhell yeah.devildevildevil

Who did the artwork?

Thanks,
Michael Bechard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stern
msg tools
Thanks Michael! I handled the art direction; the art itself is by a bevy of talented artists. Namely:

Chenthooran Nambiarooran
Rostislav Zagornov
Franklin Chan
Tim Barton
David Hammond
David Mann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Design wrote:
Ahhhh, gotcha.

I'll say this: given the option of paying money to be reviewed or not, I'd obviously prefer "not." (I like my money staying right where it is, thanks!)

There's a reason why guys like UV are in the board games ecosystem right now, though. From what numerous other developers tell me, KS backers, by and large, won't spend money on an unreviewed board game; which is really bad, because there are shockingly few outlets that are willing to cover a board game in any capacity before it's been manufactured (let alone review it, let alone do so before it's been successfully Kickstarted!) Certainly not for a solo indie developer like me. And of those few that will, I'm sure you can guess how many are willing to do so for a game like mine, with a theme that isn't "family-oriented."

Anyway! I don't want to turn this thread into a debate about UV. I just hope that if you don't care for UV, you'll be willing to look at all the other stuff I went to the trouble of putting up there and make an informed judgment about whether or not you'll like the game, regardless of UV's opinion.

Writing as another indie developer, I have found this to be absolutely true. That said, our group decided a long time ago not to call anything we paid for a "review." I don't think it hurts to call it a "preview" though.

One thing you could do is post a gameplay video, so people can see what it's like to play the game. Your instruction video is pretty great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely hurts that UV is the only review on the page. There are others you can quickly locate through bgg or looking at the top funding board game kickstarters. Some kickstarters have half a dozen independent reviews or previews or however you want to spin it. The most common reviewer I see pop on kickstarters is actually Rhado (Richard Ham). Not having him there, but having UV just tells me you quickly googled who you can pay to slap on your KS page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stern
msg tools
Thanks Brendan! As it happens, I'm in the process of shooting a bunch of more detailed "how to play" videos right now, so hopefully backers will get a better sense of the game's intricacies as the campaign goes on.

Nathan, I understand your concerns. However, I actually emailed dozens of different people about the game--Youtubers, websites, podcasts, and so on. I spent many hours Googling, trawling BGG, and searching Youtube to find these folks, and then supplemented my own list with James Mathe's public list of board games press for good measure.

Of all the places I emailed, Polyhedron Collider was one of the few that responded, and they actually did ultimately do a preview of the game (without demanding payment, I might add!) You can read the full thing here--I didn't link to the full review on the KS page, however, as I think they made a couple of serious mistakes in their analysis (most notably: failing to see the advantages of going early in the turn order, and not knowing to counter a turtling player).

Note that I messaged Rahdo as well, back in mid-July, via BGG's messaging system--he responded the same day, very politely:

Quote:
hi there, I took a look, but i'm afraid TM is not the sort of game that we tend to go for, as we generally avoid PVP direct conflict games. I wish you the best of luck with the campaign!

For better or worse, UV and Nick Meenachan were, in fact, the only two Youtubers who responded to me and were willing to produce a video preview of the game. I wish that this weren't the case, but hey: it is what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Design wrote:
Thanks Brendan! As it happens, I'm in the process of shooting a bunch of more detailed "how to play" videos right now, so hopefully backers will get a better sense of the game's intricacies as the campaign goes on.

Nathan, I understand your concerns. However, I actually emailed dozens of different people about the game--Youtubers, websites, podcasts, and so on. I spent many hours Googling, trawling BGG, and searching Youtube to find these folks, and then supplemented my own list with James Mathe's public list of board games press for good measure.

Of all the places I emailed, Polyhedron Collider was one of the few that responded, and they actually did ultimately do a preview of the game (without demanding payment, I might add!) You can read the full thing here--I didn't link to the full review on the KS page, however, as I think they made a couple of serious mistakes in their analysis (most notably: failing to see the advantages of going early in the turn order, and not knowing to counter a turtling player).

Note that I messaged Rahdo as well, back in mid-July, via BGG's messaging system--he responded the same day, very politely:

Quote:
hi there, I took a look, but i'm afraid TM is not the sort of game that we tend to go for, as we generally avoid PVP direct conflict games. I wish you the best of luck with the campaign!

For better or worse, UV and Nick Meenachan were, in fact, the only two Youtubers who responded to me and were willing to produce a video preview of the game. I wish that this weren't the case, but hey: it is what it is.

For most I don't think the issue is using this or that person, it's the disclosure part of it. Use Undead Viking if you want but require him to disclose it as a paid preview. I'd personally gain respect for you or anyone who had this requirement of the people they pay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stern
msg tools
I'd like to--but of course, then I'm back to that whole "you need reviews" thing. If I can find another Youtube personality willing and able to give the game a fair and detailed review without charging for it, then believe me, I would be more than happy to place that up on the project page in place of UV's! I do still have an extra review copy available to send out, so I'll see if I can make it happen.

In other news: I'm pleased to report that True Messiah has reached 100 backers and is now 20% funded! Not too shabby, I'd say, for being halfway through Day 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stern
msg tools
Thanks, man! Much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the info, Craig, and I'm glad that your project is off to a great start. One thing I would like to see is a copy of the rules. There's the 3 minute how-to-play video, but I'd like to actually read the rules that will come with the game and digest the details at my own pace. I think others would like this too.

Any way you could put a link to the rules on the KS page?

Thanks,
Michael Bechard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stern
msg tools
Hey Michael! The rulebook is actually linked directly below that 3-minute video on the Kickstarter page; folks seem to be missing it, though, so I think I'll edit the project page to make the link harder to overlook!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really cool theme and nice looking artwork (what I could see so far). Hope it'll make it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stern
msg tools
Thanks Markus--me too!

Speaking of which: things have begun to slow down a bit, but we're still doing pretty well. By my count, we'll hit 25% funding if we get just 12 more backers. (If you're on the fence, why not take a moment to check out the new "how to play" videos I just posted and see if you want in?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Boyle
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
This looks really good man. Best of luck with the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stern
msg tools
Thank you, Ryan! I appreciate that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stern
msg tools
Another update! I showed the game at ValorCon this weekend, where we had a tremendously positive response. We're now more than 31% funded--things are going rather swimmingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few notes:

Under "The Premise"
Quote:
Without resort to a shared external reality, civilization crumbled like a sand castle in the tide.

This sentence doesn't make much sense. Perhaps "resorting"? Bad grammar tends to be one of my personal flags that show a lack of attention to detail.

---
Like others have mentioned, the UndeadViking review isn't exactly very reassuring. If you aren't able to get some of the more prominent reviewers (Rahdo, DiceTower, etc.), it might help to release a decent PNP so other BGG users can try it out and write their own reviews. Personally, I only back card-based games that have PNPs (Evolution, Hero Realms, Mottainai to name a few).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stern
msg tools
That's not bad grammar, actually--see: http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/resort+to

I should know--my degree is in English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Design wrote:
Another update! I showed the game at ValorCon this weekend, where we had a tremendously positive response. We're now more than 31% funded--things are going rather swimmingly.

Glad it went well, sorry I missed it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand all the fuss about UV.

Can't people just watch his runthrough of the game leaving out his personal comments?

Anyway, game looks great but...any solo mode planned??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.